1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Pablo

Re: 1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by Pablo »

44bz wrote:Those old news paper articles are really cool! I was secretly hoping for a 327;) still, nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you really want a 327, I have a block that needs to be rebuilt. Valve burned in the late 80's and the original owner started a rebuild. Some kids stole the carb and the riser one night and then he gave up and parked it until I bought it. Right now it is a parts Jeep for my 65 4bt project. I have the 327 which you can have for shipping cost. If you want the Th400 and the Dana 20, some cash would come in handy. I will have to pull them all as they are still in the vehicle, and that will take some time as it is currently 100+ out.

I also have a factory 65 manual with a Dana20 and Borg Warner overdrive that I need to find a home for. The overdrive will need to be rebuilt as the 6 was pulled and the 327 small block chevy they put in was too much for it. The manual probably needs to be rebuilt too.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

While 62thriftside was putting heater hoses, installing a radiator overflow tank, and filling the radiator up on his ride, I replaced the squealing water pump on the 65, gave it an oil change and fix a massive oil leak- an improper install of the oil pressure line, so, that's been corrected.

Next up is to try and get the instrument cluster gas gauge to work, the after market one is waaaaaay off.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

I fixed the dash lighting, rewired the aux. gauges to come on with the lights instead of with high beams only. Then I tackled the turn signals- ran a new fuse and power, then replaced the flasher.
Not sure how it ended up cracked, but I only noticed it when it popped once after power was applied.

Edit:

I ran a "new" wiring harness for the heater- one I cut out of the 64 j truck at the junk yard, and replaced the melted fan with one from the parts waggie. I have heat and a blower now, but what do you know? I'll need a new vacuum line to run from the dash switch to the engine.
ImageImage They're terrible pics, I know, but the hood is blocking the overhead lights. I also pulled a few pounds of leaves and spiders from inside the heater fan housing. It hadn't been used in quite some time.
Image of course I knocked the box of leaves all over the ground. Oh well, if that's the worst that happens, then it's a good day.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

Lol, three different type of spark plugs. She likes the new, all the same type installed today.

Edit:

I got a wild hair and decided to get the column shift indicator light and heater switch light replaced. Everything went as planned, but I couldn't get power to the indicator light.
So I took the light off and somehow the wire had been severed somewhere in the column itself. So I gently tugged the white wire with the red stripe out of the harness/column at the base where the whole steering column harness comes out and it slid out fairly easily.
I cleaned it up and slid it back up into the column at the base, but by passed the factory wire loom at the base of the column.
Third time was the charm. I pulled it through, soldered the two pieces together, sealed it with shrink wrap and reconnected everything and the light indicator light works as it should.

Just thought I'd pass that along for those that might end up needing to get their shift indicator light to come on.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

So I trust her enough to take it to work and drop my daughter off at Daycare. But the radiator cap fails. Easy fix.

In the quest for making it better, I find a dry rotted vacuum line, easy. Then I hook up the electric choke, also pretty easy. She sure liked that.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Hey 66, where did you get your wheels from? As soon as I get my Jeep project done, I was gonna get started on my 68 Chevy C10 project. I need a set of wheels with that center section so I can run my hubcaps. I've been looking for a set that are 6 inches wide for the front and 14 for the rear.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

racerx12003r1, I ordered them from BJ's off road- the 6 lug versions since the PPO swapped in mid 70's wide track 6 lug axles. They shipped from Stockton Wheel in California. Here's the link to BJ's website:
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/BJs-Off-Road- ... c_195.html
They offer the 15x8 in the 5 lug and 6 lug version.

Yesterday I pulled a radiator for the 65, the one on the waggie to begin with had broken mounting tabs.
While I was on the hunt for a replacement, I used a radiator from the 67- but it was an inline 6 radiator, so it was a short term solution. And probably a strong reason why the radiator cap blew. Besides, it ran super hot (240 degrees).
I pressure washed the "new" radiator inside and out, then ran a 50/50 combo of vinegar and water through it. Let it set in there for a spell, then rinsed it throughly last night, and then again this AM. I dug out a fan shroud from a Buick 350 I had squirreled away and did the whole install with 62Thriftside's help.

When the radiator was draining I cleaned the contacts and used some dialectic grease, cleaned the grounding pints to get the front parking lights to work. Now it's off to get some yard work done.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Thank you for the info. All the other places I have looked have the Chevy 6 lug rally setup. No provision to hold a hubcap like that. I think the company name was Vintique
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

racerx12003r1 wrote:Thank you for the info. All the other places I have looked have the Chevy 6 lug rally setup. No provision to hold a hubcap like that. I think the company name was Vintique
No problem. I hope it works out.

I like the looks of the rims I bought, and very pleased with the quality.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I went to drive her the other AM and found her dead. I checked the battery with the meter and it was in the single digits. Parasitic draw! After running the basic checks, I eliminated the alternator, electric choke and the starter.

Turns out to be the fender mounted starter solenoid.

Cheapo 13.00 unit on the way home and so far, so good.

I was able to get some badging put on her, too.

We'll see what happens a next. When there's one electrical problem fixed, a few more show up to mourn the loss. Lol.

FrankenWag

Post by FrankenWag »

Love the wag, and the progress- great thread!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

FrankenWag wrote:Love the wag, and the progress- great thread!

Thanks!

I hauled some 2x4s with it this weekend and bent the roof rack. I'll be looking for away to reinforce the stock rack to hold more. It was a bummer for sure.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

I decided to put carpet in her and pony up for a center console. I was able to piece together a 2001 Caddy console- like what's in the 66, for a deal.

So the console isn't bolted down, but I had to get carpet in her. So I snagged a huge remnant from a buddy- house carpet, lol. If it's free, it's for me!

I also swapped out the 4wd shifter to one that doesn't require leaning way over to shift. I found out she's been running in 4 high all this time! ROFLMAO. I guess I should've tripled checked when I first got her. It was hard to put into 4wd back then.

I hooked up the light in the clock, but it's barely noticeable at night, so I might have to swap in an LED light just to be able to see the face at night and keep the gauges all relatively close to similar light output. I tackled the plunger switches for the dome light and managed to get one to work, too. All while 62 was working on his truck.

Edit:

All four doors turn on the dome light when they're open. 3 bad plunger switches, only one could be salvaged. The rest came from the junk yard and the 68 doner.

Also I did some slight repairs on a spare steering wheel, painted it parchment white- along with the metal insert for the instrument cluster. I hope it'll dry soon enough to to install today.

glake

Post by glake »

I'd like to see that console.
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

glake wrote:I'd like to see that console.
Here you go; arm rest folded down:

Cup holder folded out:

Arm rest down, bay one open:

Arm rest up, bay two opened up:

Misc. shot from the passenger's side:

I shaved 3.25" off of it so it wouldn't stick too far into the rear cargo area.

I plan on putting an ashtray from the bench seat in the spot once it's reupholstered, or fabric painted to match the rest of the rig, just to tie it in to the era.

I did take it on an estate sale run today and found a few metal working tools, and cleverly done hooks:

With all the weight in the back, it rode so much softer. Whatever lift is on it must be rated for a 3/4 truck.

glake

Post by glake »

Awesome!
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

glake wrote:Awesome!
Thanks!

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

Wow, 60 mph gusts turned the drive home into an obstacle course. 4 downed trees and counting. Yikes.
Home safe.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

No loss of property at our place. The neighbor's giant trees stayed upright.

But sprayed branches EVERYWHERE. I left the Wrangler out and even the spare tire cover blew off! Crazy.

Neighbors close by weren't so lucky:

There were 4 large trees within 7 houses that lost the fight against the massive wind. Two rooflines were tree-damaged and now are wearing tarps. There are roofing shingles everywhere, debris everywhere, and fences down all throughout the neighborhood. Tens of thousands are still without power. We haven't had power since about 6:30 last night.

Whew.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

My work is still closed. My kid's schools are closed- the power is still out there. Our power is back on, and has been for a few days.

Duracell showed up to hand out batteries.

I'd never seen that before, but then we usually don't get many natural disasters in this region.