Chuck's 1975 J10- "Jasmine"

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Re: Chuck's 1975 J10- "Jasmine"

Post by Chuck1225 »

HowardT64 wrote:So far...looks like all she needs is some TLC...seems like
she is in good hands:)
Haha.. Loving, caring hands? Yes. Hands capable of doing everything this truck needs? Ehh.. I doubt it. But, I'm here to learn, right?

I haven't really had much of a day where I can be outside all day. I'll probably go back out once I get this posted and try to put the starter back in. Last night, I painted the starter, and while it was drying, I pulled both headlights and got one replaced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

well I am sure you get my meaning :) I learn as I go too:)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Chuck1225 wrote:
twisted frame wrote:It most certainly is a B-A truck - you have black interior panels! I covet those.
What, are they hard to find or something? O.o
In my experience, yes, definitely hard to find, and they just happen to be my favorite because they're 70s. I'm not as into the early 80s Laredo ones.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

twisted frame wrote:
Chuck1225 wrote:
twisted frame wrote:It most certainly is a B-A truck - you have black interior panels! I covet those.
What, are they hard to find or something? O.o
In my experience, yes, definitely hard to find, and they just happen to be my favorite because they're 70s. I'm not as into the early 80s Laredo ones.
Hmm. Interesting. I've been toying with the idea of redoing them with denim or camoflauge, I love denim, but I don't know how it would look, since the truck will be hunter green. I guess its not too late to change the paint color. I don't know. I kinda like the black panels, though, and they look good. So we'll see where it all goes I guess.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

So do black denim... :D
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

jaber wrote:So do black denim... :D
Good idea!

IT STARTS, IT STARTS!! It doesn't want to run yet, as fuel hasn't made it to the carb yet, but I can get it to run for just a few seconds on ether! More detialed explanation and videos to come shortly.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

I realized I didn't update this like I promised I would. Sooo.. For that, I am sorry. I'll roll three updates into one.

http://s901.photobucket.com/user/CF_Chu ... a.mp4.html

11-21-2013
Took some time and cleaned up the air cleaner cover yesterday, since I was much too tired to do much else. Here is a pic, though. :)

11-26-2013
Progress is slow. Slower than slow. Mostly because I work nights and sleep days, which makes it hard to find time to get to the barn. I know I could go out on the nights I don't work, but then I wake my grandma up when I come back in, no matter how quiet I try to be. So, out of respect for my grandparents, I'll just do what I've gotta do when I get the time. I did go out for a little while last night, however. I found the fuel return line, and then traced a quick rough template for my cab corner covers and rocker panels on some spare diamond plate I have laying around.They probably won't be perfect and they probably won't be beautiful, but idc. I think it'll look good enough when it is done. The sad part is, if I had a friend to stand out there and keep me on track, I'd probably get alot more done. XD

Now all I have to do is take a day and figure out why I'm not getting fuel.. I know the fuel pumps were prone to go bad, but I'm not sure if its that or not. I hate to drop $30 on a new pump if that isn't the problem. I'll look at it in a couple hours, after I finish updating this thread and sleep for a little while.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Check all the rubber lines. There is rubber connecting the top of the tank to the frame lines and they should be replaced for safety and peace of mind. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

jaber wrote:Check all the rubber lines. There is rubber connecting the top of the tank to the frame lines and they should be replaced for safety and peace of mind. ;)
Hey, thanks man!! I would have never thought to crawl back under and look at the tank. I would have figured it was all rigid line back there. I guess I can see why, though.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

WELL... PROGRESS!!!

I finally drug my arse away from the keyboard and out of the nice, warm house to the barn, since it was halfway warm and I wasn't (for a change) working on the farm.

I had actually been out there yesterday, and tried to remove the fuel line on the carburetor, but the nice craftsman open-end I had just wasn't cutting it. (nearly slipped and rounded the flare nut.) So, dejected, I sat in the cab for about 5 minutes when I decided to turn the key to accessory and turn the radio on Low and behold, we had sound! (I had my video camera on my phone puled up and filming in about two seconds.. Great song to hear crackle to life, eh?)

http://s901.photobucket.com/user/CF_Chu ... d.mp4.html
^ Video.

So, I came in and was going to post up yesterday's project. (I mean, failed project.) but something made me stop and go "Nahh, I'll see what tomorrow brings."

WELL: Today was a lot better! Not only did I find out there is an AM station near me that plays bluegrass/country, but I got the carburetor off! I'm working on getting it cleaned up and I already have a basic rebuild kit ordered.

I went to autozone and got a nice set of SAE line wrenches- (why borrow from family when I can own?) and a new oil cap, as the old one was.. Well.. Big and bulky and old and smelled nasty, and I suspect was robbed off an Allis Chalmers tractor. Not that there is anything wrong with AC, I just wanted the chrome. :p In fact, you can see the new cap in this picture, which is as the carburetor is just about ready to come out.

================================================

Well, ain't this hillbilly as heck? Since I broke my nice stand light- (well, I didn't break it. One of the legs decided to just give out randomly..) I now have a trouble light for light (half-*** light) and a heat lamp- the blue bulb -for what little heat it provides.

================================================

BAHM! The carburetor is gone, the carb is gone!!! Somebody must have stolen it!!- Oh wait. It's in this box over here. That's right. False alarm!! For anyone who is interested, it's a motorcraft model 2100, proving that AMC REALLY does mean "All Makes Car." (Ford carb, GM transmission.. I haven't found any Dodge parts yet, but I'm sure they're there. That's the nice thing though. Even though these vehicles are so rare, parts for them are still so easy to find. Well, most of the parts, anyway. I'm not crossing my fingers for decent Quadra-Trac chains anytime soon.)

===============================================

Well.. I pulled a (vacuum?) line off this fitting (circled in red), intending to trace it and maybe replace it. It was only a foot long and had a screw stuck in the end. (why am I not surprised?) SO..... I'll now be hitting the books and searching for an answer as to what this goes to!

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Which reminds me: While the carburetor is out, is there anything you recommend I check/change/clean?

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

All vac lines...

That oil cap is not going to help. The original one has a built in filter and a hose that draws air from the air cleaner. It needs this draw for the PCV to work correctly. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Disclaimer: I'm an amateur mechanic and my jeep ran like crud. Now doing fuel injection swap, so take my advice at cost ;)

Replace/Remove the EGR. If you don't have one, celebrate! If you need one for emissions testing, replace it and all the filters. And all the vacuum lines. +1 to what Jaber said about the oil cap, the pcv works with venting to the air cleaner assembly. With the carb off, replace the gasket to the top of the manifold. It's probably dry, brittle, and mostly useless at this point anyway. While you're at it, get a new gasket for the carb too...

If you really want to get freaky fresh, get a new PCV/grommet and some new 3/8" hose to go on it. Might want to consider new fuel lines everywhere too. If it's been sitting, it's dried out. Better to put new ones in now than have a really fun time later on the side of the road. Maybe even go for new battery cables and check all the grounds. Corrosion X is your friend and its non-conductive so soak those connections if need be!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Oh I also just saw that top radiator hose. Dude. Replace that. Metal tubing invites yummy rust to your cooling system party. You can get direct replacement from stock from a couple suppliers (I don't know if I can name places on here, but they are both specialty FSJ parts places) for less than 20 bucks.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

(Backstory: I typed this in word a week ago, intending to update this thread, then.. I completely and totally forgot.)

My grandfather and I rebuilt the carburetor about a week ago, (now two weeks) and since then I've been trying to find the time to get it installed. Well, I got back from the farm kinda early one night, and so I decided to use that time wisely and work on the J10.

First step: Replace the plugs and wires. Everything went smoothly until the top of the last plug snapped off.. SOB. So, sometime soon I need to get another new Champion 14... whatever-the-heck-its-number-is. (I now have it replaced.. Got a new plug two days later.)

Next step: Install my new Edelbrock choke cable. I didn't manage to get a picture, since it was rather dark and the one picture I DID take, you can't tell what the heck it was a picture of. I did manage to get a picture of the packaging, though. (just because "pics or it didn't happen!" lol.)

After that, I set the carb down and bolted it in place.. I haven't hooked any of the linkages or lines up, but I put my new air cleaner on to see what it would look like. I think it looks good, honestly.

I have my new glasspacks! I'm going to run true duals eventually. 2.5 inch pipe the whole way.. I'll probably just dump it behind the cab so there isn't an extra lot of pipe, and extra expenses. Since they were there and I couldn't pass the offer up, here they are. Thrush glasspacks: 2.5 inch inlets and outlets, and 28 inch overall length. Might be a lot bigger than I need, but.. It'll be trial and error.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

I am proud to announce that progress has been made! On the other hand.. I'm ashamed to admit that until tonight, I couldn't for the life of me remember what my username was.. I kept thinking there was an extra "k" (don't ask me why.. Because I don't know.) consequently.. The truck is nearly "done", or, well, road ready. Unfortunatley.. I don't have the time or the typing capacity to type up everything that has transpired in the last year.. I promise you, though, I'll go into greater detail soon. (I suck at these build thread thingamajiggers, apparently.)