shipping items without a box, opinions ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

shipping items without a box, opinions ?

Post by candymancan »

I have a Headerpanel that im trying to sell, locally preferably but this guy on fb marketplace keeps wanting me to ship it saying hell pay for it blah blah.

But the problem with those panels is they are nearly 67 inchs long, 18 tall, and 9 wide. Weight about 20lbs or more im not sure yet i gatta weigh it.

I cannot find boxes that are even close to this size except a expandable t.v box thats 70x40x6. 40 being way too tall, and 6 being too narrow. so that wouldnt work. Normally i can make my own boxes ghetto taped together and stuff, but never something 6 foot long and metal and heavy, the tape wouldnt hold the box together like that and i dont have those industrial like copper like staple guns.

what if i just mail this thing out as it is, the whole header panel with the lable stuck right on it, like you would tires, or leaf springs etc.. The only issue i could see is the thinner parts where the bolt holes are to bolt it to the jeep might get bent a little and it might get scratched but other than that i dont see an issue.

what are youre guys opinions ? waiting for his response now. but id like your guys opnions.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Srdayflyer

Re: shipping items without a box, opinions ?

Post by Srdayflyer »

i would take it to a shipper who could box it properly get a quote and send the shipping costs to the buyer i can tell you it's gonna be more than he wants to pay, then again you could ship it UPS (UNITED PACKAGE SMASHERS) or FEDEX when it absolutely ,positively, wont be delivered overnite or any night, and hope to god it doesnt get destroyed and lost to the jeep community forever. IMO

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

How far does it need to ship? Does not matter, as no good way, except chancing it as Srdayflyer stated above. I would hold out for a more local pick up, or meet halfway thing for direct transfer......if it was my situation.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

backroadin'

Post by backroadin' »

It's gonna be classified as "oversized" no matter which shipper you choose and because of that will be pretty expensive - no matter the weight. I shipped a cheesegrater grill once (almost 20 yrs ago) and the shipping was over $30 and it only weighted a few pounds. Get a quote online by size and guesstimated weight and see if he's still willing to pay. If he is, I would still wrap it in cardboard / homemade box versus sending it un-boxed.

I've never shipped stuff through marketplace, but I guess I would want to get paid first before I shipped it. Paypal or venmo or something.
'73 Wagoneer 4.0 stroker/t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

backroadin' wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:30 pm It's gonna be classified as "oversized" no matter which shipper you choose and because of that will be pretty expensive - no matter the weight. I shipped a cheesegrater grill once (almost 20 yrs ago) and the shipping was over $30 and it only weighted a few pounds. Get a quote online by size and guesstimated weight and see if he's still willing to pay. If he is, I would still wrap it in cardboard / homemade box versus sending it un-boxed.

I've never shipped stuff through marketplace, but I guess I would want to get paid first before I shipped it. Paypal or venmo or something.
For sure.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified