H4 headlight installation problem

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
SidSincere

H4 headlight installation problem

Post by SidSincere »

1983 Cherokee, AMC258

I installed H4 headlights (original factory harness) tonight and when I tested them, both brights and dims worked... on the first test only. When I went back out to show them off to my wife the headlights did not work, but the running lights did. I took the headlights back off and found there is no voltage getting to them now. Although it was dark and I just had a cheap flashlight, I could not find a fuse in the fuseblock marked as headlights. Is there a fuse for the headlights somewhere else? What else may have failed?

letank

Re: H4 headlight installation problem

Post by letank »

No fuses. The headlight switch has a thermal "fuse"... which after years does not reset...
If you still have an ammeter time to do the ammeter bypass.

Other will chime in.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Probably smoked the high beam switch or headlight switch. If you want brighter lights, the aftermarket wiring kit is even better.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

X3, check the dimmer switch on the floor, then the dash switch. It could also be the ground on the facia. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

MY money is on the dimmer switch or the headlight switch itself.

X2 on doing a relay modification.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

An aux relay is the way to go with these. The relay will protect the switches from excess load, and make your lights brighter.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Yeah the lights have individual grounds. that's not it. As the guys say either the dimmer or the headlight switch. They were the straw that broke the camels back. Turn the switch on & off a couple of time then hit the dimmer a couple of times. if nothing then you mave have a fise problem but most likely the switches.

Other thought you pinched the wires when putting the lights in. The thermal overload is a metal thingy plugged into the fuse box. When they go bad sometimes they are replaced by fuses since they fit right in. If you blew a fuse you might want to check everything before you just replace the fuse.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I did this upgrade and they were heating up too much for me, so I got the harness upgrade. I also put in Sylvania upgraded bulbs and it is all good. I hope you find your issue soon.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
SidSincere

Post by SidSincere »

I ordered a new H4 wiring harness, and hopefully will install on Saturday. I have a working spare dimmer switch from a previous project which I'll swap in. I still can't find the fuse. I got a pic of most of the fuse block and honestly don't believe it is in the block. I found all sorts of different small plastic electrical dookickeys dangling in that area as well, but none of them look like a fuse to me.

EDIT: I now have power back to the headlights. it must have been a thermal overload... or some other reset. I won't do that again! Thanks, y'all!

letank

Post by letank »

SidSincere wrote:I ordered a new H4 wiring harness, and hopefully will install on Saturday. I have a working spare dimmer switch from a previous project which I'll swap in. I still can't find the fuse. I got a pic of most of the fuse block and honestly don't believe it is in the block. I found all sorts of different small plastic electrical dookickeys dangling in that area as well, but none of them look like a fuse to me.

EDIT: I now have power back to the headlights. it must have been a thermal overload... or some other reset. I won't do that again! Thanks, y'all!
Good... there is no visible fuse it is built in the dash control switch off/park/headlight courtesy light :
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)