LS Swap help

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
COjeeper

LS Swap help

Post by COjeeper »

Happy new years everyone!

Just pulled the old 360, tranny and transfer case out. I have a refreshed 5.3 with a newly refurbished 4l60 that has the kit from Novak to mate to the NP229 installed. Question is if I should go ahead and use the 229 that came out or upgrade to the 231j(it’ll be a fun cruiser, no heavy off-roading) and will the controls in the wagoneer(87) work with the 231?

dodgerammit

Re: LS Swap help

Post by dodgerammit »

COjeeper wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:08 pm Happy new years everyone!

Just pulled the old 360, tranny and transfer case out. I have a refreshed 5.3 with a newly refurbished 4l60 that has the kit from Novak to mate to the NP229 installed. Question is if I should go ahead and use the 229 that came out or upgrade to the 231j(it’ll be a fun cruiser, no heavy off-roading) and will the controls in the wagoneer(87) work with the 231?
I personally like the 229, but would check to see if the viscous is still good in it before committing to keeping it. Drain the fluid (it's just dex/merc auto transmission fluid) and make sure no gray/black goo is visible in the drained fluid. If you see the goo, that means the silicone fluid is leaking from the viscous and the coupling is on its way out. They're not available new, so cut your losses in that case and move to a different case.

If it's good, then I'd run it as I like the full time 4wd aspect of them.

I dunno if I'd consider the 231 an upgrade. I know they are common behind the inline 4s and 6s in Jeeps. Just make sure it can safely handle what the 5.3 will put out.

If it can safely handle the torque, then go for it.

You'll need a different 4x4 control for anything other than a 228 or 229 case. They used vacuum to switch to full time 4wd, and used the floor lever for low range.

If swapping cases, I recommend Novak's aftermarket shifters. https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x/
I have the linkage version on my 242 and love it, but many love their cable setup.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
COjeeper

Post by COjeeper »

My original plan was to run the 229 but I read on Novak that they were problematic. I drained the fluid and it looked ok but I am worried because the lever was disconnected when I took it out so it’s making me worried that there is something wrong with it. I’d prefer to stay with the 229 and would most likely rebuild it just for piece of mind, but are you saying they do t have rebuild kits for these? I appreciate the first hand knowledge!

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

They offer rebuild kits for the bearings and seals, but the case has a center differential (what allows the full-time feature).

The 228 (and the later 242) are open differentials. Nothing to wear out.

However, the 229 (and later 249) are viscous coupled differentials, which are limited slip units. Those viscous couplers are no longer available at all. When they were available (several years ago), they were over $1000 just for that viscous unit. So, you can't replace that part.

If it's good and not leaking, it could last a while. Or it could fail in a few weeks. You can't really tell.

At some point, it will wear out or fail completely.
When it does, it could leave it like the 228, or it could stop the case from working at all. I've read of both happening.

You can pin the coupling and make it a part time case, but to me that defeats the advantage of full time transfer cases.

At that point, you might as well swap in a part time case.

I like the full time feature, so when mine started leaking the dreaded goo, I opted for a 242 case. They make GM specific versions found in different Hummer units.

From Novak:
There is a GM version of the 242 as used in the H1 Hummer (1992-2006) and the later H2 (2003-2009). It features a front face six-bolt pattern that is compatible with the Jeep six-bolt styles. This GM version is rated at a stronger duty by virtue of its heavy duty 32 spline input and output shaft, a 6 pinion differential and a 1.25" wide chain. It also features an integrated cooler.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

hemilj

Post by hemilj »

I used a np241 because I went with a 4L80e and needed the rear output signal from the t case for the tranny controller and digital dash speedo signal. You dont need that signal for your tranny.
I modified a cable kit, from a TJ , to use the original floor shifter in my waggy.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If you don't need the full time ability, I would go with a 241 over the 231. Its stronger, and is still readily available from several vehicles.

I did have an XJ with a 242, and it worked well. Never had any issues with it. Even with the open diff, it did better in rain and snow than it did in 2wd. And I didn't have to worry about my wife forgetting to take it out of 4wd on dry pavement.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

For a cruiser I'd keep the 229.

Full time 4x4 is great for snow and ice and stuff with patchy dry vs. part time. Whether the viscus is still good or not, for what you're doing the 229 will be pretty much perfect.

I would personally get a cable kit for it and eliminate the vacuum controls, but that may just be me. Personally I like to have a mechanical lever where I can verify that it SHOULD be in whatever gear, rather than just flipping a little switch. That may just be me though.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
COjeeper

Post by COjeeper »

Thanks for all the advice! I wasn’t getting emails about responses. I think I’ll stick with the 229 for now and cruise it until I tear it up then upgrade.

-Sierrablue I had no idea they had a mechanical kit for it, that’s something that I’m going to look into for sure.

Any advice on which pedal to go with? I like the Holley drive by wire because looks like it would be easy enough to mount in place of the old one but I’m all for using other people’s hard work to make my life easier!

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’ve used an OEM pedal with a metal arm and just reshaped that arm as needed. With the OEM plastic ones I’ve mounted them remotely under the hood somewhere and operated them with a throttle cable.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

COjeeper wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:57 pm Thanks for all the advice! I wasn’t getting emails about responses. I think I’ll stick with the 229 for now and cruise it until I tear it up then upgrade.

-Sierrablue I had no idea they had a mechanical kit for it, that’s something that I’m going to look into for sure.

Any advice on which pedal to go with? I like the Holley drive by wire because looks like it would be easy enough to mount in place of the old one but I’m all for using other people’s hard work to make my life easier!
Rocklaurence (look in the 'vendors' section) He sells a twin stick kit for the 229. :-bd

There is someone on the FSJ LS swap FB group that 3D printed a pedal mount. Just gotta use the search feature on the group page.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

^^^@rocklaurence has a great kit for the 229.

I'd personally stick with a cable throttle over the throttle by wire; everything that I've driven with throttle by wire (except for a top-of-the-line F-150, and a BMW) doesn't actually do what I want it to/tell it to; it does what the computer THINKS I'm telling jt I want, which is usually similar but not the same thing...it's just annoyed me a fair bit when I've run into that. Obviously not my Jeep--throttle by wire just isn't something I would personally put on it.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.