700R4 Swap (Early FSJ)

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sierrablue

700R4 Swap (Early FSJ)

Post by sierrablue »

https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-kic ... ost2478417

^Here's my write up on my 700r4 installation; if you have any questions about it or want specific pictures of it or anything, feel free to PM me or reply to this thread. It goes over all the stuff I wish I'd known going into it.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), 700R4, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

Analog

Re: 700R4 Swap (Early FSJ)

Post by Analog »

Do you have any more detailed info on the shift linkage that you used? I'm still using the original and the ratio makes the lowest possible gear on the 700R4 third, and just barely which means it pops out of 3rd if I don't hold it in place. It would be nice to get the shifter to allow all gears. It sounds like you made that happen.
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I see you got the same, lousy instructions, support, and indifference from Advance as I did with the GM gen3->AMC torqueflight adapter.

I think they're well made products, just a documentation and tech support crew that doesn't give a $#!+.

I have found another forum post concerning their GM350 ->Torquflight adapter and how the instructions and tech support sucked. It was from before my issue.

What interested me on my adapter was the extra holes that didn't go to anything. Not to mention the fact that their request to modify the bolt hole placement on the 727 made no sense as their offset holes on the adapter didn't need to be offset at all for the gen 3 motors.

It's like they took their 350 adapter and punched more holes in it without bothering to load the design back into their CAD system, delete the unnecessary holes and redraw the holes required and actually make a specific part.

Pure laziness.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Analog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:27 pm Do you have any more detailed info on the shift linkage that you used? I'm still using the original and the ratio makes the lowest possible gear on the 700R4 third, and just barely which means it pops out of 3rd if I don't hold it in place. It would be nice to get the shifter to allow all gears. It sounds like you made that happen.
https://bjsoffroad.com/gm-transmission- ... t-linkage/

This is the kit; takes a little bit of thinking about and orienting when you first pull it out, but because the arm on the transmission is slotted, if you move the rod back towards the transmission (giving you less leverage, which does make it a LITTLE harder to shift), this allows you to get more effective throw on the transmission side with the same column throw, if that makes any sense. This does involve lengthening the rod, but the kit is very adjustable and has one end that you can thread out some to make it longer, once you have it cut to about where it needs to be.

The kit was designed for anything with a column and a GM transmission, so it's pretty universal and can be adapter to do whatever you want it to. Hopefully that makes some sense--if not feel free to ask more questions, and I can get pictures too.
Last edited by sierrablue on Fri May 03, 2024 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

dodgerammit wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am I see you got the same, lousy instructions, support, and indifference from Advance as I did with the GM gen3->AMC torqueflight adapter.

I think they're well made products, just a documentation and tech support crew that doesn't give a $#!+.

I have found another forum post concerning their GM350 ->Torquflight adapter and how the instructions and tech support sucked. It was from before my issue.

What interested me on my adapter was the extra holes that didn't go to anything. Not to mention the fact that their request to modify the bolt hole placement on the 727 made no sense as their offset holes on the adapter didn't need to be offset at all for the gen 3 motors.

It's like they took their 350 adapter and punched more holes in it without bothering to load the design back into their CAD system, delete the unnecessary holes and redraw the holes required and actually make a specific part.

Pure laziness.
I can't decide if it makes me feel better that other people have the same issues with them, or worse that they're just that bad to deal with.

I kind of understand on mine why it's a 3-piece adapter; it allows them to use the individual parts to adapt all kinds of different things together, and makes the process cheaper for them, but if they're going to do that they really need some real instructions as well as a tech support group that can tell me more than "I've seen it bolted together and I know it works". I was very disappointed, especially considering how long they've been in business, and how many people love their Atlas.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Dec 1962 Panel Delivery
Woods Find
All Original 4x4

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

sierrablue wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:49 pm
Analog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:27 pm Do you have any more detailed info on the shift linkage that you used? I'm still using the original and the ratio makes the lowest possible gear on the 700R4 third, and just barely which means it pops out of 3rd if I don't hold it in place. It would be nice to get the shifter to allow all gears. It sounds like you made that happen.
https://bjsoffroad.com/gm-transmission- ... t-linkage/

This is the kit; takes a little bit of thinking about and orienting when you first pull it out, but because the arm on the transmission is slotted, if you move the rod back towards the transmission (giving you less leverage, which does make it a LITTLE harder to shift), this allows you to get more effective throw on the transmission side with the same column throw, if that makes any sense. This does involve lengthening the rod, but the kit is very adjustable and has one end that you can thread out some to make it longer, once you have it cut to about where it needs to be.

The kit was designed for anything with a column and a GM transmission, so it's pretty universal and can be adapter to do whatever you want it to. Hopefully that makes some sense--if not feel free to ask more questions, and I can get pictures too.
Sierra, does that BJ's give you the ability to 'fit' all 7 positions in the throw of the column travel?
I'm sure there would have to be a new window printed too, right?
Thanks
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

Analog

Post by Analog »

Sierrablue, I just ordered from the link. Thanks for the info.

I assumed I would cut some clear plastic to fit the shifter window on the column and add letters to match up with however the shifter eventually lands for each gear position.
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.