Greetings from East Tennessee! - 1990 Grand Wagoneer - Theodore - Build Thread

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Theodore

Re: Greetings from East Tennessee! - 1990 Grand Wagoneer - Theodore - Build Thread

Post by Theodore »

ProTouring442 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:53 am Greetings from Harriman! Looking good!
Hey, thanks! I wonder sometimes :-)

Have been looking at pulling a camper to your area of the country sometime, & exploring for a long-weekend. Also, Rugby looks like a nice place to stop by - have seen the general store there on YouTube. Hopefully we'll make it out there next year.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Theodore

Re: Greetings from East Tennessee! - 1990 Grand Wagoneer - Theodore - Build Thread

Post by Theodore »

Vacuum Leak - ugh.

Mentioned earlier in the thread that i'd swapped from a home-made looking aluminum intake adapter; to a steel 1/4" one from Trans-Dapt. Upon startup after installation, there was a dog-whistle high-pitched noise that i first thought was a belt; but the idle was also really high - ugh, vacuum leak?. Over the weekend, after having spoken to rang-a-stang on ifsja.org, i used an auto stethoscope to narrow down where the whistle was coming from - under the intake adapter; To narrow it down, took carb cleaner & sprayed around the throttle body & intake & found a leak along the passenger side.

After thinking thru the process, i decided to re-torque all the bolts; remembered having tightened the adapter bolts down clockwise in a square... not in an X pattern.

First attempt to fix: Backed out the adapter & the throttle body bolts (had used OEM hex head originals), and retorqued the adapter bolts to 15 ft.lbs. in 3 steps (snug, to 10, then to 15 ft.lbs. in an X pattern) & throttle body bolts to 13 ft.lbs. Took a test drive yesterday afternoon & 80-90% of the whistle was gone, but would come & go depending on throttle position & the idle was still somewhat high.

A couple of days ago, was reading & came across an article on gearhead-efi.com where someone with a similar setup had a vacuum leak & was asking for advice.

EagleMark mentioned in this thread: tbi adapter advice that the Trans-Dapt TBI adapters are too thin at 1/4", and that the mounting bolts hit the intake flange upon tightening, causing a vacuum leak. Aha! Hadn't noticed that 2 (driver & passenger side) of the TBI mounting bolts line up with the intake flanges...

Went out day before yesterday morning in the dark, & pulled the TBI mounting bolts to measure the depth to obstruction and that's it! The OEM bolts are about 1 thread too long...

Swapped from the OEM bolts to the Trans-Dapt supplied studs being careful to stop tightening them once they bottomed out & torqued the nuts to 13 ft.lbs. in 3 steps; & am closer. Engine idle calmed even further down to near normal, but there's still a slight tell-tale whistle at idle, that goes away off-idle.

Have reached out to Hamilton Fuel Injection to acquire an aluminum adapter (1/2" thick); which should fix the vacuum leak.

On the way home yesterday, i stopped by the auto parts store & picked up a 90-degree power brake vacuum intake fitting to improve the routing of the brake booster vacuum line. Currently, there's a straight connection just behind the throttle body, which makes the 3/8" vacuum line have to make a slow 90 without kinking, before heading to the booster. This 90 will allow a straight shot & not interfere with the coming intake adapter, or the air cleaner. Will update once I have things in hand.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Roof rack removal

Got outside this morning early ahead of the coming storm & pulled the roof rack, air deflector, and hood ornament. Am shooting to keep it drivable til I get the green light from the painter that we have a date. HVAC metal tape band-aids the holes til then. Fasteners for the rack were T-25 Torx; roof ribs & air deflector were phillips.

Other than the intake adapter that is on its way from Hamilton; prob won’t be doing much else til then.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Junkyard run: mixed results

Made a run to the junkyard this morning to grab a few more parts (rear glass, and a couple roofrack gaskets). Since I was here in the Summer, someone had taken the roofrack & broke the rear glass attempting to remove it - ugh. Went ahead & pulled the window regulator & rear window switch, just to see how things come apart. Also, brought home the window motor, rear window switch & tailgate trim pieces. Tried to pull the tailgate rail, but, 4-5 of the holes are broken out. Guess I’ll try to make a run over the mountain to Jake’s while I’m off for Christmas…

As it sat:

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Intake Adapter received:

Received the Intake Adapter from Hamilton Fuel Injection yesterday; am excited to get it installed. Package included a finely machined aluminum adapter (1/2” thick), both gaskets & mounting hardware.

Will probably be next week before it goes on; have a houseful of family in for Christmas.

Bottom

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Update: Intake adapter Vacuum Leak fixed

Got outside yesterday morning early & replaced the TransDapt adapter & gasket with the Hamilton. Didn't get pictures, but i noticed that the OEM TBI bolts I'd used during the first installation attempt gouged into the intake flange about 2 threads deep... (wouldn't recommend using the 1/4" TransDapt adapters - either original screws go too deep, or the studs only have 3-4 threads deep & are wobbly). Went ahead & swapped the gasket & adapter. Fired it up & noticed a slight high idle, but no whistling - that is, until i turned the engine off. Got a shrill whistle at the last gasp - ugh.

Thought about it the rest of the day & read a few posts this morning that mentioned checking the flange for flatness with a straight edge... Never thought that the surface wouldn't be flat, especially given the machined finish being visible. A few people mentioned having to double up on gaskets to make up the slack. Some mentioned using Gasgacinch, others RTV. I really didn't want to use sealer.

So, got outside at dawn in snow flurries this morning & pulled the adapter again to check the flange for flatness & found that the bridge down the middle was higher than the outside edges, such that the straight edge would rock 2-3 sheets of paper thick from side to side - ah ha!

Fortunately, I had a spare square bore gasket; so, ran inside, grabbed & installed it.

Fired it up & noticed instantly that the idle was down to normal at cold start & no whistle - huzzah. Will take it out on a test drive later on today, when we get out to run errands, but i think we got it.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Theodore wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:51 am Update: Intake adapter Vacuum Leak fixed

Got outside yesterday morning early & replaced the TransDapt adapter & gasket with the Hamilton. Didn't get pictures, but i noticed that the OEM TBI bolts I'd used during the first installation attempt gouged into the intake flange about 2 threads deep... (wouldn't recommend using the 1/4" TransDapt adapters - either original screws go too deep, or the studs only have 3-4 threads deep & are wobbly). Went ahead & swapped the gasket & adapter. Fired it up & noticed a slight high idle, but no whistling - that is, until i turned the engine off. Got a shrill whistle at the last gasp - ugh.

Thought about it the rest of the day & read a few posts this morning that mentioned checking the flange for flatness with a straight edge... Never thought that the surface wouldn't be flat, especially given the machined finish being visible. A few people mentioned having to double up on gaskets to make up the slack. Some mentioned using Gasgacinch, others RTV. I really didn't want to use sealer.

So, got outside at dawn in snow flurries this morning & pulled the adapter again to check the flange for flatness & found that the bridge down the middle was higher than the outside edges, such that the straight edge would rock 2-3 sheets of paper thick from side to side - ah ha!

Fortunately, I had a spare square bore gasket; so, ran inside, grabbed & installed it.

Fired it up & noticed instantly that the idle was down to normal at cold start & no whistle - huzzah. Will take it out on a test drive later on today, when we get out to run errands, but i think we got it.
I had a similar issue on the 2150 studs being barely loose on the old 360. Amazing how the idle clears up when it's not huffing other air. :-bd
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Theodore, I have the same intake soon to go on my 401, and will check if I have the same issue, before installation.
Thanks for sharing issue & solution.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

devildog80 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:28 pm Theodore, I have the same intake soon to go on my 401, and will check if I have the same issue, before installation.
Thanks for sharing issue & solution.
Thanks; definitely worth checking ahead of installation vs. the frustration of troubleshooting a whistle after the fact.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

After much thought, we've made the decision we're going to sell the GW to focus on bigger fish we have to fry. Will have an ad on out the forum shortly. Thanks to all those on the forum who've contributed answers, pointers & parts along the way - have learned a tremendous amount & have a nice driver.