Fog Light Switch and Wiring

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
McCavity

Fog Light Switch and Wiring

Post by McCavity »

Hi, If you saw my posting a few days ago you know I am rewiring my GW. It has been a very enjoyable experience :oops:

I have everything figured out with the exception of fog lights. Now, I don't currently have fog lights, but the rig is wired for them (in the engine compartment at least) and I am trying to figure out how the wiring should be under the dash.

I am essentially disregarding the wiring diagram for an '85 since I now have an '83 harness installed, and near as I can tell the fog light switch is hard wired into the harness (meaning it isn't a separate pigtail that uses a connector). I am looking for two things. First, a description of the fog light switch (what it looks like, where it would be mounted, etc.) and second, any information on its physical wiring. Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

I did a lot of online searching but came up empty. I also searched both this and the other site and have not come up with specific enough information, so here I am, tossing this out.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

1985 GW, 360 CID (daily driver)
1983 Wagoneer Ltd, 360 CID (donor car)
1986 GW, 360 CID (first one, sold when I moved to Africa)

tgreese

Re: Fog Light Switch and Wiring

Post by tgreese »

The '85 wiring diagram shows the circuit quite well. http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/84_85/84_85_F ... Page12.jpg The fog light switch takes power from the low beam side of the dimmer switch. This goes to an illuminated switch, which powers the coil of a relay. The relay contacts, connected to a battery power lug, power the fog lights. Does that help?

Pretty typical circuit ... there are a lot of circuit diagrams and discussion about wiring fog lights on the net.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
McCavity

Post by McCavity »

tgreese wrote:The '85 wiring diagram shows the circuit quite well. http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/84_85/84_85_F ... Page12.jpg The fog light switch takes power from the low beam side of the dimmer switch. This goes to an illuminated switch, which powers the coil of a relay. The relay contacts, connected to a battery power lug, power the fog lights. Does that help?

Pretty typical circuit ... there are a lot of circuit diagrams and discussion about wiring fog lights on the net.
Tim,

As I pointed out, I don't have an '85 circuit any longer, at least not the part under the dash. Further, even if I did, I cannot read the particular page you reference. I don't have particularly bad eyesight and I have a MBP with retina display, but simply cannot decipher the wire colors that relate to that particular circuit. As for it being a typical circuit, I am not arguing that it is anything else, but to say there are plenty of examples online for the particular circuit I am looking for... well I will say you are wrong.

What I am NOT looking for is for someone who will stop poking me in the eye, telling me what I should or should not be able to see or find. I can read wiring schematics, I know how to rebuild an engine. What I do NOT know is the physical layout of the fog light wiring assembly, location of the switch, relay, etc. You see, Tim, while wiring schematics may (MAY) be detailed enough for one to figure out where to find particular elements of a harness, AMC didn't feel it necessary to do this. According to Serehill the fog light relay is mounted on the fender. I believe him, but I have no particular frame of reference where specifically it might have been. I do know I don't have a relay mounted on my fender right now, but if I knew where it should have been, I may be able to work through more of my fog light harness. I also do not know what the fog light switch looked like and no, Tim, there is no picture of it in my TSM and I have not found one anywhere online. Of course, not knowing where it should be located, it is possible it is not readily apparent in a picture.

So I ask you Tim to please stop talking at me and either be helpful or quiet. If that sounds harsh, so be it.
Mike

Topic author
McCavity

Post by McCavity »

And yes, I know this wasn't the most appropriate forum to post this in. I did it late at night and just selected the wrong one. I could have moved it but well most people look through the forums so here it still resides.
Mike

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

McCavity wrote:
tgreese wrote:The '85 wiring diagram shows the circuit quite well. http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/84_85/84_85_F ... Page12.jpg The fog light switch takes power from the low beam side of the dimmer switch. This goes to an illuminated switch, which powers the coil of a relay. The relay contacts, connected to a battery power lug, power the fog lights. Does that help?

Tim,

As I pointed out, I don't have an '85 circuit any longer, at least not the part under the dash. Further, even if I did, I cannot read the particular page you reference. I don't have particularly bad eyesight and I have a MBP with retina display, but simply cannot decipher the wire colors that relate to that particular circuit. As for it being a typical circuit, I am not arguing that it is anything else, but to say there are plenty of examples online for the particular circuit I am looking for... well I will say you are wrong.

What I am NOT looking for is for someone who will stop poking me in the eye, telling me what I should or should not be able to see or find. I can read wiring schematics, I know how to rebuild an engine. What I do NOT know is the physical layout of the fog light wiring assembly, location of the switch, relay, etc. You see, Tim, while wiring schematics may (MAY) be detailed enough for one to figure out where to find particular elements of a harness, AMC didn't feel it necessary to do this. According to Serehill the fog light relay is mounted on the fender. I believe him, but I have no particular frame of reference where specifically it might have been. I do know I don't have a relay mounted on my fender right now, but if I knew where it should have been, I may be able to work through more of my fog light harness. I also do not know what the fog light switch looked like and no, Tim, there is no picture of it in my TSM and I have not found one anywhere online. Of course, not knowing where it should be located, it is possible it is not readily apparent in a picture.

So I ask you Tim to please stop talking at me and either be helpful or quiet. If that sounds harsh, so be it.
Sorry you took offense, though none was intended. At this point, I think your expectations far exceed my ability to decipher them, so I will stop.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

settle down folks :D

I think the fog light wires are on the fender and go into the cab via the fuse block firewall connector.

Are you able to use a mult-meter to check continuity? What about following the wires to see where they go?

That's what I would do.

Our jeeps have fairly simple wiring harnesses and I feel that if you take your time and trace the wires, you will be happy with the results.

Topic author
McCavity

Post by McCavity »

Blake wrote:settle down folks :D

I think the fog light wires are on the fender and go into the cab via the fuse block firewall connector.

Are you able to use a mult-meter to check continuity? What about following the wires to see where they go?

That's what I would do.

Our jeeps have fairly simple wiring harnesses and I feel that if you take your time and trace the wires, you will be happy with the results.
Blake, my problem is that I don't know what the wiring looks like inside the cabin. I know that sounds strange but if I knew how it tied into headlight switch I would be in much better shape. When I still had my '85 harness there was no open connector or mysteriously cut wires (not completely accurate but just nothing that matched the wiring circuit or anywhere near the light switch); and when I switched to the '83 harness I ended up with a strange pigtail-like wire harness. It is about 14" long and has a 4-prong connector on one end that plugs into the main harness, very near the headlight switch. The other end of this short harness split into a 'y'. One side leads to a relay while the other leads to a female four-prong connector. https://www.flickr.com/photos/45643586@N08/

Serehill tells me this is not for fog lights so while part of me wonders what it is, most of me just wants to know how I would turn on my fog lights (if they were mounted and wired correctly). In other words, where would a factory switch be mounted?
Mike

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

the fog light switches were located under the steering column on my '88.

so if you have no existing wires, why not simply install new wiring with new relays?

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

What he had was a cheaply/Badly built headlight relay someone ENGINEERED in series with the harness to operate the lights.
The Solution to the problem is siting in a box right in front of me being shipped out tomorrow. Relays had nothing to do with fog lights.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
McCavity

Post by McCavity »

serehill wrote:What he had was a cheaply/Badly built headlight relay someone ENGINEERED in series with the harness to operate the lights.
The Solution to the problem is siting in a box right in front of me being shipped out tomorrow. Relays had nothing to do with fog lights.
Just got your email and I am more excited than I was when Woolworth open in town in 1968!
Mike

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

It has been officially shipped
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?