Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:05 pm I get the bruised ego :lol:

I got denied there and then 150 feet later I messed up and got to do it again. 🤦‍♂️ it is the only time I’ve pulled it and I’ve done what most consider to be quite difficult trails like hells revenge and poison spider mesa in Moab. The pic spot was on Poughkeepsie Pass in Ouray CO.
Man, a Ouray trip has been on the bucket list for almost 20 years. Ever since I seen a magazine tidbit about Black Bear Pass with a pic taken from the switchbacks overlooking Telluride...... 8-)

Someday...

I always envisioned the Wag going over it, but now that I have a YJ, a more realistic option would be to flat tow that behind a small RV or Skoolie and make the trek over some of the less challenging/more scenic trails that way.

For now, we have the Wag and the Gazelle Tent setup for trips.

The Oklahoma trip was a rare, long haul, but definitely put us in the realistic mindset of needing something we could cruise that was bigger and more powerful for treks like that. Gives us something to work towards within the next 10 years.

Just gotta remember to enjoy the journey in the meantime. :-bd
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

We started traveling over 20 years ago, we had an opportunity to got to Moab UT with friends, it was a serious bucket list place to go so we skimped and saved to go, it was such an experience that we made the life decision that we had to do more. So we do a minimum of 3, 9-15 day trips a year and they are almost always around exploring the road less traveled off road. For a number of years we traveled the country looking for the hardest, dumbest stuff to put rubber on, today it’s more about seeing over the mountain or around the bend, with a few obstacles mixed in. We love exploring the Rockies and west with a focus on SE Utah.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 pm We started traveling over 20 years ago, we had an opportunity to got to Moab UT with friends, it was a serious bucket list place to go so we skimped and saved to go, it was such an experience that we made the life decision that we had to do more. So we do a minimum of 3, 9-15 day trips a year and they are almost always around exploring the road less traveled off road. For a number of years we traveled the country looking for the hardest, dumbest stuff to put rubber on, today it’s more about seeing over the mountain or around the bend, with a few obstacles mixed in. We love exploring the Rockies and west with a focus on SE Utah.
We're in a similar spot. With a regular work schedule, the longer trips aren't within the scope yet, but we try to do about 3 camping trips a year. Typically, we range 3-4 days on each, then also do plenty of day trips to closer areas to do events we like.
Within about 10 years from now, I want to get into the pre-retirement phase, if possible, and either scale back on the work week, or transition to a more seasonal schedule in a job that aligns more with my lifestyle or interests. That'll require getting out of the factory life (which I'm A-OK with) and into a lower paying, yet much less demanding job and schedule.

I have no desire to work til the ever increasing, mandated retirement age. They can stuff that where the sun don't shine.
Life's too short, and there's too much to live for other than making some other moron rich.
I've pulled my overtime and did the hustle crap as much as I needed, but way more than I wanted.
My stuff is paid for. I no longer volunteer to 'go the extra mile'. :-bd
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:25 pm
Yeller wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 pm We started traveling over 20 years ago, we had an opportunity to got to Moab UT with friends, it was a serious bucket list place to go so we skimped and saved to go, it was such an experience that we made the life decision that we had to do more. So we do a minimum of 3, 9-15 day trips a year and they are almost always around exploring the road less traveled off road. For a number of years we traveled the country looking for the hardest, dumbest stuff to put rubber on, today it’s more about seeing over the mountain or around the bend, with a few obstacles mixed in. We love exploring the Rockies and west with a focus on SE Utah.
We're in a similar spot. With a regular work schedule, the longer trips aren't within the scope yet, but we try to do about 3 camping trips a year. Typically, we range 3-4 days on each, then also do plenty of day trips to closer areas to do events we like.
Within about 10 years from now, I want to get into the pre-retirement phase, if possible, and either scale back on the work week, or transition to a more seasonal schedule in a job that aligns more with my lifestyle or interests. That'll require getting out of the factory life (which I'm A-OK with) and into a lower paying, yet much less demanding job and schedule.

I have no desire to work til the ever increasing, mandated retirement age. They can stuff that where the sun don't shine.
Life's too short, and there's too much to live for other than making some other moron rich.
I've pulled my overtime and did the hustle crap as much as I needed, but way more than I wanted.
My stuff is paid for. I no longer volunteer to 'go the extra mile'. :-bd
Sounds like we have similar desires. I’m fortunate enough to work for a company that provides more PTO than I can really use, but I’ve been there since 97 lol. We have some health things that will prevent early retirement so we just go a lot. I give them plenty but they pay me well and since I travel for work, often I get to double dip, got to spend 6 days in Townsend for the cost of an RV spot and enjoy the smokies just 2 weeks ago.

My life moto for the last several years is “plan like tomorrow might happen, but go like it is never going to”.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:40 pm My life moto for the last several years is “plan like tomorrow might happen, but go like it is never going to”.

:-bd

Mine is "Life is uncertain. Enjoy the dessert now."

The one thing that slapped me in the face is just a year ago, there was this guy, old enough to retire, but always worried about having a certain amount in his 401K. He kept pushing retirement back, waiting for that magic number to hit. He was getting pretty serious about a spring retirement. Going home from work, on a Friday, early in December to watch his granddaughter's dance recital, a teenager crossed the double yellow line and hit him head on at a high rate of speed.

All that time he spent doing extra at work. Pushing back his retirement travel plans with his wife.....

....for nothing.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Exactly. I graduated from a very small school, my class was large at 23. By the time I was 21 we were 18, all drug and alcohol related by themselves or someone around them. Was a real eye opener, life is fragile live it! And no I don’t drink, hate the feeling.

Also I’ve watched a lot of people retire that didn’t do the things they wanted to do in retirement before retirement. They never do what they said they wanted to do more than once maybe twice. If it isn’t part of your lifestyle before rarely will it be after, it will just be a novelty.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeller wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:22 am Exactly. I graduated from a very small school, my class was large at 23. By the time I was 21 we were 18, all drug and alcohol related by themselves or someone around them. Was a real eye opener, life is fragile live it! And no I don’t drink, hate the feeling.

Also I’ve watched a lot of people retire that didn’t do the things they wanted to do in retirement before retirement. They never do what they said they wanted to do more than once maybe twice. If it isn’t part of your lifestyle before rarely will it be after, it will just be a novelty.

I only started drinking occasionally (and very occasionally) around 30. I seen first hand what it did to a couple of classmates (came upon the wreck just a couple minutes after it happened), so it really gave me perspective.

I only drink one, and when I do, I'm staying put for several hours. I've noticed specific times I have one. Camping, grilling, or have finished a big project and am happy it's over and want to unwind afterwards. That's it.
Never been drunk as far as hangover, puking, etc. Once I get a slight buzz, I stop, just chill out and enjoy the calming effect, usually while snacking or having a meal. More often than not, I find myself foregoing alcohol. If it disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't care. I'd probably just replace it with a dessert or something :lol:

As far as retirement, my grandfathers have been my inspiration. Both stayed busy, immersing themselves as much as they could into a passion/hobby. But yeah, they always enjoyed doing those things before retirement. Retirement just freed up their schedule to do that thing even more.

Bakydnutbstr

Post by Bakydnutbstr »

Nice job on the rims,Caps (scrubbed with Brillo cleaned pretty nice, don’t notice pitting and peeling chrome so much),red ~white ~blue,mine I used permanent markers. The red blue were translucent,I did “JEEP” center in black but will use paint pen white to color it in, it will stand out much nicer.
Nice repair on the roof. I love to read when JEEPERS do the work themselves.
Like part bout cutting out leaf spring reminds me of cutting out all 8 bolts on mine ,the joy! & memories.
You don’t have much rust on parts . Oh when you did the lift did you have to change the pitman arm for more drop to reach steering link?
Awesome companion to ride along with ya,best friend.;

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Bakydnutbstr wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:48 pm Nice job on the rims,Caps (scrubbed with Brillo cleaned pretty nice, don’t notice pitting and peeling chrome so much),red ~white ~blue,mine I used permanent markers. The red blue were translucent,I did “JEEP” center in black but will use paint pen white to color it in, it will stand out much nicer.
Nice repair on the roof. I love to read when JEEPERS do the work themselves.
Like part bout cutting out leaf spring reminds me of cutting out all 8 bolts on mine ,the joy! & memories.
You don’t have much rust on parts . Oh when you did the lift did you have to change the pitman arm for more drop to reach steering link?
Awesome companion to ride along with ya,best friend.;
Pitman arm is stock. According to BJ's you don't need to change until about 4" of lift. I do get a small bit of bump steer on harsher impacts, but I also need to replace the steering stabilizer, so that may 'hide' the issue once replaced.

Yeah, the GSD loves Jeep rides. :-bd