Chuck's 1975 J10- "Jasmine"

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Chuck's 1975 J10- "Jasmine"

Post by Chuck1225 »

O.K.. So.. Today was a really, really, really great day. Why? Look below. Yep, thats me holding the key to my J10. And yes, I said MY J10. The title is in my hands now, and the truck is in the garage.

--------
Look at this B-A truck. Well, it's B-A in my eyes, anyway. Lol.
--------
(sorry for the cruddy cellphone pics. Maybe I can get some better ones later)
--------
The door panel looks good! the seat... Not so much. Might have it recovered in cloth. at any rate, the seat and headliner are getting redone.
--------
If I ever find the person who got orange paint all over the inside of my rig... Lol.
---------
only 274,XXX miles!! I think it'll probably be near time for an engine rebuild.. I'll probably wheel it for awhile first, though.
Look closely at the gas gauge in the above pic..
... And then in this pic. Yep, the gas gauge works!! And the backlighting works too!! Pretty faint, though. I think the green is sweet.
(Here's a picture where I turned the shop light off, so you can see what it looks like in the (semi) darkness. the barn lights were still on, but they aren't much help. They are what caused those two white dots, though.)
----------
I should also say, the fan works!! (Picture of the fan/heater controls in the "off" position.)
The wipers work, too!!
[FONT="Impact"]^THIS IS A VIDEO! CLICK ITTTTTT!!!!!![/FONT]
-----------
While I had the lights on, I decided to see if I had any more lights. I have 2 marker lights (drivers side front and passenger side front fender) and both tail lights!!
Sure, I have some wiring issues to address, clearly, but at the same time- Its been sitting in a barn for twelve years. I wasn't expecting any of this extra stuff (fan, wipers, some of the lights, radio) to work. Actually, I'm not entirely sure about the radio. I turned it on, but all I got was a faint crackling as I messed with the dials. Maybe its just because it is in a galvanized barn.
-----------
ORIGINAL RADIOOOOOO!!! I think it'd be awesome to send it out and have it redone so its all new inside. Maybe even add in an aux. input.. But now, I'm just dreaming. Lol.
-----------
O.K.. Now its time that nobody likes. Time to assess the "cancer". First are the two cab corners and the rocker panels, which I noticed before I bought the truck.

Drivers side cab corner.

Passenger side cab corner. (this next one is also dinged up, along with being rusted. Oh well, its not a major ding. :D)

Drivers side rocker panel.

Passenger side rocker panel.

Thankfully, all of the frame that I have seen looks like this. Rusty, for sure, but not rusted through.

The top of the truck, which I had also seen before the purchase.

Thankfully, I rememberd I had these two pieces of diamond plate. I'm thinking about using them to make armor for the cab corners.

In all reality, the only rust spot I didn't notice before I bought the truck is also the biggest. Unfortunatley, I didn't think to get a pic, since I got distracted when I picked up my phone/camera. Oh well, thats a picture for tomorrow. Its at the outside edge of the driver's side floorpan.
-------------
Check out the PO's.. ...interesting... Filler neck. Chrome cap, at least. ;)
-------------
Lookie what else I got today! (fire extinguisher was actually from a week or so ago. Originally gonna mount it in an XJ. I actually started a thread on where to mount it, LOL.) 4 piece HVLP sprayer set from TSC. Should be cheap but effective, I hope.
--------------
YES!! I have a 360!!!
(this next one i edited, in case the first was too hard to see)
--------------
Open the glove-box, and low and behold: Original owners manual, and a small folder with a bunch of (what appears to be) receipts. I haven't gone through them yet, but I plan to soon.
--------------
THE VERY FIRST MOD!!!
Mossy Oak camo air freshener. The truck doesn't smell bad or anything, just old. So I figured this might help a little.)
---------------
I climb in to put it on.. And what? were these things made before the time of rear-view mirroirs?
----------------
So.. At any rate, it is now hanging from the radio.

All in all.. A damn good day. And now, to go check out Autozone.com for some prices on parts for a tune-up.

I will admit that I am doing this thread on two different sites, here and on CherokeeForum. So if you see this exact threa there.. Thats why.

blue beast j10

Re: Chuck's 1975 J10- "Jasmine"

Post by blue beast j10 »

I would have to agree, B-A truck looks like a good start good luck and have fun with it.
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Congrats. Looks like a great start. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

blue beast j10 wrote:I would have to agree, B-A truck looks like a good start good luck and have fun with it.
Thanks!! I have parts... Update soon. :D
jaber wrote:Congrats. Looks like a great start. :-bd
Thanks man!! You are my hero, lol. LOVE that wrecker. Which, by the way.. There's an old wrecker boom at the local junkyard. I was debating buying it and putting it on, but I didn't want to be a copycat. I've decided that I'll either redo the flatbed in metal, or I'll build my own bed and model it after the early 1940's Willys trucks/Dodge Power Wagons/thriftside style boxes. Always liked the look of them, and maybe I could even fab up a nice spare-tire/Jerry-can mount.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thats 27k miles ;) The last digit is for tenths of a mile :)

Looks like a decent starting platform.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Stuka wrote:Thats 27k miles ;) The last digit is for tenths of a mile :)

Looks like a decent starting platform.
Yeah, someone else told me that today. :) Though, if I had to guess, i'd think it was 127K. Or else it was rode hard and put up wet. Ain't nothin' clean. Then again.. It looks better than my grandpa's 1988 F350 with 130k miles, so maybe..

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Just a quick update. Went to autozone last night and got some parts. Ended up getting new headlights, marker lights, dash lights, a new starter solenoid, plug wire kit, distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, air and oil filters, carb cleaner, flasher, and I also got a service manual.

Installed the starter solenoid this morning, but still nothing. Time to check connections, I guess. I chalk this up as my own stupid fault for throwing parts at something before verifying the diagnosis. Oh well, it was old enough that it probably needed done anyway.

My plan continues to evolve as time passes. Right now, I'll get it running and then tear the block down over the winter. Clean it up nice, check my tolerances, and then decide if it needs sent out for machining. If I do have it machined, I'll see how much extra it would be to bore it out to a 401. While the block is out, I can REALLY concentrate on rust control, as well as any front axle repairs/upgrades and any transmission repairs, if I drive it and something doesn't feel right.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The 360 block can not be bored to 401. Not enough pistol wall. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

401 has a different crank, rods, and pistons. If you want a 401, you need a 401.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Chuck1225

Re: Chuck's 1975 J10-

Post by Chuck1225 »

jaber wrote:The 360 block can not be bored to 401. Not enough pistol wall. ;)
Stuka wrote:401 has a different crank, rods, and pistons. If you want a 401, you need a 401.
Well shoot.. lol. I had read somewheres that AMC V8 blocks were all cast the same and then bored out to their respective measurements.. I guess this is why it pays to do a ton of research.

In other news... I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forwards. I had only fifteen minutes to work on the truck tonight, so I hooked up my new solenoid a couple of different ways tonight, and got nothin'. No power at all. no lights or wipers.. Nothing. I decided to call it a night since grandma was nagging me about coming inside anyway. I'll get it worked on tomorrow, hopefully. Time to REALLY study my schematics. (If I haven't mentioned, electronics isn't my strongest area. I'm decent at it, though. At least, I'm decent at it in my mind.)

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Well, thanks to jaber and tgreese, I'm at least back to square one. Thanks again guys!! I have to reread my manual again tonight and formulate a plan of attack for tomorrow, as well as make a decision. IF it turns out to be the starter is bad, I need to decide if I'm going to replace the starter right away, or if I want to pull the engine and do the starter then, as well as replacing gaskets, checking clearances/tolerances, and a possible rebuild if it needs it. My original plan was to get it running and give it a shakedown run, and then after that I would decide if I needed to pull it, but if I can save myself some time on a creeper, it might be worth it in the long run. Questions, comments, and suggestions? what would you do and why?

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

It most certainly is a B-A truck - you have black interior panels! I covet those.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

twisted frame wrote:It most certainly is a B-A truck - you have black interior panels! I covet those.
What, are they hard to find or something? O.o

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Chuck1225 wrote: Questions, comments, and suggestions? what would you do and why?
I would get it running and drive it. It's going to suck money out of you like a wallet vampire, so I would establish a baseline for what it NEEDS before I tried to guess by pulling the engine. Using my psychic powers I'm predicting that the engine has 5 years/10K miles before it really starts asking for a rebuild. In the more immediate future I see the majority of the money you throw at it being better spent chasing electrical gremlins/upgrades and replacing the hard wear parts, like TREs, ball joints, u-joints and wheel bearings. "recreational" expenditures should mostly be focused at making the exterior and interior less appalling to the fairer sex. :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

REDONE wrote:I would get it running and drive it. It's going to suck money out of you like a wallet vampire, so I would establish a baseline for what it NEEDS before I tried to guess by pulling the engine. Using my psychic powers I'm predicting that the engine has 5 years/10K miles before it really starts asking for a rebuild.

Sounds like a good, solid idea to me. Thanks for the opinion! If you think it has that long to go, then I won't worry about the engine too much. Expert opinions are always appreciated, as my plans are always subject to change. I'm basing my order of procedures loosely around how my dad and I were going to redo my 1979 Plymouth Duster, so I know there's a lot that needs to be changed and addressed in a different order; I'm just not sure where to start. Speaking of that duster, it was a cool car. -or at least, that is, until dad found out it needed new frame rails. At that point, I had to sell it for half of what I bought it for. But, lesson learned: Never let your father talk you into buying a car off ebay. You wanna know the sad part? I bought it when I was 14 and sold it right before I turned 16. I never even got to drive it around the yard!
REDONE wrote:In the more immediate future I see the majority of the money you throw at it being better spent chasing electrical gremlins/upgrades and replacing the hard wear parts, like TREs, ball joints, u-joints and wheel bearings.

Yeah, I suppose that would probably be the better thing to do, now that you mention it. Any electrical upgrades you would reccommend that are fairly simple and cheap? I'm not expecting fuel injection and electronicly controlled ignition; but brighter dash lights, as well as any other small tips like that (such as any reccommendations on things to rewire with heavier wire) would be appreciated.
REDONE wrote:"recreational" expenditures should mostly be focused at making the exterior and interior less appalling to the fairer sex. :P

Sooo.. I suppose I'm definitely going to be reupholstering the bench seat and redoing the headliner. :P

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I always thought that diamond plate would look cool as door panels:)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

HowardT64 wrote:I always thought that diamond plate would look cool as door panels:)

Here you go...

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =34&t=1441
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

oOOoooooOOoooo okay!! My next project:) THANKS!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Ok.. There wasn't really much to report from Monday, due to being busy with other things. I did, however, get the starter pulled and tossed in the back seat of the Cherokee. I debated cleaning connections and retrying, but figured that if I was pulling it off anyway- at least partly -I could take it in and have it tested, and if it sounded worn, I could just fix it right then.

As for today, I got some more goodies! :D 2 jack stands, all the radiator hoses, radiator cleaner, fuel filter, and black engine paint to paint the body of the starter with since I don't want it to rust any more. Also had the starter tested. And do you know what? It's strong and healthy! :o :shock: :o So, I came home and decided I'd test the cable that runs in between the solenoid and the starter. Its gotta be that, right? Wrong. I've got plenty of continuity. So, the last thing I can figure is that my connection wasn't good. I'll try cleaning it tomorrow (If I get time) and see what happens. I can only hope, right?
Oh, I've got other good news!! I pulled the front passenger tire off to inspect the brakes, (an excuse to use one of the new jack stands,) And lookie what I found!! Factory discs!! I don't have to do a conversion now. :D

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

So far...looks like all she needs is some TLC...seems like
she is in good hands:)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"