Bed seam rust - why it happens

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
bbelongia

Bed seam rust - why it happens

Post by bbelongia »

I was just doing some patching in the garage on one of my J20's and thought maybe someone would be interested in seeing why bed seam rust occurs. If there is interest, I can explain how I repaired it. Obviously there are many ways to do fix this based on skill level and the desired quality of the restore. I have seen a few posts asking what is the best way to do this, and without question it's to pay someone else! But if you are stubborn and cheap like me... maybe this will get you started.

Anyway, to understand why this happens, you just have to look at the cross section of panels in the bed side. Attached is a not-to-scale hand drawing of how the sheet metal is configured. Due to the geometry of the metal, there is an area that naturally collects dirt, water, and general debris, and has no good way to dry out or clean out. I have heard the replacement bed side panels do not have the seam between the upper and lower bed side, this seems like it would help with getting rid of the trapped area, but I have not worked with them as of yet.

Fortunately, this one is an '86 so the steel is still pretty sound structurally. It looks like a few things happened, first is the gas filler neck guard inside the bed got bent up bad and allowed more debris than usual to get in between the panels. Second, it looks like the seam sealer between the bed floor and inner bed wall was compromised, allowing water to get under the seam and into the problem area.

Next is to cut until we find some solid metal. Mind the inner structure because its easy to cut into something behind the outer panel that you shouldn't. I had to cut surprisingly more than I thought to get to good metal. As you can see from the pictures, I also cut a portion of the inner bed wall out to replace it. I used an old wood chisel for breaking the spot welds, and a cut off wheel for the rest.

Image Image

Next step is to replace the steel. If there is interest I would be glad to share more pictures. The patches were simple to make, and I used panel bond on the overlap seams and welded the rest.

Ready for the patches with panel bond spread over every surface that I could to protect it...

Fitting the new patch...

tgreese

Re: Bed seam rust - why it happens

Post by tgreese »

Excellent post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

This may be the best first post I have ever seen!

Welcome to the site!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

Wagons have a similar thing in the rear quarters behind the tires. Two pieces of sheet metal only 1/4 inch apart and at the bottom of the panel where all the debris collect. No way to get in there and clean it out so it just rots through.

Design flaws. Jeep built a great chassis but they didn't build the bodies to last. Didn't even prime them in many areas.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.