81 J10 Complete Resto

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Re: 81 J10 Complete Resto

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Thanks guys, I'm real happy with them. Now for some questions.

Here are some pictures of my bed once I had taken off the old rusted bed sides and the mangled tail light housings.

First the inside nearly perfect and dent free. :)

Next the drivers side. The back end of the fender is pretty rough. I'm thinking that I may need a donor chunk here.

A close up pf the front

Here is the passenger side. Yes I plan on removing that lower quarter. :oops:

My new bedsides from ZM Jeep will arrive tomorrow and I have one new-used tail light housing now and one in the works. Am I crazy? Please remember I live in the rust belt. I figured this was my best option. Any one done this before :?: Tips :?:
-
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Well, I got some things accomplished. The rust has all been cut out! :) The only exception is the rear wheel well. Ive made the repair pieces for where the bed floor rolls 112* at the for corners. You can see all the spots I cut and the new pieces sitting in place in the following shots:

Passenger Front

Passenger rear

Drivers Front

I'm hoping to get some patches welded in tomorrow. I'm desperately searching for the rear part of the drivers fender to graft on. This one is just to gone to fix. See want ad : http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =25&t=7152

If I don't find it very soon I'll just get the rest patched, scrubbed and in epoxy primer Before winter. Then I can sit it on the frame and get the sides welded on in the garage.
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Nutz, I didn't know you was doing a build. You should have told me. You are doing a great job from what I see. Those pics of your bed with the sides off are helpful to me on my next mod. I'm gonna make a stepside bed, but use the rear fender flairs to form my rear fenders instead of breaking and rolling fenders similar to trailer fenders from Northern tool or the likes. Have you seen the build called Wilderness Gladiator? Thats the type of bed I'm building. Well keep up the great work and if I can figure out how, I'm gonna subscribe to your build. Take her easy. ;)
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Thanks Daniel, I guess I'm about two years in now. But it's almost done. Just need to do the bed. :roll:
I've seen the Wilderness Glad, That is one sweet truck, and the bed is cool too. I figured someone would like seeing those stripped down pictures. I played with it a lot the weed end But still didn't get paint on it yet. Soon.....
Some day you'll see me at ECI !
Lover of all Old Iron

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Looking forward to it my friend. My little boy and me are supposed to be going to Uhwarrie this weekend for the Fall meet. He should be home from school any minute now and we will decide whether to go or not. Supposed to be raining tomorrow.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Hey Guys, I know it's been a long while since I've posted any where on the board, and I feel bad. Bad combination of not doing anything with the truck holidays and sidetracked. Well here is how she sits patiently waiting for her bed. I just started fiddling today with the door windows and am making some head way. I'll post more on that soon. I want the front absolutely done and inspectable for spring so all I need to do is the bed. Any way I'm not dead and neither is the Jeep. Time to go explore this new software. :shock:

Lover of all Old Iron

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Getting all of the door guts squared away starting with the windows. I had to buy a new drivers side vent window. The curious thing is, the drivers side had chrome and the passengers had powder coat. being that my truck is an 81, that means the drivers side had already been changed, or the whole door. You can see the new pivot rivets and the rear seal rivets in their plastic bags next to the rivet setting tool below the windows. I'm going to try and paint the galvanized part of the frame since there are some tiny rust spots. I imagine it will stick well in the rust spots I clean up and the rest won't matter too much if it doesn't stick since it isn't seen. It's just peace of mind.

Lover of all Old Iron

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

I'm offing up a picture in hope to bribe some sage advice form the more experienced. Allow me to show off my freshly cleaned and painted door guts. I was about to star putting it all back in when the light bulb went off. Is it better to put in the vent window and main window first or can i start with the regulator and door latch?

I'm just about finished fabing some new window slides/tracks Thred here-->http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=8046 and I also need to re-rubber the vent windows. I'd like to clear some space and install the stuff that's ready now, but not if it will make getting the glass in a pain.
Lover of all Old Iron

ReconZJ

Post by ReconZJ »

I just wanted to thank you for this thread on your build - I've been reading up on various builds, things to watch for, etc. in preparation for purchasing one myself. Yours is the first one I've found that showed the detailed pics of what the inside of the bed looks like (not to say there aren't others, but yours is the only one I've stumbled across) and where you purchased the replacement bedsides. Thanks again, subscribed and anxiously awaiting your progress!

Gary

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Thanks Gary! That's exactly why I took all those pictures. I looked around too, and found little. Zack at ZM Jeep is awesome and he stocks what he sells, so no back order. I'm really looking forward to pulling out the bed and putting it together this spring, so stay tuned. Just working on the doors while I wait on the weather.

OH Yeah, Welcome to the site!
Lover of all Old Iron

Jeepin Jeff

Post by Jeepin Jeff »

Is it better to put in the vent window and main window first or can i start with the regulator and door latch?
When I repainted mine I had the window glass and vent removed but left the latch and regulator in place. Had no issue at all removing or reinstalling the glass and vent with those components installed. I think I would install the latch and regulator first then the window and regulator but it would probably work the other way too.

Jeff
Jeff

1986 J10 - 2002 5.3/4l60e/Np241c - In Progress!
Tilt, Cruise, A/C

My engine swap started 04/2014: Check it out HERE!

Topic author
Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Thanks Jeff! I think I'll go ahead and bolt in the parts I have cleaned up then.
Lover of all Old Iron