New stereo head unit

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
83cherokeelaredo

New stereo head unit

Post by 83cherokeelaredo »

Looking for a new stereo head unit that fits into old radio spot. Nothing to fancy, just something with bluetooth, usb radio.
Any ideas where to find something.
Thanks

dddonkey

Re: New stereo head unit

Post by dddonkey »

This is what I used, works well with no issues. When I ordered it they sent the wrong face plate(?) or bezel, it was the wrong size but after a quick call the correct one was sent out and worked like a charm.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com

Topic author
83cherokeelaredo

Post by 83cherokeelaredo »

Thats great. Thank you for the reply.

fsjcowboy

Post by fsjcowboy »

Kind of an old post, I know, but for what it's worth, RetroManufaturing is the best fit, function, and look that I've used in my FSJ's. I have tried many. IMHO (Horse head knobs not a RetroManufacturing option.))
1978 J10 401 w/ Sniper
1987 GW 360 w/ Howell TBI
1988 GW 360 factory
1989 GW 360 factory, 3" lift and front locker
1989 GW 360 Holley 600, Chopped (Convertawaggy)

deckside

Post by deckside »

Popped one of these bluetooth AMPS behind the glove box:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530ST410D ... 000DB.html
also added this under the seat:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-69 ... gLV-PD_BwE
You could theoretically run the head unit with these but I just use my phone for music/ radio etc. Left my original head unit in to keep it all stock/ stealth looking

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I used to have the head unit in the glovebox--imo this is a TERRIBLE setup because a) there's really not room, even if you cut the glovebox, for the radio there, because the heater ducts are behind it, and the radio is too deep, and b) if you're like me, you usually have the radio up higher cruising than you'd have it at a light (still louder than it should be in both cases, but adjusted), and opening the glovebox all of the time is a pain (esp. if the latch starts acting up on you, or if the glove box hits some buttons putting the radio in settings, so you can't just turn it down). I''d definitely go with the RetroSound if you can. The bluetooth amp may work ok, but it's nice to have the knobs and such (and you're not going to get accused of texting and driving if you use the actual radio for volume).

I didn't go for anything too fancy, a Laguna I think, has AM 1 and 2, FM 1-3, and Aux. It has feeds for 4 speakers, you can run an amp if you want; and if you pay more you can get up to like 2 bluetooth devices and 3 Aux ports or something like that.

Here's my Retrosound--I realized that if you VERY lightly sand the edges of the display for the factory AM radio (which, on mine, came off with 2 screws), it will slip over the screen, leaving a VERY factory look. All that's technically wrong is the narrow preset buttons. The blue cord you see is the Aux cord.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), 700R4, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I have the entry level retro sound unit in mine. A bit more tinny sounding than factory, so I usually just add a touch of bass to correct it some. My favorite part is the aux input. I simply connect my phone and use Sirius for my tunes instead of listening to a constant barrage of commercials. I set up my Pandora station and listen to exactly what I want to. Used it the other day with my google maps feature for clear, audible turn-by-turn navigation via the speakers.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

dodgerammit wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:11 am I have the entry level retro sound unit in mine. A bit more tinny sounding than factory, so I usually just add a touch of bass to correct it some. My favorite part is the aux input. I simply connect my phone and use Sirius for my tunes instead of listening to a constant barrage of commercials. I set up my Pandora station and listen to exactly what I want to. Used it the other day with my google maps feature for clear, audible turn-by-turn navigation via the speakers.
Exactly! I love being able to do that too, and w/o a massive screen in the dash.

The tinny sound is intentional, I discovered. They intentionally have it programmed originally to sound like the original speakers, and mine weren't putting out nearly enough treble, and were a little low on the bass. When I realized that I was like "I bought a nice radio and speakers, why in the heck would I want it to sound like the factory AM radio I just took out" lol
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

Scotty54

Post by Scotty54 »

I recently put a Retrosound unit in my 91 Firebird. It is very nice! I can also vouch for Crutchfield as a customer for 35 years. There is no better customer service anywhere. I purchased my Retrosound unit through Crutchfield.
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:24 am
dodgerammit wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:11 am I have the entry level retro sound unit in mine. A bit more tinny sounding than factory, so I usually just add a touch of bass to correct it some. My favorite part is the aux input. I simply connect my phone and use Sirius for my tunes instead of listening to a constant barrage of commercials. I set up my Pandora station and listen to exactly what I want to. Used it the other day with my google maps feature for clear, audible turn-by-turn navigation via the speakers.
Exactly! I love being able to do that too, and w/o a massive screen in the dash.

The tinny sound is intentional, I discovered. They intentionally have it programmed originally to sound like the original speakers, and mine weren't putting out nearly enough treble, and were a little low on the bass. When I realized that I was like "I bought a nice radio and speakers, why in the heck would I want it to sound like the factory AM radio I just took out" lol

Meh. I disagree based off of also having an Eagle with original AMC radio and speakers. Much more solid and clear tone than the Retrosound.
This is more noticeable with FM stations. Having Sirius XM pumping through the system isn't anywhere as bad and sounds closer to a natural tone.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

The Retrosound sounds really good on Aux--so if I had to guess the issue has to do with the input/antenna more than with the head unit.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:33 pm The Retrosound sounds really good on Aux--so if I had to guess the issue has to do with the input/antenna more than with the head unit.
I never said it sounds really good on aux. Reread my post. I stated it "isn't anywhere as bad and sounds closer to a natural tone."

It's still off. It isn't my antenna or input. It's the unit.

Don't take my word for it. It is heavily discussed on other classic auto forums. Unfortunately, there's just not any real aftermarket post style radio options for modern accessory inputs like bluetooth, etc. Retrosound kinda is the only kid on the block. If the modern FM airwaves actually played music, I'd opt to paying $400+ for a factory AMC unit and be happy.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Seems like if you have good solid speakers, you outta be able to dial it in however you need to to make it sound good. I have 4 Pioneer 6x9 4-way speakers hooked to it, treble is at like 6 and bass at like 3 I think. The treble was WAY off out of the box and I just like the bass.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:53 pm Seems like if you have good solid speakers, you outta be able to dial it in however you need to to make it sound good. I have 4 Pioneer 6x9 4-way speakers hooked to it, treble is at like 6 and bass at like 3 I think. The treble was WAY off out of the box and I just like the bass.
I specifically installed a high quality set of speakers. I installed Pioneer speakers as well. I can't remember the specifics, but they were chosen due to the sensitivity and power output match for the unit as well as fitting the hole in the front door (5 1/4", I think). They were actually being phased out, but had really good reviews everywhere i checked for them. Finally snagged a set on ebay.

The rears haven't yet been replaced, but I need to rebuild the cargo panels first as I want to customize them. I may try to find a newer set for the doors and move the 5 1/4s to the rear, or I may put 6x9s back there. The rear speakers work okay, but really don't contribute to front seat listening experience, so it's just not high on my agenda at the moment.

It seems a good amp is the ticket for perfect sound for these units, but I simply don't desire to spend that amount of $$$ just to get a listening experience that is on par with a factory radio.

IMO, if you have a functioning factory radio, send it to one of those people that will mod it internally for bluetooth and auxiliary input and reinstall it. My radio was MIA when I bought the Jeep. Otherwise, the Retrosound is a decent unit, but unless you spend extra for accessories, you're gonna be let down if you enjoyed the quality of 80's American automotive radio listening experience.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

The rears haven't yet been replaced, but I need to rebuild the cargo panels first as I want to customize them. I may try to find a newer set for the doors and move the 5 1/4s to the rear, or I may put 6x9s back there. The rear speakers work okay, but really don't contribute to front seat listening experience, so it's just not high on my agenda at the moment.

^This is your main issue I think. I've found that I really hear the rear speakers over the fronts, with the fade set to 0, unless there's a lot of stuff in the back. Frankly I'd barely notice with it empty if I were to unplug the front speakers.

Also what is "high quality"? I'm just curious--are they 3-way, 4-way? Mine are 4-way; the main 3 parts, plus a supertweeter
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

As I have the opportunity to go with anything reasonable regarding sound, I was thinking of not putting speakers back in the doors, and build them into the new T & G wood headliner I would like to do.

Anybody out there put smaller speakers in the headliner?

If so, I am sure they needed to be low profile, and what did you ultimately use?

If my wife did not want sound, besides the sound of the truck itself, I probably would not even fix/replace the radio or speakers.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

devildog80 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:29 pm As I have the opportunity to go with anything reasonable regarding sound, I was thinking of not putting speakers back in the doors, and build them into the new T & G wood headliner I would like to do.

Anybody out there put smaller speakers in the headliner?

If so, I am sure they needed to be low profile, and what did you ultimately use?

If my wife did not want sound, besides the sound of the truck itself, I probably would not even fix/replace the radio or speakers.
I'm not sure you can w/o making the headliner taller, and depending on your height, you don't wanna do that.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

devildog80 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Sometimes can’t decide if I’m cursed or fortunate, mines happy listening to a singing V8 lol.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeller wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:35 pm
devildog80 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Sometimes can’t decide if I’m cursed or fortunate, mines happy listening to a singing V8 lol.
I'd say lucky--number one you don't have to worry about blasting your ears out w/the radio, and number two it probably also means that (assuming your engine isn't TOO loud) she enjoys talking to you ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:21 pm The rears haven't yet been replaced, but I need to rebuild the cargo panels first as I want to customize them. I may try to find a newer set for the doors and move the 5 1/4s to the rear, or I may put 6x9s back there. The rear speakers work okay, but really don't contribute to front seat listening experience, so it's just not high on my agenda at the moment.

^This is your main issue I think. I've found that I really hear the rear speakers over the fronts, with the fade set to 0, unless there's a lot of stuff in the back. Frankly I'd barely notice with it empty if I were to unplug the front speakers.

Also what is "high quality"? I'm just curious--are they 3-way, 4-way? Mine are 4-way; the main 3 parts, plus a supertweeter
I can't even remember now what they are. I want to say 3 way due to the fact that When researching them, I remember reading 4 ways are typically not noticeably different as super tweeters are typically really high range. It's been a while since I installed them. Probably about 3 years now.

Like I said, it's not high on the agenda. I have bigger things to deal with at the moment. In the middle of home remodeling, so the bedroom/bathroom take precedence.