Dakota Digital question

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jeepin Jeff

Dakota Digital question

Post by Jeepin Jeff »

I have just received the 86 and up Dakota digital dash that I will be using with my 5.3 swap in the J10. Anybody got any info on modifying the bezel take make it fit? Did you use the clear lens or ditch it? I knew I was going to have to reuse the bezel but was kind of surprised that there were no jeep specific instructions, pictures, tips or anything regarding the installation of the board/glass into the old bezel. As far as hooking up the electrical part goes, it is very well documented, is well done and should be a pretty simple process.
Can anyone that used one of these share anything they may have run into?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff

1986 J10 - 2002 5.3/4l60e/Np241c - In Progress!
Tilt, Cruise, A/C

My engine swap started 04/2014: Check it out HERE!

COLORADOCRAWLER

Re: Dakota Digital question

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

I can't remember exactly how I did it, but (IIRC) I trimmed a couple of small pieces of plastic to get the Dakota board assembly to fit with my OEM dash parts. Seems like it was pretty obvious what needed trimmed, but you definitely want to get it right the 1st time so don't rush it. Everything else went right in, no problemo. I tried to use the clear OEM outer lense, but it looked like crap and with the hole for the clock switch, I figured it'd just let dust in. So, I ditched the clear lense. Looks way better without it I'm my opinion and easier to wipe everything down for cleaning. I did opt for the transmission module as well (GS1000?). It has a park neutral safety and tells the PCM when you are in P,N so it can change the idle tables. It also runs the power for your tail and reverse lights since some of those parts go away with the old tranny and displays the gear you are in on the Dakota dash display. Was an extra $100 or so but worth it. The mounting bracket for the gear position sensor needed a spacer plate (not included) to clear the lip on the tranny oil pan. I just made some out of 3/16 steel I had. Setup was easy on everything and I just used a GPS speedo app on my phone to calibrate the speedometer function. It is right on the money. Hope this helps.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's