360 Rocker Arm Installation

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
j10builder

360 Rocker Arm Installation

Post by j10builder »

1980 Engine - So I (foolishly) thought if I left the rocker arms on the heads when I took them to the machine shop, they would clean them and loosely reinstalled them because they were there already. Guess I should've specified that and I don't want to get on a "slam the machine shop" or "you should've taken them off and numbered them" string. What's done is done. I have a box of rockers, bridges, and bolts that I need to reinstall. Here are my questions:

The rocker arms are stamped with numbers I have (8) that are stamped with a 4, (6) that are stamped with a 2, and (2) that are stamped with a 3 ...Is there a secret code? Do I need to put all 8 of those on the number 4 cylinder? (ok, that was not a funny, it was a stupid).

Some of the bridges are bent. Should I straighten them to a straight edge?

The I don't know what they're called pieces that the rockers rock on have oil grooves machined into them at an angle. Should they go narrow groove end toward the center of the motor or wide groove end?

Lastly, pure laziness on this one but f it I'm already asking stupid questions so, what's the torque spec?

Thanks
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

dodgerammit

Re: 360 Rocker Arm Installation

Post by dodgerammit »

If you had machine work done on the heads, why not buy new rocker arms? You can also purchase new bridges as well as pivots. All found at rockauto.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Are the bridges aluminum or steel? I am not a fan of the factory aluminum bridges but they get the job done. If they get bent and/or ground down on the pivot area, I replace them. Sounds like you have steel, which are pretty easy to straighten out.

I don't think it matters how the pivots are oriented.

From the 79 TSM: Rocker Arm Cap Screws - 19 foot pounds
79 TSM found here: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
j10builder

Post by j10builder »

THANKN YOU fullsizjeep! I've been looking for something like oljeep.com for awhile now! Much appreciated.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff