Using a Accel Super Coil with AMC360 engine on '89 GW

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
MReno

Using a Accel Super Coil with AMC360 engine on '89 GW

Post by MReno »

All,

I recently acquired an '89 Grand Wagoneer and are working on figuring out what the PO did to it, other than eliminating some of smog controls and replace 2bbl with 4bbl Edlebrock carb it looks fairly stock.

Before buying it I was able to get it running and drove it onto my auto hauler. Once I got it home I immediately replaced oil/filter, oil pump, oil pan, AT pan and AT filter and AT pan before attempting to run it for any duration to see what other issues it had. On several occasions I coudl get it running wit the help of starting fluid; however now I cannot get her running

So I replaced all plugs and as well as the coil (the PO had an Accel Super Coil on it), had the ICM tested, which revealed a bad ICM, so I replace that as well. After that I was able to get it running on two additional occasions, but now I back to now power to spark plugs.

My concern here could be that maybe the Super Coil is too strong for the ICM and is burning it up. Could this be the case, as it does not look like a Super Coil was stock in '89.

Any thoughts?
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Newbee to owing an old classic that needs some work, but she runs!

will e

Re: Using a Accel Super Coil with AMC360 engine on '89 GW

Post by will e »

I don't think the super coil is too strong that it would hurt the ICM.

Does the super coil have an 'internal resistor' or 'external resistor'. Your small positive wire to the coil probably has a resistor wire. With the ignition in the ON position measure the voltage at the positive side of the coil.

If you have low voltage, you have a resistor wire. If your coil has an 'internal resistor' then your spark will be very weak or non-existent.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
MReno

Post by MReno »

Will e-
Thank for the reply. This could actually be the issue, as the new coil did not come with any resistor and I am not sure there is one in the wiring harness of the vehicle as stated in the coil instructions (attached). If one is not present, I wonder if this is what is causing the no spark issue and possibly damage tot he ICM....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
MReno

Post by MReno »

In looking again at my Super Coil, a resistor was supplied, however since one was not in place when I did the swap I did not put the resistor in on the + side. Subsequent to this, I had my original electronic ignition control unit(EICU) tested and it had failed hence I could not get any spark to the engine. I bought a new one and installed it. I was able to get the engine to turn over on a few occasions, but then could never get it started again.

This past weekend I checked the voltage on the + side of super coil and with key on, get 6.15v (with what does not look to be any resistor on the + side). I then installed the resistor and voltage dropped to @ 4.15v on the + side. I removed the resistor and volts returned to @6.15v.

While making all of these checks, the key was in the on position and I noticed the EICU was warm to the touch. I removed it and looked at its underside there there was some fluid leaking from one wire (although its supposed to be a fully sealed unit). This being the case, I took the EICU back to Auto Zone and had it tested. It failed. They replaced is under lifetime warranty.

So I now have a new EICU, but have not installed it yet, as I am concerned that possibly not having the resistor installed burned up the EICU. Does this see possible? If I do install the coil resistor, I am wondering if the having the lower voltage of 4.15v would be sufficient to start the engine?

Any of this make any sense....
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

MReno wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 am @ 4.15v on the + side. I removed the resistor and volts returned to @6.15v.
Measuring 6.15v with ignition on means your ignition system still has the resistor wire in place to the coil positive, adding an additional resistor will likely cause weak or no spark at this point and is not needed. If it was no longer present you would be seeing around full battery voltage instead.
1979 J10, 360/QT

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Replacement modules are generally cheap, Chinese garbage. See if you can score an oem one used for next to nothing.

FWIW, I'm running stock distributor with TFI coil with big cap and rotor with a basic MSD module.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yeah the ch8nese control modules will leave you stranded. Happened to me many times.

Msd6al and be done with it.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
MReno

Post by MReno »

It turns out that my coil wires had a short, causing the EICM to burn up. Wires repaired and starts as it should now.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer