multi problems

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
blue beast j10

multi problems

Post by blue beast j10 »

1) ok first when I start the j10 with 360 2bbl it puffs out a small cloud off white smoke then goes away and runs pretty decent. :-?
2) next I fixed some wiring in the back and had tail lights, blinkers all worked good drove it now I have drivers side tail, brake and turn. pass. side very faint tail no turn but the side marker on both sides in rear blink on right turn all I did when I fixed it was took out the trailer wiring and reconnected the wires one at a time and taped them separately and all was good HELP? :x :-?
3) now redid all vacuum lines on whole truck but when I did the switch for the QT the light stayed on tried switching lines thinking I had them crossed but that engaged the QT so put them back went for ride yesterday (just dirt road) now light went out but switch started hissing. :banghead: :banghead: all I really want to do is go :fsj:
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

REDONE

Re: multi problems

Post by REDONE »

Lets start with issue No.1: Can you go start it up, run it for five minutes or so revving every now and again to warm it up. Then shut it down, pull the spark plugs and take some pictures of your burnt knuckles, particularly while holding the spark plugs so that the electrodes can be seen clearly?
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

I do not have a camera here to use and have not been able to post any picks lately of the recent one's I have so that would be a no. I did get some posted on show and tell but I don't think anyone has even looked at them or there not good enough to comment on. ranting sorry but if you have any other suggestions that would be helpful I did get brake and turn on pass side but still no tail light.

I will go do what you said and burn myself and try to give the best description I can.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Well schucks. It's pretty much impossible to read a description of a spark plug. But I'd venture the guess that you need valve stem seals to cure the smoke on start up. Sucks I'm so broke and busy, but one of these weekends I'll try to come over the mountains and lend a hand. I was born and raised over there on the outskirts of GJ.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

unless you can bring a truck load of tools we wouldn't get to far but thanks for the offer and I completely understand broke I can only buy like 1 part a month if it doesn't cost to much and I have no idea about the inner workings of the motor is this some thing that can wait awhile or should I start saving now and put off all the other things my poor truck needs it is my DD but I don't drive much or very far right now. were abouts over here you kinda look familiar I also grew up here but am a little older than you. I was a looking at a place over there online and was thinking of going for a ride and checking it out if i can get the truck in good enough shape for that kinda drive.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Do you have a smart phone with a camera? There is now a free version of tapatalk (android and iOS) and you can upload straight to the forum with it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

no my phone rides the short bus and I don't think I could run a smart phone anyway hell I barely can run the computer and still think the best tool for it is a 3lb sledge.

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

all ranting aside still need to know what's up with QT switch and why I don't have tail light pass. side when I now have brake and turn?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

1: Most likely leaky valve stem guides. Oil leaks in when sitting. Burns off after its started.

2: Most likely a bad ground. Recheck the wires, and make sure the grounds are clean.

3: Switch may have a leak, do you have a vacuum pump to test it?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

are they hard to change and are they expensive do you have to have special tools

went through all the wires cleaned ground wires and it did help everything but the tail light

no I don't have a vacuum tester but it looks like I really need one with all the lines these things have

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, you can test vacuum without one. Just use the engine. Pull the switch out, and see if its maybe a loose line, or if the vacuum leak is coming from inside it. You just wont be able to really see how well it holds vacuum without a vacuum pump with a gage on it. But you dont really need a vacuum pump for most things.

Valve stem seals typically involve pulling the head. So its not a quick project. Sometimes if the vehicle sat for a long time, the seals can dry up, and they will leak. And after driving regularly, they can swell back and leak less, or not at all.
2017 JKU Rubicon

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Check the sockets themselves on the rear lights, I have found weak springs not letting the contact touch the bulb base.

On the Vac switch, figure out which line is live and which line is normal drive, and just use a tube to connect the two, bypassing the switch. Then you can watch for one and install it later. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

contacts in the socket or the bulb is incorrect (needs to be 1157, not 1156!)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

I have 1157,s in can you get a replacement socket for these? not an electrician at all am saving up for new harness to replace the whole thing just trying to get by for now.

so vacuum to center port goes to intake and I believe the top goes to the rear port on the QT diaphragm and the bottom to the forward port where would I link the crossover to and from?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

sounds right
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I get the vacuum lines swapped more times than not when I work on them. The lines behind the glovebox are new too?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Be aware that sometimes it does take rolling the vehicle for the unit to come out of drive & the light go off. You may be experiencing a normal function especially if it hasn't been used much put it through the cycle a few times back & forth & see if it works better. This is assuming you fix the hissing sound from the vacuum leak & all other leaks. If you didn't replace the hoses you should. it's cheap.

I would agree that the smoke is from the valve stems you can further confirm this by getting on a road & putting the truck in second gear. Run it up to a decent rpm & the let off the gas letting the motor slow the truck down if it smokes then it's definitely the valve stems. If your plugs are oil fowled or your oil breather on the filler tube is nasty & stopped up you might have a ring problem. You can Google the fowled sparks plug pictures on the internet to see what they look like or take them to a auto supply store to see what condition they are in.

Fowled plugs can come from valve guide seals rings & rich condition. It doesn't point to a single condition. Without tools & knowledge changing the valve guide should not be attempted. Although some will tell you it's easy it does take tools & basic knowledge.

The Tail light problem like mentioned is more than likely grounds behind the housings. Follow the grounds to ensure they are good no rust & clean metal to metal connections. Also make sure you have good spring tension on the sockets when installed. Take a good piece of steel wool & clean the sockets & the bulbs to ensure good contact. Also the flasher are resistance driven & change over the years of use. Change them out to electronic ones you can buy at any auto parts stores to help the flashing.

That's a great graphic on the vacuum. The grommet is going through the dash to a ball on the firewall behind the carburetor. Make sure you have no vacuum leaks there.

Twisting & Taping the wires is not a solution it is a problem waiting to come back the wires will be loose before you get the tape on them. They need to be at the least crimped together or at the best soldered.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

A bit of light blue smoke on fire-up for an old engine isn't unusual, it means your valve guides are worn. If you start getting a puff of light blue smoke when shifting gears it means they're worn even more. And when it's puffing light blue smoke on fire-up and when shifting even when the engine is fully warmed up, it means they're badly worn and are passing so much oil that it will probably start fouling spark plugs.

When it starts blowing light blue smoke all the time it means it's time for piston rings. I hope yours is just a small puff when cold on start up.

Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

right now just puff on cold start took it on 85 mile run the other day and noticed that the next morning it was less the truck did sit for some time before I bought it and it ran like s%#$ I have got it running better but will need some new parts like TBI, HEI ect.. think a new wire harness is in order also the insulation is really dry and the copper is kinda discolored even when striped and I think the sockets need to be replaced if they can if so does anyone have part# for socket local stores full of kids that just shrug shoulders and say I don't know.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

On your '79, you can do the TFI up grade on your current dizzy and have the same performance as an HEI from bolt on parts. ;)

http://fsjeep.homestead.com/TFI_Upgade.html
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/