79 tilt column fitted to an 80 FSJ

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
whsii

79 tilt column fitted to an 80 FSJ

Post by whsii »

Mars gave me a tilt steering column from what we think is a 1979 J10. I think Hoot owned it at one time.

I am hoping to install it in my project. I disassembled it yesterday and assembled it today after painting.

It had a back up switch, witch was used with the GM 400, which I eliminated, the ignition switch appeared to be the same. Lower bearing was bad, but I had a new one in the straight column that I previously built.

I noticed that the automatic shift lever at the bottom was a different shape for the GM 400 compared to the TF 727 Chrysler. The hole in the lever is bigger, which I replaced the rubber bushing and found a sleeve that fit inside the rubber bushing and fit nicely on the rod going to the bell-crank that shifts the gears.

The shift lever at the bottom of the column on the GM 400 column is straight, where as the shift lever for the TF 727 is curved, the hole seems to align very close, if not exact, to the same position sighting down the column gauging it off of the front mount to the dash.

Other than what is mentioned, all appears to be equal, but wanted to ask if I was missing anything?

How will the shift pointer align with PND21 as with the straight column? Being it was designed to work with a GM 400 and being used on a TF 727 Chrysler?

Let me know if you know of anything I am missing.

Thanks!

AwesomeJ10

Re: 79 tilt column fitted to an 80 FSJ

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I recently swapped an '89 GW/727 column into my '74 J20/th400. I used parts of the shifter assembly from the '89 and got it to work fine. Seems like I used that main rod, then I had to weld a new adjuster on there. I could snap some pics if ya want. The entire drivetrain assembly is out of the truck, so I dunno if pics would help.

Mars

Post by Mars »

Wow already got it in? You don't fool around bud. I'm still eyeballing the cardboard glovebox you gave me. Looks like I'll be able to knock out a sheet metal version np. and maybe have something to sell when I'm done.

Mike
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Atla

Post by Atla »

This is high on my to do list, right after "Get it fully functioning and driveable".

I hate trying to contort my body under the steering wheel getting in and out. -angry face-
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I have done the same swap and it has worked just fine. I only had to adjust the linkage to ensure that it was going into park, a simple straight forward task.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" ... DEAD!
"Hole in my pocket"... 1974 Cherokee 360/400/QT

Topic author
whsii

Post by whsii »

I just finished installing all parts back into both columns. I had refurbished the straight column and thought I would put the best of both together in the tilt column.

Be Aware, the lower bearing is the same, the turn signal lever is the same, maybe the turn signal / hazard switch might be the same, mounting bracket is the same, The key switch is, but nothing else is...

I had both torn down and figured I would use the best of both. HA! was I fooled. Steering column lock plate, the horn plate, ignition switch down on the column, the shifter lever, all are different, and that is just what I personally tried...

The grommet on the shift lever as I said earlier was different, but I found a bushing that fit into the rubber grommet and it will work fine.

Hey Mars, no it is not installed, but is now ready when the time comes. Painted, fitted with my original steering wheel, lubed and ready!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts...

Mars

Post by Mars »

Already cleaned and painted? I wanna see! hehe
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Topic author
whsii

Post by whsii »

Well point that S10 South!!!

I will try to get a picture, but it now is wrapped up and awaiting final install.

Take care,