Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Post by dodgerammit »

And the panels are finished with Durabak!

Driver side

Had to remove the rstep tire carrier, mount the panel, then reinstall the carrier. Everything fits great.

Mounted the serehill relay board to the inside of the access door. Still more room to stash stuff ahead of the filler neck.

Really pondering devildog's auxiliary air compressor idea. Probably would mount an ARB unit nicely or even a smaller carry size Viair could be stuffed in the space. Just something for an emergency.

Even with the spare tire in place, there will be plenty of room to unlock the thumb latches and pop the panel to access the storage. A drywall screw holds it in place til the hardware arrives later this week.

Passenger side is installed and waiting on the hardware as well.

The tool bag will hold the door in place for now.

I'm really pleased with how they turned out. :-bd

I'll order the speakers from Crutchfield Tuesday and get them on their way as well.

:fsj:
Last edited by dodgerammit on Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I too like the compressor idea. If you have room I’d mount one of the Moreflate units in there. They are good compressors with a much lower price point and bang for the buck than viar or arb.

https://morrflate.com/product-category/air-sources/

I run one of their single head units and it airs up 37’s on my bronco like a champ. If it wasn’t for the space needed for all the stuff, I’d have one of their auto set units with the 4 tires connection. It’s nice and works great but is just more stuff than I want to carry. Airing up 1 tire at a time the single head units are great.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:01 am I too like the compressor idea. If you have room I’d mount one of the Moreflate units in there. They are good compressors with a much lower price point and bang for the buck than viar or arb.

I run one of their single head units and it airs up 37’s on my bronco like a champ. If it wasn’t for the space needed for all the stuff, I’d have one of their auto set units with the 4 tires connection. It’s nice and works great but is just more stuff than I want to carry. Airing up 1 tire at a time the single head units are great.
I was watching a youtube clip last night with the Moab (and the other branded ones of the same design), They are exactly the same as the Moreflate, just orange. They definitely work well and are value priced. I like how you can set the PSI and walk away. ARB speed at a Viair price point. :-bd

I'm basically wanting a decently fast unit for an emergency, so their 5-6 versions would probably do the trick.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

I like how the panels turned out, and still room for longer things to store up over the fender wells, on the inside. Fishing poles, long rifles, Hi-Lift Jack would even fit, if set in there right.
Something like the air compressor, would probably be mounted down in the far back end of the PS inside area, with room above it behind a speaker for hose, fittings, and such. Could plumb an air fitting to the tow hitch, and maybe front bumper area, for quick attach outside the truck.
Good work :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Having had a hi lift jack in the past, I seriously doubt it would fit behind the panels.

I know for sure the 48" version won't fit as the 2'x4' plywood wouldn't fit in the cargo area without the seat back laid down.

If the 42" would fit, I know it wouldn't go through the access door. You would have to pull the entire panel. I measured right at 43" from front top (near rear door) to bottom rear (cargo floor at tailgate) of the space.

Honestly, I never used the high lift in any capacity that the little XJ/ZJ bottle jack setup couldn't fill in for.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Very true on the highlift as there is rarely a use for them, unless you are literally in the woods, checking fences, or somewhere you will slide into a bad situation. Then if you know what you're doing in the first place, you will not get into those situations. Too many just used for hood ornaments, and most do not even know how to work them.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’m with you on the high lift, they are called Death Jacks for a reason lol. I carry one cut down to 38” in my bronco, have used it a handful of times, I’ve used them long ago in the past successfully as a recovery tool, that and the understanding that at times it’s the necessary wrong tool for the right job makes me want to carry one on the j truck but it only works on the back bumper, not all the way around like it does in the bronco so that desire is killed with lack of practicality.

I have found a 2 stage hydraulic bottle jack very useful and a lot less Death Jackish. This one is a factory jack for a 2011 and newer Ford F350 DRW. It goes from 7-3/4” to 17-1/2”. Which makes for very useful dimensions in a jack and it is good for 4 tons, super handy and way more than enough for a FSJ. I’ve been picking them up off of eBay from up fitters. I bought this one for $35 shipped because it was missing the handle. They typically bring $85ish. They are typically new too, upfitters sell them from trucks they are putting EMS bodies on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:35 pm I’m with you on the high lift, they are called Death Jacks for a reason lol. I carry one cut down to 38” in my bronco, have used it a handful of times, I’ve used them long ago in the past successfully as a recovery tool, that and the understanding that at times it’s the necessary wrong tool for the right job makes me want to carry one on the j truck but it only works on the back bumper, not all the way around like it does in the bronco so that desire is killed with lack of practicality.

I have found a 2 stage hydraulic bottle jack very useful and a lot less Death Jackish. This one is a factory jack for a 2011 and newer Ford F350 DRW. It goes from 7-3/4” to 17-1/2”. Which makes for very useful dimensions in a jack and it is good for 4 tons, super handy and way more than enough for a FSJ. I’ve been picking them up off of eBay from up fitters. I bought this one for $35 shipped because it was missing the handle. They typically bring $85ish. They are typically new too, upfitters sell them from trucks they are putting EMS bodies on.
Ooo! Nice! Shiney! :-bd

Yeah, on my old Dodge, it had a HEAVY rear bumper and a fabbed front winch bumper, so the hi lift worked. But like I said, I only used a jack for tire changes. I quickly replaced the hi-lift with the XJ/ZJ jacks once I discovered how realistically useful the were for lifting the tire off the ground quickly without needing to fully unload the suspension.

And yeah, I've had the high lift slide sideways and out from under the bumper while jacking before. :shock:
Not to mention, the constant maintenance they need as far as grease on the pins to keep them from binding. :x

As far as a recovery tool. Yeah, in a pinch, but just get a freaking cheap winch. Or a come-a-long even works better.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I have had a couple of instances where the axle needed to be raised up to even winch, using our rigs like we do that is a spot we would avoid so I agree with the winch as a needed piece of equipment, especially when solo, or the leader for the day and someone needed to get there to help the rest lol. With my solo habits I have enough recovery gear, which includes a long handle shovel, to reach a long way. May be over kill but have 4 snatch blocks so I can pull myself backwards if needed, which I have needed to do

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeller wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:01 am I too like the compressor idea. If you have room I’d mount one of the Moreflate units in there. They are good compressors with a much lower price point and bang for the buck than viar or arb.

If my older Viair ever gives up the ghost (They don't even make the exact model I have anymore), I would consider moving to that two-cylinder model as I have seen some good reviews on it. But as of yet, the viair just keeps working.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:51 am
If my older Viair ever gives up the ghost (They don't even make the exact model I have anymore), I would consider moving to that two-cylinder model as I have seen some good reviews on it. But as of yet, the viair just keeps working.
It seems like the older Viair compressors were quality built units. I remember them being the talk in 4wd circles as a reliable, budget offering against ARB. It's the later offerings that seem to be more hit and miss.

Like pretty much everything out there, the company cranks out some good products at an affordable price point, builds a reputation, raises prices built on their good reputation, then sells out to inferior QC or manufacturing for more profit, quality goes to $#!+, then the company eventually shuts down.

Rinse and repeat. :|

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Cargo panels are finished! :D

I also figured out the proper link codes for imgbb and updated the previous posts so you no longer have to click any links to see the photos.

Some stainless hinges and thumb locks got installed.

Got the Kenwood 3 way 6x9 speakers installed in the panels

Due to the size and layout of everything on the driver's panel, I ended up clearancing the speaker grill for the thumb lock.

The sound quality is great. I always felt it was empty or hollow/tinny sounding. I initially attributed it to the Retrosound radio, but those 5 1/4s in the back were shot. :lol:

It's not a European luxury sedan, but it sounds so rich now.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Nice work on the panels. Make some extras and I think you could sell some.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Another camping season has begun.

Loaded up all of the crap and headed out for a 3 hour tour down some state routes to our very first go at primitive camping.
This season, we have a new toy in the lineup. A Klymit WaterPORT Hydrospray 12v pump system for showering off-grid.
No photos of it, but just do a search if you're curious.
This completed everything we needed (except a solar panel for the Bluetti) to switch to off-grid camping or boondocking.
We just chose a campground for the trial run. It went great! :-bd

We arrived at Mousetail Landing SP primitive camp sight #1 (situated on an inlet of the Tennessee River)

View the next morning with the inviting fog burning off of the surface of the water.

Incredible views no matter which site you pick. Ours was by itself on a small peninsula that jutted out into the bay.

Got a little shoulder workout in. The entire bay was a no wake zone, which made it safe and easy to co-habitate with motorized watercraft.

Hit up a local mom and pop diner for taste test of their onion rings :D

Was pretty much out of cell coverage at camp, so didn't take many pics as there was no real sense in keeping the phone close at hand.Got another book read, and just generally stayed in chill mode.

Ended up leaving at a bit after 9PM on our final night as some checking of the weather showed the thunderstorm intensity for the area had increased. Have already read of a couple of tragedies with trees falling on tent campers this year, so we just packed up and did a night drive home, beating the storm and allowing us to simply put a tent and our gear away immediately (without having to set it back up to dry out) for the first time ever since we started camping. :lol:

:fsj: :fsj:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Thanks for the report!

Been looking at those pump systems for a while. That is one thing that our car camping has been lacking, especially when it is warm, the pump is the easy part, really looking at how to fairly efficiently heat water, we tend to do more camping when it’s cold.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Some copper tubing coiled across the campfire?

Edit......make sure you have your liquor license handy for the rangers to check :)

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

devildog80 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:53 pm Some copper tubing coiled across the campfire?

Edit......make sure you have your liquor license handy for the rangers to check :)
Some of our favorite places, there’s not much to burn unless you bring it with you lol.

Really enjoy the trip and build reports. We just returned from a week in Moab, 2nd time this year.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:44 am Thanks for the report!

Been looking at those pump systems for a while. That is one thing that our car camping has been lacking, especially when it is warm, the pump is the easy part, really looking at how to fairly efficiently heat water, we tend to do more camping when it’s cold.
I'm a skinny butt, so cold weather makes me pretty irritable :lol: I can totally understand why people do it. There are a whole lot less of 'those kind' of campers. Those kind=campers with absolutely no etiquette and ruin the experience for others.

I've seen people boil a set amount of water and add it to the cold water container to get the temp to their liking.
We just did a Navy shower. Hose down, suds up, hose down. Done. Still very refreshing without having to worry about the morons who can't follow campground policy of no pets in the bath houses. :banghead:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

dodgerammit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:01 pm

I'm a skinny butt, so cold weather makes me pretty irritable :lol: I can totally understand why people do it. There are a whole lot less of 'those kind' of campers. Those kind=campers with absolutely no etiquette and ruin the experience for others.

I've seen people boil a set amount of water and add it to the cold water container to get the temp to their liking.
We just did a Navy shower. Hose down, suds up, hose down. Done. Still very refreshing without having to worry about the morons who can't follow campground policy of no pets in the bath houses. :banghead:
exactly and we tend to avoid campgrounds, but that can be extremely difficult east of the rockies :banghead: That and as much as I like people I don't like people. I can walk out and pee off my porch at home at will, hate not being able to do that camping :lol:

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:49 am
dodgerammit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:01 pm

exactly and we tend to avoid campgrounds, but that can be extremely difficult east of the rockies :banghead: That and as much as I like people I don't like people. I can walk out and pee off my porch at home at will, hate not being able to do that camping :lol:
Yeah, not much boondocking availability here. The closest we get is primitive. There is some dispersed camping in the Cherokee National forest. We don't have any BLM lands out here. :cry:

We could enjoy fewer people by camping though the week (starting Sunday afternoon and leaving by Thursday), but being in the workforce makes that more challenging.

Did have some dip$#!+ the first night who ran a generator all night long. :banghead: From the hacking/coughing/gagging sounds he made that next morning while having his morning cigarette, he probably was powering a CPAP. Why idiots like him don't simply use the plug in side of the campground or buy a Lithium power station (nearly every brand will tell you how long they can power a CPAP) is beyond me.

Maybe they want to breathe in more smog while they sleep and compound the COPD? :roll: