MacGyver welding

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
AMCdealer

MacGyver welding

Post by AMCdealer »

I have never welded before but have done a lot of watching and reading. One of the AIR injection tube bolts on the '88 Wag of dad's I have snapped off during removal, despite copious amounts of soaking with PB Blaster. The other bolts on the driver side came out OK. The one that snapped is the one with the stud added on the end for the diverter valve bracket. The AIR system won't be going back on this Jeep.

My plan is to just grind it down smooth with my grinder and then weld the little hole shut and call it good. I'd like to take care of it myself and planned on using two car batteries in series and some jumper cables and a little piece of coat hanger wire (after sanding the coating off).

For this little job do you guys think this would be OK? I don't need perfect just no exhaust leak.
AKA "SVO42" at IFSJA

fulsizjeep

Re: MacGyver welding

Post by fulsizjeep »

I think the idea is sound. Since it is new territory, I recommend a spotter. :lol:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Wear very thick gloves. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

You are wanting to use two battery and a coat hanger w/out flux and you have not welded before???
It's going to be a tough job. I have used the coat hange with a ox/ac torch to weld, but not an arch
welder with a coat hanger. Good luck.

stumblinman

Post by stumblinman »

Are you referring to the episode where he took a magnesium tubed bicycle and created a thermite torch :D I can't remember what he was doing but it must've been awsome.....

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

If it still has something to grab onto I used the Bolt extractor on the right. That was the best option. If I had nothing to grab onto I used the EZ out in the left.
Drink more Water

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

fulsizjeep wrote:I think the idea is sound. Since it is new territory, I recommend a spotter. :lol:
Disclaimer: I had 2 Blue Moons before i wrote this. :roll:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

stumblinman

Post by stumblinman »

LOL can't go wrong with a spotter.. well can't ya.... I propose just getting some bolts the same size instead. Just use them to plug the holes. They exist, I have some but may need a washer. It's not an uncommon thread size.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Thread the tiny hole and put a screw in with some high heat JB weld. Or get some tiny 6010 welding rods. Keep them in a dry plastic pop bottle afterwards so they don't absorb moisture from the air.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Are you talking about welding the hole on the manifold itself? Cast iron is tricky, gotta get it HOT!

JB Weld probably won't work(been there done that) instead you want to use QuikSteel epoxy putty. Similar to JB Weld but so much better.

If you go for the MacGyver weld you're gonna need to rock the hair, afterall he was a Jeep guy. :mrgreen:

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

whsii

Post by whsii »

stumblinman wrote:LOL can't go wrong with a spotter.. well can't ya.... I propose just getting some bolts the same size instead. Just use them to plug the holes. They exist, I have some but may need a washer. It's not an uncommon thread size.
The manifold air induction holes on my I6 were pipe thread. I cannot remember if it took 1/4" or 1/8" pipe plugs. A good hardware store should have them, or even a Lowes.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Are you talking about welding the hole on the manifold itself? Cast iron is tricky, gotta get it HOT!

JB Weld probably won't work(been there done that) instead you want to use QuikSteel epoxy putty. Similar to JB Weld but so much better.

If you go for the MacGyver weld you're gonna need to rock the hair, afterall he was a Jeep guy. :mrgreen:

He drives a grand wag (brand new!) in one episode as well. Also the brand new XJ and later the YJ. As well as CJ's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Stuka wrote: He drives a grand wag (brand new!) in one episode as well. Also the brand new XJ and later the YJ. As well as CJ's.
I'll keep an eye out for the G-dubb. I think I remember an episode with an XJ, definitely remember the CJ's. With all these Jeeps he's messed with no wonder he's so good at fixing stuff. :D
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

letank

Post by letank »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote: JB Weld probably won't work(been there done that) instead you want to use QuikSteel epoxy putty. Similar to JB Weld but so much better.
[/img]
2x, on the 85 I tried the jb weld, hot jb weld stinks too.
Replaced the AIR tube assembly with a good spare handed down from a smog free FSJ.... the exhaust manifold was cracked as well.
As for PB blaster even after weeks of spraying it did not yield good results. I had better luck with knocker loose spray, or even better freeze off -the instruction recommend 30" spraying time-, a little heat with a propane torch, and a couple hits with an impact screwdriver, and the longest breaker bar you can fit. Nothing broke on either sides. I even resorted to a trip to the local repair shop..... but at $900 I had to do it myself.

Some years ago, on another site.... it was recommended to take a drive on the freeway at WOT to get the headers red hot to ease the removal of those bolts.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
AMCdealer

Post by AMCdealer »

Awesomeness with more MacGyver references!

I plan on just welding the little ~ 1/8" hole in the bolt closed and leaving the bolt in there. Then grind flat and smooth. It'll give me a chance to experiment. If I want to get the bolt out later I could always try the easy-out. Trying to do things on the CHEAP here!
AKA "SVO42" at IFSJA