Reman Carb vs New intake and 4 barrel.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Mars

Reman Carb vs New intake and 4 barrel.

Post by Mars »

Fishing for opinions.
I've got a 81 J-10 360 2 barrel that's been sitting for a few years.
Idles smooth but has an off idle flat/spot stumble. I know it's gonna need carb work but I'm not confident in my rebuilding skills.
I know the simplest thing would be a parts house reman carb. Roughly $350 give or take a little depending where you go.

A new intake and a basic carb is a little more, depending on new or used intake and a new Eddy from Jegs is around the same money.

I don't mind the extra work it's the end result I'm looking toward, I know the motorcraft has lasted with NO love for 30 years so a reman "should" last as long.

What have the results been for you guys that have changed over and how reliable are the remans for those that have just replaced stock parts?

Conversely, how bout you guys that just dug in and rebuilt? What Kits were used?

My apoligies in advance is this is a dead horse.

Thanks!

Mike
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

carnuck

Re: Reman Carb vs New intake and 4 barrel.

Post by carnuck »

Try a rebuild. It's pretty easy and cheap, but I lay odds you have a bad vacuum hose or the accel pump isn't spraying (external and easy to change)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Mars

Post by Mars »

I was looking at Ristow's thread on the rebuild and it looks easy enough. The one and only auto carb I ever tried to rebuild was a quadrajet, since then I've just replaced.
I figured new carb due to the fact that it had been sitting, and the gas that I pulled out of the system was looked like molasses.

1981 J-10 Laredo.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If the first carb I took apart was Quadratoilet or Holey 4 bbl, I might have taken pause at doing it again. MC2100 was easy.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

What's your intended use?

Rebuilding a carb is easy. Tuning a carb to work perfect across a wide variety of conditions - not so much.

Have you thought about TBI? A junkyard TBI can be installed for about the same $$ as a reman carb.

whsii

Post by whsii »

Hey Mars,

Nice J10!!

After hearing that puppy run, I would not worry about the carb until I went through all the vacuum hoses and set the timing. Idling, it sounded like it had great possibilities.

You said it smoked at idle, it was not obvious when I saw it idling. Run it for a while, gas being in the carb might just swell the gaskets to where they need to be.

I have rebuilt several carbs, only to find that I had another very simple problem.

Check out your fuel lines to make sure you do not have a leak, it could drain the fuel bowl and cause your hard starting problem.

Most carb problems are with the low end, yours seems to be fine.

Just my thoughts...

Blue88

Post by Blue88 »

I used an edlebrock 650 on my Dodge and liked it. That was over the tiny 2bbl it had
I have developed a slight stutter on my stock rig I am sure is due to
dry rotted vacuum lines. Fix it first. The Jeep pulls better than my d.d. does on the big hills. :/
88 GW 360/727/331-Dana44s
Tow package, 2.5 rough country lift
Tfi/big cap conversion,

Topic author
Mars

Post by Mars »

Blake, My intended use? Well more or less just using it as a truck and some light off-roading. The 2 barrel should be fine.
I seriously doubt there will be any gain in economy with any of the mentioned setups.
For right now, TBI is out. I'm wanting to use it and get some miles under the wheels to see what else shakes loose.

Bill,
Yeah that's probably the case. Remember I said it started smoking at idle after I dropped the new plugs in. Perhaps is needed to burn some junk out.
The more it runs the stronger it is. And more than likely it's been sitting dry for years.

To anyone that can help.

I'm looking at rebuild kits, Oreily offers a couple but I can't tell the reason for the ten dollar price difference between the kits. Maybe one offers a float?
Anyone use these?

Mike

1981 J-10 Laredo.

gurinski

Post by gurinski »

Mars wrote:Blake, My intended use? Well more or less just using it as a truck and some light off-roading. The 2 barrel should be fine.
I seriously doubt there will be any gain in economy with any of the mentioned setups.
For right now, TBI is out. I'm wanting to use it and get some miles under the wheels to see what else shakes loose.

Bill,
Yeah that's probably the case. Remember I said it started smoking at idle after I dropped the new plugs in. Perhaps is needed to burn some junk out.
The more it runs the stronger it is. And more than likely it's been sitting dry for years.

To anyone that can help.

I'm looking at rebuild kits, Oreily offers a couple but I can't tell the reason for the ten dollar price difference between the kits. Maybe one offers a float?
Anyone use these?

Mike
Dont know if u have an advanced auto near u, but I bought a rebuild kit there for $21.00 had everything including the power valve but not the float. Napa wanted $75 :-o. It wasnt listed for a GW I used part # 96-437A. Its a rebuild kit for MC 2100 2150. and brings two different pump diphrams also has altitude comp gasket kit if needed.

Topic author
Mars

Post by Mars »

Yeah I've got one I use a lot. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info :-bd

1981 J-10 Laredo.