So I thought I had a road rage incident on my hands....

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
dodgerammit

So I thought I had a road rage incident on my hands....

Post by dodgerammit »

Going to get some chicken feed today from the local mom n pop's feed store, a blue late 00's silverado pulls alongside. He waves and does some kind of motion. I wave back. I'm always getting waves, so I don't think much about it. He pulls ahead. I merge into the lane behind him since my turn is coming up in a mile. He signals, gets on his brakes and gestures for me to pull over. Nope. Not gonna happen. Self defense classes mentality kicking in. Signal, hit left lane, go around. He accelerates, gets alongside again, honks and gestures again for me to pull over, then races ahead. I stay back, stay in the left lane till right at my turn (after he turned off), then merge and turn. He pulls back out behind me. Remember I really need to get a 12v accessory port operational for my dash cam. Flip my phone open, ready to dial 911, mentally prepping myself for a potential altercation. His truck did have some kind of gun sticker on the rear window-not against guns at all-just a mental note of what I might be dealing with. Trying to remember scenarios from class. Pull into the feed store, and he pulls alongside with his window down, smiling and apologizing if he scared me.

Talks about the Jeep. Interested in buying it. Wants to know all about it. What I'd done to it. He collects old Jeeps and Broncos. :shock:

Crap. I was mentally prepared to try to outrun a late model LT motor with a 2.73 geared AMC....

I had already shifted into reverse, wondering if I could pull off a very short J-turn...
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: So I thought I had a road rage incident on my hands....

Post by Stuka »

Dash cams are the best thing ever. Have already put one in my wifes car after a guy ran a red light, hit her, and then claimed his light was green. So yes, get that working!

As for the guy, what he was doing would have prompted me to call him in as I was driving (assuming I was in my JK with hands free calling). I probably would have skipped my destination if somebody was pulling that stuff. Really not safe. So I totally understand your mind set there. Glad you didn't have to actually deal with a road rage incident.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Why I carry... Religiously. Crazy world today but glad it wasn't a bad conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I mean, there are vehicles I admire. Sometimes I'll try to catch up with them at a light or something just to tell them I like whatever they have. Or, if I'm in a parking lot, I'll walk over and give them a compliment. But I still keep my wits about me. I don't throw traffic laws to the wind and forsake other's safety just to get another glimpse.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

i carry as well...just in case....need a good dash cam though
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I highly recommend the Cobra CDR 840. I and my wife both have one.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

We have the Rexing V1, really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/re ... B00K7ZN0UA
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

yeah, it is unfortunate the world is the way it is. even when you pull alongside to try and help someone they ignore you or panic.

last summer I and a friend were returning from a bicycle race (bikes mounted on the back of my car) and came up behind a subaru with a hitch mounted bike rack. On the rack were a couple bicycles worth at least 5 grand a piece. One of the bikes had come loose and was flopping around in the carrier and could easily come off the rack and get destroyed. Even just loose in the carrier could cause cosmetic damage or eat into the carbon fiber.

We pulled up beside them and my friend leaned out the window frantically pointing at the back of their car. The people in the subaru absolutely would not turn and look at us. The panic and fear on their faces was so plain. We tried for about 1 minute to get their attention and finally just continued on our way. At the time we were "serves them right if their bike falls off". Then we decided they would probably just claim it on their homeowners insurance
and not give it a second thought.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

yz400e wrote:yeah, it is unfortunate the world is the way it is. even when you pull alongside to try and help someone they ignore you or panic.

last summer I and a friend were returning from a bicycle race (bikes mounted on the back of my car) and came up behind a subaru with a hitch mounted bike rack. On the rack were a couple bicycles worth at least 5 grand a piece. One of the bikes had come loose and was flopping around in the carrier and could easily come off the rack and get destroyed. Even just loose in the carrier could cause cosmetic damage or eat into the carbon fiber.

We pulled up beside them and my friend leaned out the window frantically pointing at the back of their car. The people in the subaru absolutely would not turn and look at us. The panic and fear on their faces was so plain. We tried for about 1 minute to get their attention and finally just continued on our way. At the time we were "serves them right if their bike falls off". Then we decided they would probably just claim it on their homeowners insurance
and not give it a second thought.
Can't help some folks...

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

With him collecting Jeeps and Broncos that means he had guns. I collect Jeeps and Broncos and Mopars that’s how I know. Lol

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I've often followed vehicles to talk to owners. That's how I got the last J10 Golden Eagle I just restored and sold. Followed the guy all the way home haha! But I didn't do it recklessly. He didn't even know I was behind him.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it