4wd ignorance

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Re: 4wd ignorance

Post by NoLaFSJ »

Mdcptman wrote:But to clarify.....the NP229 transfer case which the OP is running in his stock 88 GW, has a viscous coupler, and can be driven in 4WD on any surface, including dry non slippery surfaces.
Tod, the parts jeep is a 1988 model, the Wag that I actually use and drive is a 1990 model. Not that it makes a difference in your statement, just wanted to clarify!

BUT... I was under the impression that I could only drive on dry surfaces in 4WD Hi (Full Time 4WD) and 4WD Lo (Part Time 4WD) is reserved for low traction situations.

So in other words.....

4WD Hi = on road OR offroad

4WD Lo = offroad ONLY (and preferably low traction offroad situations)
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

An a very nice 90 model it is!

Thats right. In 4 Lo, it is locked. so only on a surface that has some slipperiness to it so it allows tires to move at different rates, like dirt, mud snow etc.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

This weekend I confirmed that the '88 parts Wag and my '90 driver Wag both have the sleeves in the front hubs, no springs.

On another note, I went to go put in the front drive shaft on my '90 (which was removed when I bought it) to test out the 4wd system, and the previous owner decided to route the exhaust EXACTLY where it needs to pass through... :banghead:

So I guess that's one more thing on the to do list...
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

If anyone ever flipped the switch to 4wd with the front shaft removed, your viscous coupler is toast.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Hopefully they disconnected the vacuum to the range motor on the transfer case when they removed the driveshaft. Then you're probably OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

Not too worried about that. I have no reason to believe it was ever flipped to 4wd without the drive shaft installed and even if it was, I have another one from the parts Wag ready to go. That's why I bought it!
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

NoLaFSJ wrote:This weekend I confirmed that the '88 parts Wag and my '90 driver Wag both have the sleeves in the front hubs, no springs.

On another note, I went to go put in the front drive shaft on my '90 (which was removed when I bought it) to test out the 4wd system, and the previous owner decided to route the exhaust EXACTLY where it needs to pass through... :banghead:

So I guess that's one more thing on the to do list...

See if the PO put in the pre '80 driver's side manifold.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

It has aftermarket Hedman Headers.
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

62Thriftside

Post by 62Thriftside »

Can I ask this, why did u bye this vehicle in the first place. BTW, I'm not trying to be mean.

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

62Thriftside wrote:Can I ask this, why did u bye this vehicle in the first place. BTW, I'm not trying to be mean.

Automobiles are a hobby of my dad, brother, and I. This is our first 4wd vehicle and we enjoy learning new things. The Wagoneer is just another cool way for us to enjoy time together.

I wasn't really looking for one, just came across a deal I couldn't pass up. I justified it by convincing myself having a 4wd vehicle around would be useful (I've gotten stuck in my 2wd truck more times than I am proud to admit), since I do a fair amount of hunting and fishing. I had just bought a new daily driver truck and couldn't bite the $4,000 bullet to have 4x4 drivetrain when I would only use it X amount of times a year. I found the Wagoneer in great shape for next to nothing, so I took the chance. We've really been having fun working on it together!
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

will e wrote:Ah, the old locker question and which axle to put it in.

There is an ongoing debate on which axle is 'better' to have a locker.
There is also an agreement that if you can have a locker on both axles that is better than just one locker on either axle.

In the rear axle you can put any kind of locker you want. An 'always' locked rear axle will cause some weirdness around corners and snow but many people have done it and say it is very manageable. I have not. An automatic locker (aussie, detriot, etc) will also work well in a rear axle. They will try to let the rear tires turn corners at different speeds. Some people like the 'always' locked over the 'automatic' locker because it is more predictable. Others like the 'automatic' locker because if the ability to differentiate the rear wheel speeds. There are several types of automatic lockers to choose from, especially for a d44. There is also a 'limited slip' which is almost a locker. They typically use clutch plates to try to keep the rear wheels at the same speed but allow the differentiation around corners. But unlike the other types of lockers they can also let the wheel with the most traction slip. Also, the clutches wear out. And finally the selectable locker allows you to select if it is open and operating like a normal rear axle or 'locked' where the two axles will spin at the same speed. In my opinion the selectable lockers are the best choice but they come at a premium price. They require some kind of operation (cable, electric, air) and these systems add to the complexity and can break. (When they do break it is almost always in the 'open' position). You also have to remember to turn them on/off.

The front axle can also be fitted with any of the types mentioned above. The complicating factor is what kind of transfer case you have and how you use it. As mentioned earlier in this thread different transfer cases can have any combination of 2wd, part time 4wd or full time 4wd. When in 'low' range most transfer cases will be in 'full time 4wd low'. So the first consideration is how do you want your front locker to act when in full time 4wd? A 'always locked' or 'automatic' will tend to pull the wheel straight and lessen your turning radius. I run an Aussie in my d44 up front and can totally tell when I am in full time 4wd. On the trails it's not too bad but it does take a little getting used to. The NEXT consideration is how do you want the your front locker to act when you are in 'part time 4wd'. The difference between how it acts on the trail between full time and part time won't be noticeable. But 'part time' 4wd can be used on the street since the transfer case will allow the front/rear axles to spin at slightly different speeds which is useful around corners. A 'part time' transfer case in 'part time' operation will have some very unusual driving characteristics when turning with an 'always locked' front axle. This will also be true with a 'automatic' locker up front. The 'always locked' is going to try really hard to make the front tires turn at the same speed. There are some folks who say this isn't that bad. An 'automatic' locker will also try to make the front tires turn at the same while turning and may tend to act weird as it tries to allow some slippage. It's basically a fight between the traction your tires have, the difference in speed, the kind of automatic locker and if you are accelerating, coasting or slowing down as you turn. In low traction street situations this can get really tricky (rain, ice, snow). The axle is trying to spin the tires at the same speed and it can overcome the traction the tires have. results will be unpredictable. It is generally not recommended to have a 'always locked' or 'automatic ' locker on the front axle if you plan on being in 4wd on the street. There are some folks who will say it is okay. I have never tried it so I don't speak from personal experience.

My jeep had a np208. My options were 2wd, full time 4wd high, full time 4wd low. There was no option to drive in 4wd on the pavement. I live in AZ so trail driving on ice/snow was very limited. I put the aussie up front and it was fine. In 2wd, even with the hubs locked, you did not know it was up there.

If I was you I would get the aussie and put it in the rear axle. You have an np229 case right? (2wd, 4pt, 4 full time). You will get the added benefits of a locker and your drivability will not be compromised.
I know that this is a long post to quote, but it will help put my response in perspective. From my signature line, you can see how my truck is modified, specifically the Eaton E-lockers in both diffs. Yes, they are more expensive, but the benefit of driving normally on dry street and having the ability to lock all four together in mud/rocks/deep snow is worth it to me. Notice I didn't mention ice--any locker on ice is tricky.
If you should log onto www.cfsjc.com forums as a guest, open "Land Use Issues," scroll down and click on " Workday May 18," select pg 2, scroll to post #17 and find a video with "Rod making Sawmill look easy," you can see the lockers in action. At the start, I attack in 2 wheel HI and get nowhere--you can hear the rear tire(s) spinning and my buddies hollering instructions. During the pause, I'm finding 4LO and pushing locker buttons on the dash. Then I simply DRIVE up the muddy, rocky trail without even spinning a wheel. Think about it--going from being dead on the trail to not even spinning a wheel. At the end of the ride, I drive home--unlocked of course--without a click, a grind, nor a bind. That's why I spent the big bucks.
Selectable lockers are well worth the money from my standpoint.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

FSJunkie wrote:Warn offered automatic "Lock-o-matics" for a while back in the 50's and 60's. Their operation was pretty complex. Something about automatically locking whenever the transfer case applied torque to the axle, but not locking in reverse unless manually locked.
I would like to add to this basically correct post by indicating that later versions of these hubs do work in both directions. I have them on my '73, had a set on a '68 previously, and they work great. They can be fragile if abused, but they can be locked solid which I have learned to do when seriously off-roading. I haven't broken one since.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

Thanks for the input Rod2!
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

fulsizjeep wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm The only transfer case available in 1990 GW was the New Process 229. It is considered a part time transfer case so you have 2wd HI, 4wd HI, Neutral and 4wd LO shift options. It uses a vacuum switch under dash to select 2wd/4wd then uses a flag shifter on the left side of tranny hump to shift HI, Neutral and LO. The vacuum shifter uses a lockout and tcase HAS to be in 4wd to select other than HI range. In 4wd HI range, the tcase uses a viscous coupler (limited slip) to regulate power to front and rear drive shafts. Never run this tcase in 4wd HI with one drive shaft removed or with manual hubs on front axle unlocked. In 4wd LO range, the viscous coupler is locked for equal power to both front and rear drive shafts. All FSJs equipped with the NP229 had drive slug/gear in the front hubs so the front drive line spins all the time. You should have two big coil springs, one in each front axle hub behind the drive gear.

sample of front hub:

:shock: HOLY OLD THREADS BATMAN!

Is the spring cup only on the 6 lug rotor/hub assembly? I took apart my '79 J20 front to refresh it because I needed to do ball joints. I have two sets of snap rings and cant recall where the larger one goes; I know the smaller one is for the drive gear. In looking at the pic you posted I'm scratching my head on the spring cup. I don't recall there being one. Am I missing one?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Model 46 (J20) is different.

Do you have locking hubs?

No spring. No drive gear. Flange bolts to the hub, covered by a dust cap. Shows the spring cup in there but there is no spring. There should be a snap ring for the end of the axle shaft, but you could probably leave it off with no ill effect.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Looking at the '79 TSM, there is not a separate design for the hub and flange for the model 46 in 1979. The TSM shows the same design for all model 44 front axles. My parts book shows a different design for modle 46 axles, using a bolt-on flange.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

tgreese wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:20 pm Looking at the '79 TSM, there is not a separate design for the hub and flange for the model 46 in 1979. The TSM shows the same design for all model 44 front axles. My parts book shows a different design for modle 46 axles, using a bolt-on flange.

I'm ignorant on the model numbers so please forgive me here ... does your book cover the Cherokee, Wag and GW only or does it get specific with J trucks too?

tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

tgreese wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:22 pm Model 46 (J20) is different.

Do you have locking hubs?

No spring. No drive gear. Flange bolts to the hub, covered by a dust cap. Shows the spring cup in there but there is no spring. There should be a snap ring for the end of the axle shaft, but you could probably leave it off with no ill effect.
No locking hubs (at this point. Swapped to a Dana20, so soon. Ish) It has the chrome dust cap; Part 64 per the diagram I found on the BJs website. Behind the splined slug, Part 62 held in place by the snap ring, Part 63. Without the snap ring it will all slide outward toward the dust cap and most likely push it off. There is a spring, Part 61, behind the slug, that sets up against the spring cap, Part 60.

So far every diagram with a dust cap that I have found is a 6 lug. The 8 lug diagrams all show them with lockable hubs. I just want to be sure that they are indeed necessary or not, and if so get the ordered ASAP.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Includes all models, '74-80. A '79 J20 is a model 46. 10 is wagons, 20 is SWB trucks, 40 is LWB trucks. My J10 is a model 45. A SWB J20 (export only) is a model 26. Apparently the model designations change in '81?

You know what the CJ flange looks like? Some J20s had a flange like that. Apparently not the 1979 J20. All the front 44s in '79 look like the diagram posted above by Flint in 2013, according to the TSM.

Do you have the 1979 TSM? There is an exploded diagram of both the 30 and 44 in there. https://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

Everything I have seems to resemble the diagram. I tried searching for a source for the spring cap. BJs is my go to. Unfortunately they are closed on fridays so now I have to wait to order them Monday morning. Pretty much the story of my life :banghead: