Bad Ignition Lock Cylinder?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dturner0528

Bad Ignition Lock Cylinder?

Post by dturner0528 »

So I’m having some issues with the ignition lock cylinder in my ’82 wag.
1. You can start it without the key being in
2. You can remove the key when the jeep is running
3. When it’s off, the cylinder ‘lock’ notch does not line up with the ‘lock’ notch on the column
4. I’m having other electrical issues, such as lack of headlights and intermittent side markers and oil gauge. (not sure if related)
IMG_20140409_144931_524.jpg
IMG_20140409_144848_197.jpg

I figured that it was a bad cylinder, so I went to AutoZone and got a replacement.

Here’s the replacement
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ing=search

The exact same thing is happening.

I HOPE that it is just the cylinder again; that even though it ‘works’, it still is not the OEM, so therefore does not work well. I’m guessing that the 1st cylinder is aftermarket as well, and that’s why the same thing is happening.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? Do the FSJs need an odd cylinder?

TeamGrandWagoneer.com has an OEM for $90
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/igniti ... 1974-1991/

I would assume that this would work just fine, but I’d really rather not spend that much when local parts shops carry some for $20

TeamGrandWagoneer.com ALSO has one for $20, but I don’t want to buy THAT (plus shipping and waiting) unless I KNOW it will work.
http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/igniti ... 1974-1991/

Has anyone ever bought either and had them work properly? Or better yet, has anyone ever bought one ANYWHERE and had it work properly? If so, what is the part number and where?

Sorry for the verbal vomiting, but I’m getting rather irritated. Any help would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Locked and Loaded

Re: Bad Ignition Lock Cylinder?

Post by Locked and Loaded »

I wish the only problem I have with my J10. Was the ignition switch didn't line up with the column. :D
Drink more Water

Topic author
dturner0528

Post by dturner0528 »

Locked and Loaded wrote:I wish the only problem I have with my J10. Was the ignition switch didn't line up with the column. :D
:D Haha that is by far not the only problem I am having. Just one of MANY electrical issues.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

dturner0528 wrote:
Locked and Loaded wrote:I wish the only problem I have with my J10. Was the ignition switch didn't line up with the column. :D
:D Haha that is by far not the only problem I am having. Just one of MANY electrical issues.

Sorry you're having such a pain getting this fixed, I wish I had a clear answer for ya, but have you considered that your Wag might not have the original steering column in it? Or perhaps Jeep used a different lock cylinder for tilt columns than for non-tilts. I would call NAPA and ask them how many different ign. lock part numbers were used on that year Wag, if it's more than one then that might just be your answer. There's also the possibility that Jeep used a column from the previous year and switched to a different column or cylinder mid-year.

Good luck, but keep us informed on what you find out, this is a commonly worn out part and I'm sure you aren't the first person to have trouble with it. I've been lucky so far...so far.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
dturner0528

Post by dturner0528 »

well after more digging, it looks like something way deep down in the column is jammed. (the PO has been in here before and may have dropped a screw or something) When turned as far 'off' as it will go, the little gear on the inside of the column that pushes the steering wheel lock rod forward doesn't spin far enough to actually push it effectively. So pretty much, I have to disassemble the entire column to see what fell in.

That's a task for another day, preferably after I get the thing street legal. (i keep it hidden in the garage for now)