-Hankook 225/75r15 (black wall out)
No votes
-Hankook 235/75r15 (black wall out)
100%
-Wranglers 225/75r15
No votes
-Wranglers 235/75r15
No votes
-Long lasting all terrain (please specify)
No votes
-Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 1

Topic author
sierrablue

All seasons

Post by sierrablue »

OK, so I know you guys all love your all terrains and/or mud terrains on your Jeeps, BUT my all seasons, before they were worn out, allowed me to go pretty much wherever I wanted (I don't want body damage, so pretty much wherever w/o scraping the body), I like the quiet (though it's not critical, I barely notice the noise from BFG All Terrains, for instance), and it being a daily driver, mileage is somewhat important. Oh, money is a concern so all seasons seem like the way to go, unless I get some hard all terrains that'll last forever.

So I'm wondering what the best tire to get is. I'm going to be swapping to 15x7" aluminum wheels, because these tires are wearing out in the middle really quickly, but not on the sides, and there's a pretty good bulge in the sidewall.

They're not my top choice, but are the Goodyear Wranglers really very good? They're pretty cheap, and at least used to be considered more of an all-terrain tire. My dad didn't like them on the ZJ back in the day, but then they were still the stock tires for XJs, not really designed for trucks yet, and frankly I like the softer ride the SJ has with the all seasons.

Currently it has 225/75r15 Hankook Optimo H724s, white wall out. Like I said, the middles are just about down to the wear bars, and they only have 23k on them (the tire is supposed to last 70k). It's possible I've had them overinflated, but with that much bulge in the sidewall, I can't believe that's what was causing them to wear like that. I suspect it's the 15x6" steel wheels, as that's the bare minimum rim width for those tires, from what I've read.

I'm thinking of going with Hankook's new Kinergy H735s, (only 235/75r15 this time), as they have a 70k mile warranty (and since I'll be the one owning the Jeep when they go on, I can USE it since off-road use won't be anything wild). Just curious as to what peoples' thoughts/experiences are here.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
sierrablue

Re: All seasons

Post by sierrablue »

More info on those H735s--they have a higher load rating than the ones I have now, reportedly stiffer sidewalls, improved traction, and better reviews than the tires I have now.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its worth noting GoodYear Wrangler isn't a specific model of tire. Wrangler is an entire line which has everything from all seasons to mud tires.

Its important to point out that traction isn't everything offroad. Its also about durability. Most all seasons have very thin side walls (1 ply in many cases, some times 2). I have seen sticks go right through the sidewalls, as well as rather small rocks that happen to have a sharp-ish edge. If I am leading a trail run, even if its just rutted forest roads, I won't take people with all seasons.

Is you like Hankook, you could go with the DYNAPRO AT2 XTREME. A few bucks more than the all seasons, but far more durable.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... 5RF12RWLXL

There are also LT sized tires. Though the smallest size made for most tires is a 30x9.50. Which is slightly larger than a 235/75r15.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

We have the AT2s on the ZJ now--they work well but I don't need an all-terrain. Remember I'm on a stock height Kaiser Wagoneer--it doesn't need anything too crazy as long as they're not gonna blow out because of a small stick.

Those all seasons you're talking about are the cheap ones. The Hankooks I'm looking at are 4-ply, and I'm pretty sure the 235s are technically LT tires (load limit is 2039 lbs, vs. the 225s are like 1874 if I remember right (it's definitely 1870s)). One of the guys on the mountain bike team (actually one of the coaches) got some new tires on his '90s Nissan truck, when he finally replaced his BFGs from the early '90s, he got some cheap all terrains, and working on the trail, a stupid little stick went clear through the sidewall, which is why I want name-brand stuff, but I really don't need A/Ts for what I'm doing. I've had mine on rutted forest roads and had no problems.

I kind of thought so on the Wranglers, but it's so hard to tell sometimes, and there's so much different info...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sierrablue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:45 pm Those all seasons you're talking about are the cheap ones. The Hankooks I'm looking at are 4-ply, and I'm pretty sure the 235s are technically LT tires (load limit is 2039 lbs, vs. the 225s are like 1874 if I remember right (it's definitely 1870s)). One of the guys on the mountain bike team (actually one of the coaches) got some new tires on his '90s Nissan truck, when he finally replaced his BFGs from the early '90s, he got some cheap all terrains, and working on the trail, a stupid little stick went clear through the sidewall, which is why I want name-brand stuff, but I really don't need A/Ts for what I'm doing. I've had mine on rutted forest roads and had no problems.

I kind of thought so on the Wranglers, but it's so hard to tell sometimes, and there's so much different info...
That 4 ply is the tread, not the sidewall. Not even E rated mud tires have a 4 ply sidewall. If you end up going with all seasons, and you go out on fire roads or whatever, at least bring a spare. I mean, you should always have a spare. But especially if you are using a tire outside of its designated purpose.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’ve owned a set of the tires you are currently running, I’m impressed you haven’t had any issues. I had enough flats the tire shop I use asked if they could replace them, this was on a 100% driven street truck.

I currently am running these on my F350 and like them much better than the Michelins that came in it. If I were replacing them today it would get Falken Wildpeak’s or Cooper discoverer at3’s, but I’m very happy with the Goodyears on it and I get being 17 and price conscious.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... at/p/89462

Stuka is right, all season tires are fragile, spend a little more and gain some durability. And since you live in the great white north get 3 peak rated tires, your winter driving will thank you.

As a bit of thought since we are all freedom and dirt driving oriented. I’ve committed that moving forward all tires I buy will be from a manufacturer that sponsors dirt motorsports and or racing. So my preferred manufacturer is Maxxis, they are the single largest sponsor of off-road racing. Second just for their level of involvement equally is Yokohama, Toyo/Nitto, Falken, Cooper and Kenda. I have a set of Maxxis Razr’s ordered for the bronco.
Last edited by Yeller on Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeller wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:52 pm I’ve owned a set of the tires you are currently running, I’m impressed you haven’t had any issues. I had enough flats the tire shop I use asked if they could replace them, this was on a 100% driven street truck.

I currently am running these on my F350 and like them much better than the Michelins that came in it.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... at/p/89462

Stuka is right, all season tires are fragile, spend a little more and gain some durability. And since you live in the great white north get 3 peak rated tires, your winter driving will thank you.

As a bit of thought since we are all freedom and dirt driving oriented. I’ve committed that moving forward all tires I buy will be from a manufacturer that sponsors dirt motorsports and or racing. So my preferred manufacturer is Maxxis, they are the single largest sponsor of off-road racing. Second just for their level of involvement equally is Yokohama, Toyo/Nitto, Falken, Cooper and Kenda. I have a set of Maxxis Razr’s ordered for the bronco.
Well, and everyone seems to swear by BFGs, racing or crawling, but they're expensive...

Really, you had that much trouble with the Hankooks? Weird...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Yes it was weird. Nails, screws, unexplainable holes, had 15 flats in 12000 miles. That truck is a flat tire magnet, been much better but still has more flats that I’ve had in the last 10 years including all of the racing.

BFG has really fallen out of my favor. They have the highest rejection rate at the point of install of any manufacturer at the moment. It’s sad, they can’t seem to make a tire that is round. The latest versions seem to have weak sidewalls too.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I buy a lot of rubber, sold a truck so I’m down to 48 tires on the ground 😫

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

So, (not in a mean way), why should I spend an extra $40 for those GoodYears, which are not severe snow service rated, nor much better rated than the Hankooks. I guess I need to just go
with the Hankooks for this set, and then if I run into problems, I'll worry about that when the time comes. I haven't had any issues yet so there's no reason to go for something that's both heavier (worse mileage, harder to get the tires moving) and more expensive, if I don't need to.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

You need to make those decisions, we’re just sharing information, experiences and ideas. Everyone’s situation is different, all of us remember being young and having to to what we could do and not necessarily what we should do or what was best.

Tires are expensive, necessary, and can make a huge difference in driving experience. I’ll go back to the truck that I had the tire issues with. In the rain it was a scary handful to drive, and it it was genuinely slick absolutely impossible to drive, changed the tires and the truck drove so much better in all conditions and became manageable. Like you when I bought the tires I had on it, I bought the least expensive thing I could find to get it on the road and then figure out what I wanted to do and as it turned out needed to do. In no way am I telling you what to do, just sharing experiences to help you make decisions, but those decisions have to be based in reality of your situation in life and what you can do to meet all of life’s expectations and requirements, it’s a balancing act for sure.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sierrablue wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:58 pm So, (not in a mean way), why should I spend an extra $40 for those GoodYears, which are not severe snow service rated, nor much better rated than the Hankooks. I guess I need to just go
with the Hankooks for this set, and then if I run into problems, I'll worry about that when the time comes. I haven't had any issues yet so there's no reason to go for something that's both heavier (worse mileage, harder to get the tires moving) and more expensive, if I don't need to.
The Hankook ATs that I listed above are 3 peak snow rated.

Yes, you can get all seasons for now. But then if you have issues, you are either buying more of those, or upgrading to a stronger tire. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the stronger tire at the start? And yes, there is a chance you will never have an issue. It comes down to, are you willing to have a higher risk of a failure in a remote area.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Jevman

Post by Jevman »

I'm your neighbor and i've been running Toyo AT's on my trucks (E load), great in the snow and mud, quite to, little more on the pricey side but the wife stays out of the ditch, 60,000 mile tire, I replace at 35 and give them to my boy for his truck and his labor so it's a win win. It's all what works for you.....
78 Cherokee Chief W/T, 4" lift, 35x12.5R17 BFG TA's KO2's, 401, 700r4, Atlas II 3.0:1, 4.56, Pro Flow 4, CVF Serpentine System, E-Locker front, True Trac rear, Dakota Digital, Hydroboost Power Steering and Brake System, rear wheel disc conversion, E-Stopp Elec Brake Systm.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeah, the Toyo Open Countries are what I really want, and they're not TOO bad for price...

But then I can drive it w/the all seasons just fine, and the new H735s are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls (which I assume also means thicker).
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

kjandb

Post by kjandb »

I'd recommend the Falken Wildpeak over the toyos. Way better in snow and ride quality.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

kjandb wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:53 am I'd recommend the Falken Wildpeak over the toyos. Way better in snow and ride quality.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
OK, noted. Also about $30/tire more tho...but yeah those are the two A/Ts I'd been eyeballing.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

What do you guys think of these tires? Anybody have any experience with them?

https://www.prioritytire.com/maxxis-at- ... 09s-sl-ds/
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’ve ran them. They did fine, we worked them hard on a 1 ton single wheel truck pulling a race trailer, was happy with them.

On a side note I just put Maxxis Razr’s on my bronco. Maxxis is at the top of my “get my money” list for tires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Cool! As I do more research, it looks like Good Year discontinued the Wrangler I was really looking hard at, and the TrailRunners are the cheapest 235 Wranglers they make now (and any other A/T is more expensive/excessive). Those TrailRunners are also designed for pretty much exactly what I plan on doing, so I'll probably be going that way.

Anybody with a DD Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer have any input? Ik there are people on here w/perfect restorations and/or DDs on all seasons/white walls...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

My Jeep is rocking Kumho AT51s in the 235 flavor. I like them as they are a decent AT with snow rating. They've been on my ride for about 5 years. I have about 25K miles on them, I guess. They have some cupping issues, but I'm pretty sure that was due to them sitting during the original motor rebuild and then discovering they were running low on pressure after the issue was spotted.

When I do it again, I'll probably switch to the Cooper AT3s as they were on my radar when I purchased the Kumhos (same price range), but the Kumhos won out due to snow rating. This decision is more based on my brother having ran both and having some issues with the AT51s that the AT3s didn't have (Can't remember the issues). I figured I might as well test out my other choice this next time.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD