What in the world do they coat bed frames with?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
ProTouring442

What in the world do they coat bed frames with?

Post by ProTouring442 »

Anyone know what in the world they coat modern bed frames with? You know, the ones that come free with the bed? Not truck beds, either, but the frames that go under the mattress and box spring the ole' lady made you buy last spring.

So here's the deal, I needed some metal to make a battery box with (pics in my build thread later). So, after a bit of searching around my shop, I came upon a bed frame. Now what you need to understand is that this bed frame has been sitting out in the weather for at least three or four years, and the thing has zero rust on it. None. Not one spec. But the stuff looks pretty sturdy for the project at hand, so I drag it around to the front of the shop and begin cutting it up. Ever try to grind the stuff they coat a bed frame with? That stuff is pretty tough too! I'm not saying it can't be ground off, after all, I got the battery box welded together and in the Wagoneer, but I went through more than a few Roloc discs.

Why aren't our frames coated in this stuff?

jamesdart

Re: What in the world do they coat bed frames with?

Post by jamesdart »

bed frames are funny. I used to pick them from the trash all the time. made a couple of welding carts and several battery trays. since scrap prices went up I haven't seem one in the trash in years. they are hard to drill and don't weld all that good. when you tack them, the tacks are very brittle.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Cheap high ferrous metal.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

But guys, you still haven't answered the real question... what in the name of Jeep do they coat these things with? Three or more (probably more like five or six) years in the weather with no rust? Harder than hell to grind off? I want this stuff on my frame! :)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I was told they are tempered. I have noticed that if you heat them up to red hot, they drill and cut easier...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

who knows. ive picked up ancient ones that I think had lead paint. maybe the new ones are powder coated?

rstep

Post by rstep »

Powder coat or Industial epoxy paint.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

losers ones that I had were epoxy paint. My current one looks powder coated. Powder coating is most likely cheaper these days. No harsh chemicals to be taxed on.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

agree powder coated to seal.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Powder coated for the new ones maybe, but the old bed frames were made from low grade steel that was hot tempered then dipped in enamel paint while still warm then oven baked. Enamel is as tough as nails when baked on, that's why they still use it to coat the insides of water heaters. Read the tag on one sometime, where it says "Glass-lined" that means Glass Enamel paint, not silica glass. Enamel is awesome paint, but it's brittle, so it's best not to use it on car bodies. Somewhere in New Mexico there's a white F-250 with cracks all over its paint job ans sanding scuffs where I tried to get it back off, it was easier to sell the truck.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

could be powder I guess... it isn't that old, maybe 10 years at most. And since it's probably some industrial powder, not really meant for it's looks as much as for its durability...

crazy stuff though! :shock:

theonetruegreg

Post by theonetruegreg »

I have used appliance epoxy for years on motorcycle frames and wheels. (stuff for fridges, ovens, etc....you know, appliances) Stuff is hard as can be, heat and chemical resistant....and best of all....not terribly expensive.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

theonetruegreg wrote:I have used appliance epoxy for years on motorcycle frames and wheels. (stuff for fridges, ovens, etc....you know, appliances) Stuff is hard as can be, heat and chemical resistant....and best of all....not terribly expensive.
I've used appliance epoxy too, it is good stuff, very durable, but I can't find it for sale in quart or gallon
cans, and the spray goes on too thin for larger areas, and the aerosol fumes will turn you into Timothy Leary, ya know? :P

Little big man at the hardware store told me it can't be bought in brush-on form. I think he's been drinkin' his own bathwater, but where do I get it????
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

theonetruegreg

Post by theonetruegreg »

haminawag wrote:
theonetruegreg wrote:I have used appliance epoxy for years on motorcycle frames and wheels. (stuff for fridges, ovens, etc....you know, appliances) Stuff is hard as can be, heat and chemical resistant....and best of all....not terribly expensive.
I've used appliance epoxy too, it is good stuff, very durable, but I can't find it for sale in quart or gallon
cans, and the spray goes on too thin for larger areas, and the aerosol fumes will turn you into Timothy Leary, ya know? :P

Little big man at the hardware store told me it can't be bought in brush-on form. I think he's been drinkin' his own bathwater, but where do I get it????

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-S ... lRdslCsh8E