Anyone else get frustrated with the PO?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Catmanjohn

Anyone else get frustrated with the PO?

Post by Catmanjohn »

:banghead:

mallthus

Re: Anyone else get frustrated with the PO?

Post by mallthus »

Who hasn’t?

My most recent Wagoneer, an 82, was full of dubious, ill advised, or just plain stupid work by the PO. We could start with the undersized battery and go through to the Chinese tires and patterned velour reupholstery. Still, I fixed the most glaring problems, drive it for two years, and sold it for half again what I paid for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

will e

Post by will e »

I feel bad for the person who ends up with my truck. :) Although I have done a good job of documenting operation as well as wiring diagrams of all of the 'add ons' I have done.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

derf

Post by derf »

Yeah. The DSPO (Dip-"Stick" Previous Owner) has had me rolling my eyes on way too many occasions.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Every vehicle I buy. Nearly. The 99 T/A was meticulously maintained by someone who was passionate about them. Of course, it ended up getting hit by an idiot driver and taken out.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

Yep. My driver's side floor boards are pretty rusty, but I've never felt the slightest indication through the carpet. Pulled it up to see what's what and found out that a PO had taken a side panel off an old AC unit, trimmed to fit, and attached it to the floor with caulking (or something) to cover the rust holes up. I guess I can't complain too much since it actually works, but instead of fixing the rust a decade or two back they just let it fester under there. This is just one of several stupid things I've seen on mine.
1979 J10, 360/QT

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I can't get too frustrated because I fear that I AM that DSPO. One man's upgrade is another man's nightmare.
1984 GW

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I will not be selling my Jeep as long as I am alive. I have worked hard to get her in shape and I dont have the money to get a new one. The emissions parts and interlinking system is gone...the CTO valves will eventually come off and be replaced by brass plugs. I try not to put aftermarket parts on her but sometimes I have no choice.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

melford72

Post by melford72 »

PO of my 72 wag switched to a GM one wire alternator. Which is a great upgrade. Only problem was that the pulleys didn’t line up too well any more. So instead of spacing them out, getting new belts, and making it right, he simply flipped the belts. Only it didn’t fix the problem. It just made NOTHING line up right any more. And now you had the wrong size belt in each one of the pulleys. :banghead:

And this isn’t really too much of a mechanical issue, it’s more just something little that drives me nuts every time I look at it. He took the antenna off, welded the hole shut, and moved it to the other side of the truck. Which would be okay if it was done right. But he just kinda cut a hole and “glued” an antenna in there with silicone. Just....WHY??? :shock:
Last edited by melford72 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
70 1414x
5.3 LMG/4L60e/Dana 20
Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s and discs

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Sometimes you just have to feed them to the others...
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

melford72

Post by melford72 »

fulsizjeep wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:48 am Sometimes you just have to feed them to the others...
:lol: :lol: :funnypost:
70 1414x
5.3 LMG/4L60e/Dana 20
Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s and discs

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I would be that PO most are complaining about BUT, I've only had one vehicle survive my ownership. Either I drive it into the ground or somebody else runs into it.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I can't be too mad about some PO stuff because I did some less than intelligent things myself. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I've been able to now go back with more experience and fix them or do them right. Sometimes that crazy what the heck I can't believe they did that work is someone new to wrenching or fixing. Sometime's its not and they are dumb as a box of hammers, but, hey, at least they didn't trade it in for cash for clunkers. I have so much disdain for the fine vehicles lost in 2008/9 I'm willing to handle some random crap I guess.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

I am the PO. Haven't sold a car in thirty years, and that one was a wreck, and priced accordingly.
No, I have had my cars long enough to have forgotten that I did most of the nonsense stuff I'm finding now.
Karma is Real.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

letank

Post by letank »

lkmarsh wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:24 pm I am the PO. Haven't sold a car in thirty years, and that one was a wreck, and priced accordingly.
No, I have had my cars long enough to have forgotten that I did most of the nonsense stuff I'm finding now.
Karma is Real.
X2, I have not sold any vehicle, only bought more... I am the PO and I hate it when I have to recheck electrical circuits because nothing is labelled, so I have to retrace wire colors... even if I try to use the same color for the wires... and of course with some years the colors have been changed and I need to go back to either the voltmeter or the diagrams

Especially when the fuel pump quits and you try to find the fuse... or the wire ...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)