Landcruiser to J20 - wise or not?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
wedgetail

Re: Landcruiser to J20 - wise or not?

Post by wedgetail »

mud89 wrote: 258 specs by comparison : 83.5 kw (around 112hp SAE) @3000, 271 NM @ 1600 (good low end torque)

I got a spec sheet for the australian J20 if you are interested by a scan
Thanks, a fairly gutsy motor then... And yep would love a scan if you've got time!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have had several 196/232/258 powered Ramblers and Jeeps. Tough motor. I did kill my last 258 but I also abused it by towing cross country on 2.73 gears w/33s and plenty of time in Lo range at high rpm.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

ROK360

Post by ROK360 »

Wedgetail, g'day to you I find it very interesting to hear another Aussie interested in a a Full size, especially a Landcruiser owner.

I have had my Waggie now for 6 years and have been building it up slowly. Biggest issue is parts for these old jeeps in Oz. Yep you can get them here but it is cheaper to ship things from the States (the dollar certainly helps ATM). My 84 wagon has 425000 k's on it, I swapped out the engine last year as the 360 was getting a little tired, still ran well tho. I can't say I have had too many issues with wiring, and I have full electric windows and Luxo mods in the wagon other then the sunroof which is now a moon roof (the seal was rotten) everything works fine. My Waggie now rides on 35's, is locked and is a very capable 4wd, it also does a fair bit of work as the daily driver.

Happy to chat if you are interested I have a bit of an insight of owning a FSJ from an OZ perspective.

Cheers Peter
    ROK360
    84 FSJ LTD (Aussie built in the Brisbane Jeep Factory)
    'The LPG (propane) powered WAGGIE'
    Tow truck, Daily Driver, and adventure non-urban vehicle

jaber
    Vendor

Post by jaber »

Peter, glad you stopped in. Image
    Jeff

'46 cj3a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service truck
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

lindel

Post by lindel »

As a side note, the FSJ community here in the states is usually more than willing to help with parts for our down under family. If need arises, just ask.

I know there used to be a Australian/New Zealand FSJ community and message board, but I don't know if it's still operating.
    Lindel

ROK360

Post by ROK360 »

jaber wrote:Peter, glad you stopped in. Image
    Thanks mate- been a member for a while but just continued over on IFSJA. This FSJ community is awesome, the information available on here is endless.

Cheers Peter
      ROK360
      84 FSJ LTD (Aussie built in the Brisbane Jeep Factory)
      'The LPG (propane) powered WAGGIE'
      Tow truck, Daily Driver, and adventure non-urban vehicle

Topic author
      wedgetail

Post by wedgetail »

ROK360 wrote:Wedgetail, g'day to you I find it very interesting to hear another Aussie interested in a a Full size, especially a Landcruiser owner.

I have had my Waggie now for 6 years and have been building it up slowly. Biggest issue is parts for these old jeeps in Oz. Yep you can get them here but it is cheaper to ship things from the States (the dollar certainly helps ATM). My 84 wagon has 425000 k's on it, I swapped out the engine last year as the 360 was getting a little tired, still ran well tho. I can't say I have had too many issues with wiring, and I have full electric windows and Luxo mods in the wagon other then the sunroof which is now a moon roof (the seal was rotten) everything works fine. My Waggie now rides on 35's, is locked and is a very capable 4wd, it also does a fair bit of work as the daily driver.

Happy to chat if you are interested I have a bit of an insight of owning a FSJ from an OZ perspective.

Cheers Peter
      Thanks for the insight Peter. Well I guess I've heard the parts issue enough times now to really take it seriously, but I'm still not sure I'll let it stop me. I'm impressed your wagon has 425k on it, that's getting properly into 'just landcruiser terrirtor' IMO... And the 258s are meant to last longer than the 360s even? I'd love to chat - might see what my work mate comes back with this week regarding the sale of this J20 then I'll know whether I actually have a shot at becoming an aussie FSJ owner!

mud89

Post by mud89 »

That's what i got if it may help

J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
      parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
      wedgetail

Post by wedgetail »

awesome thanks a lot mud that answers quite a few questions. I was hoping they came out with 7.50x16 and they do! Have a couple of new tyres here...

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The 258 can be perked up with EFI from a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (or replaced with 4.0, or parts combined to make a 4.5/4.6 stroker) Or you can go LPG on the stroker since it'll be over 9.5:1 compression. That's what my '84 J10 has awaiting time to finish assembling this winter. I already cleaned out 1/2 the shed to make space to do it.

The Nissan 3.3L turbo, AK SD33T came stock as an option in J10s (not just CJ10s) in S America and OZ. IH Scouts got the same drivetrain here. Non-turbo till the last year of production. Could barely get out of their own way like that.
      Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
      wedgetail

Post by wedgetail »

carnuck wrote:The 258 can be perked up with EFI from a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (or replaced with 4.0, or parts combined to make a 4.5/4.6 stroker) Or you can go LPG on the stroker since it'll be over 9.5:1 compression. That's what my '84 J10 has awaiting time to finish assembling this winter. I already cleaned out 1/2 the shed to make space to do it.

The Nissan 3.3L turbo, AK SD33T came stock as an option in J10s (not just CJ10s) in S America and OZ. IH Scouts got the same drivetrain here. Non-turbo till the last year of production. Could barely get out of their own way like that.
      yeah the thought of an NA diesel 3.3 in a J10 sized vehicle makes me depressed, the 4.2L NA I6 in new landcruisers is slow enough! A stroked 4.6L EFI sounds pretty attractive, but I imagine the cost of doing that in this country is up there with dropping a 4.2L turbo diesel toyota motor in...

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If you have a 4.2L and can access a 4.0L (or whole XJ for parts) then you'll just need 4.0L pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets and machine work. I balanced mine too for a few $$ more.
      Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
      wedgetail

Post by wedgetail »

OK nothing's happening fast round here... My mate took some photos of the J20 when he went up to his folk's place. It looks pretty nice, only negative so far is an aluminium tray. Seems to have only done 111804 km, unless it's gone round the clock which by its condition I'd say it hasn't. So it must've spent a long time sitting still. Is anyone able to put a build year on it from the photos? Unfortunately he said they still haven't made a decision about it so I'm still kind of hanging :(

lindel

Post by lindel »

Not having a brow sets it at post 1980, having round gauges in the dash puts it at pre 1986. It's an 80 to 85 model. Get the VIN off of it, and we should be able to pin the year model down.
      Lindel

jaber
      Vendor

Post by jaber »

I agree, it also appears to have a 208 t-case. ;)

Good luck on it.
      Jeff

'46 cj3a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service truck
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
      Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

80's had a brow, so 81-85.

Looks to be in decent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 JKU Rubicon
      Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

mud89

Post by mud89 »

lindel wrote:Not having a brow sets it at post 1980, having round gauges in the dash puts it at pre 1986. It's an 80 to 85 model. Get the VIN off of it, and we should be able to pin the year model down.
      +1, a pic of the VIN plates would be perfect
      J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
      parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
      wedgetail

Post by wedgetail »

Thanks guys, no reason I need to know the exact date, it's just for my interest. So what did the dash look like after 1986? No chance of a VIN shot unfortunately - mate is back here and the J20 is a good 1500km away... Yeah it does look to be in decent shape, it was his grandfathers pride and joy and has been kept in a shed in a very dry area all its life. I really hope this deal goes through.

So can you fit a brow or is it part of the roof?

lindel

Post by lindel »

I'll snag a pic of the wife's GW for you tomorrow, the dash/instrument panel is totally different (ignore that fact that stuff is on the wrong side... ;) )

The brow every one mentions is an integral part of the roof. Brandon's right, I missed it by a year.

Any 80 or older J-truck will have it, it's easy to spot. It acts a little like a sun visor, and does give a little more head room.
      Lindel