Pin Hole in the Oil Pan

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Owatonna

Pin Hole in the Oil Pan

Post by Owatonna »

I just discovered a pin hole in my oil pan. Is there anything that will work as a temporary repair without dropping the pan? I really don't want to remove the pan to weld it if I don't have to, I plan on doing a rebuild next spring.
1987 Grand Wagoneer 107K mi, Rusty's 4", Pro-Comp 31x10.5, MT Classic II, Recent TFI (Should have done that a long time ago!)

yjsquareguy

Re: Pin Hole in the Oil Pan

Post by yjsquareguy »

I remember my dad and grandfather soldering a penny to an oil pan. I think it was the first time I said Shi! Got spanked pretty good for repeating what I heard.

Rob
1989 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon. 3.8L
2005 Grand Cherokee. 5.7 Hemi
Rob
rob.fischer@matanzasjeepclub.com

2007 JK Rubicon
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L
1989 Grand Wagoneer

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

Gorilla tape pasted over with Permatex Ultra Black. I'm not kidding. I've fixed gas tanks and had them hold for years like that.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

FSJunkie wrote:Gorilla tape pasted over with Permatex Ultra Black. I'm not kidding. I've fixed gas tanks and had them hold for years like that.
Hmm. Filing that away ...

It would have to be something that stops the leak and holds it back from the moment it's applied. I'd drain the oil completely, and lift one corner of the Jeep so the remaining little bit of oil pools away from the leak. Maybe two-part epoxy putty would work too - the faster setting the better. Clean and roughen the pan around the leak. Then get every bit of oil off the area with acetone or lacquer thinner. Quickly apply the tape/putty after the final cleaning, to plug the hole before any more oil seeps out. Not that I've done this ... just a guess at what might work for a few months.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

oakknoll

Post by oakknoll »

I have neer done it, but I hear JB Weld will seal an oil pan leak. Once again CLEAN would be the key to anything working.
Peter

1984 J-10
1982 CJ-8
1982 Wagoneer
1991 Comanche
1998 XJ Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee
2007 Commander
2012 Wrangler

Topic author
Owatonna

Post by Owatonna »

Thanks for the suggestions, it's mid way up on the pan so there shouldn't be too much seepage after it's drained. I'll let you know how it comes out!
1987 Grand Wagoneer 107K mi, Rusty's 4", Pro-Comp 31x10.5, MT Classic II, Recent TFI (Should have done that a long time ago!)

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Take it all the way down to the metal. A good epoxy will work. Quick setting. Forget the JB weld.

Since it is on the side a self tapping screw & rubber washer would work too. JB weld will not hold up to petroleum products continuously sitting on it.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

letank

Post by letank »

Remember that a pin hole is not single.... time to shop for an oil pan... happened w my gas tank.... fixed the first pin hole w the screw and rubber washer.... the second w jb weld that held up fine for years -but I understand that the formula has changed- on the third pin hole... it went to the radiator shop.... after 38 years going for a newer tank.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Owatonna

Post by Owatonna »

Well so far so good. Went to my local Napa Auto and bought some Permatex Cold Weld 2 part epoxy. Says it works on all fluids including motor oil and can take 300 degrees. Just cleaned the surface with sand paper and carb cleaner (acetone) and smeared it on.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Owatonna wrote:Well so far so good. Went to my local Napa Auto and bought some Permatex Cold Weld 2 part epoxy. Says it works on all fluids including motor oil and can take 300 degrees. Just cleaned the surface with sand paper and carb cleaner (acetone) and smeared it on.

great deal Hope it stays with you.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I changed a motor in a Capri (2.0L) and the PO had dropped the pan and left the old con rod stuff in the pan (bearings, nuts, etc) I washed out the pan real good and somehow missed one of the con rod nuts stuck under the drainage tray. It came out of there while racing and got between the pan and a spinning connecting rod which punched it right through the pan. I fixed it with Seal-All glue, let it harden for 2 hours and we were back racing with it again till the end of the season.
I also used it to fix a finger sized hole in my fuel tank of my '66 Fairlane when someone threw a cinder block off an overpass on the Trans Canada in front of me late at night. I had just filled up before that so I swerved up on the side embankment, walked to the nearest 7-11 (after spending about 1/2 an hour looking for the little puke with murder in my eyes. Found out he killed a trucker 3 weeks later with a cinder block hanging from the same overpass) They had the Seal-All in store so I bought that and glued something in the hole (I think it was the knob off an old window crank) That lasted over 5 years (I sold the car after the rebuilt trundle style powerbrake booster failed and I took out my neighbor's fence)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle