Calling in the pro's....

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Calling in the pro's....

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Well, after 5 months of trying to wrap up my axle swap, the Wag is going to be towed on over to Vegas4x4 to see if they cant make the brakes work for me.

Sigh. Ya win some and ya lose some I guess.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

kurtuleas

Re: Calling in the pro's....

Post by kurtuleas »

Larry is a good guy. He will fix it up right!
CRAWL MAGAZINE

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

That's what I have been told, and that's what I'm hoping for!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hope they can get it going for you!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Dont worry, we've all been there a time or two.

Anxious to hear what it is.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I call readjust of rear brakes!
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

got a call less than an hour and a half after they opened.

"it's stopping pretty dang well, but we want you to come drive it because you know how it should feel. Though if this were my rig, I'd be real happy with how it stops!"

Said they switched some vacuum lines around and made some adjustments (didn't specify what) then said after that the REAR wasnt grabbing, because they were way out of adjustment. Took 2.5 turns on the adjusters to get em right.

I'll get more details when I get over there.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Perhaps we should have carnuck give us a set of lotto numbers next :P
2017 JKU Rubicon

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

The important thing is that you get it back on the trails doing what it was designed to do. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Perhaps we should have carnuck give us a set of lotto numbers next :P
Right? Lol.

I havent driven it yet, but will get over there this afternoon.

If the brakes work, all I need to do is get my front shocks bolted up, get a steering stabilizer, get an alignment, get my rear diff filled/sealed up, and new rear shocks mounted and it'll be ready for minor action. I still need to rebuild the rear brakes (everything except the cylinders needs replaced for peace of mind) and also I need to do the rear bearings, but that'll come a bit later.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Wait, are they driving it with no rear diff fluid?!
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Wait, are they driving it with no rear diff fluid?!
Yeah, i told them to take it on the freeway and everything.

No, it's just needing to be sealed because it has a slow leak. Last time i opened oit up it was at the fill hole but spilled some out because of the pinion angle. I just need to reseal it, lift the ass of the jeep, and fill it up.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:then said after that the REAR wasnt grabbing, because they were way out of adjustment. Took 2.5 turns on the adjusters to get em right.
The rear brakes should auto adjust by driving in reverse and pumping the brakes several times. Maybe the shoes were not tight enough to make that happen. When working on rear brakes, I usually spin the adjusters until the shoes drag slightly without brake peddle pressure then loosen until it stops dragging. From there it is the exercise in reverse and pump brakes routine.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I push the shoes fore and aft by prying against the adjuster and readjust manually till there is just a slight drag when centered (drums cold or when they do cool, the shoes will engage and drag)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

fulsizjeep wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:then said after that the REAR wasnt grabbing, because they were way out of adjustment. Took 2.5 turns on the adjusters to get em right.
The rear brakes should auto adjust by driving in reverse and pumping the brakes several times. Maybe the shoes were not tight enough to make that happen. When working on rear brakes, I usually spin the adjusters until the shoes drag slightly without brake peddle pressure then loosen until it stops dragging. From there it is the exercise in reverse and pump brakes routine.
Yup, thats how we had them adjusted, by hand that is. I had to back them off when I went to take the drums off the other week though. Said he had to rotate them 2.5 and 2 full turns to get them to drag slightly/correctly

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Well, brakes definitely work.

There is a bunch of pedal travel, but got it up to speed, stomped the pedal, and scrubbed all 4 tires.

That'll work!

I ordered new front and rear shocks (sensatrac for the front, and the sensatrac load leveling shocks in the back). Will likely pick up new rear shoes drums and hardware tomorrow. Hope to get it all together and go camping this weekend.

After i switch back to ported vacuum for my dizzy! My idle is all high and out of wack and it misses now....grr.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

My adjusters self adjust when the e-brake is applied. Well, they would if I had an e-brake... :-P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

REDONE wrote:My adjusters self adjust when the e-brake is applied. Well, they would if I had an e-brake... :-P
I am currently sans e brake as well.

When this axle was removed the lines were cut. I need to pull the good lines off of my 73 axle that's in the back yard

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

So, uh, how's your budget for this going. :mrgreen:
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

What budget????? :cry:
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner