major electrical problems

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
damaya

major electrical problems

Post by damaya »

I'm starting a new thread, my problems started with my 86 GW not starting. I gave it a tune up ( cap, rotor, plugs and wires). I installed a new eldelbrock and a new coil(I think this is where I screwed up, I plugged the green wire in the positive terminal and the yellow wire in the negative terminal). I got the GW started and took it for a test drive, after a couple blocks the GW died. I tried to start and nothing. No power to any components when I turn the key to accessory position. I have a good battery. I replaced the ignition switch, still have same problem.I must have blown a fuse somewhere, I just don't know where to start looking.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
David

tgreese

Re: major electrical problems

Post by tgreese »

damaya wrote:I'm starting a new thread, my problems started with my 86 GW not starting. I gave it a tune up ( cap, rotor, plugs and wires). I installed a new eldelbrock and a new coil(I think this is where I screwed up, I plugged the green wire in the positive terminal and the yellow wire in the negative terminal). I got the GW started and took it for a test drive, after a couple blocks the GW died. I tried to start and nothing. No power to any components when I turn the key to accessory position. I have a good battery. I replaced the ignition switch, still have same problem.I must have blown a fuse somewhere, I just don't know where to start looking.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
David
Hi David -

You say your problem is that you don't know where to start. Do you own a multimeter? Do you know how to use it? With electrical problems, you need to be systematic. Get the wiring diagram for your Jeep - http://www.oljeep.com - the '86 diagrams are there in multiple sections. Print them out and tape them together. Then start at the battery. Trace the power circuit from the battery to under the dash. Keep going circuit by circuit until the power goes away. then look in the section from where you last had power to where the power was lost.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

It's like tracing Christmas tree lights. You start with the one closest to the plug and keep checking things down the line. First take the battery cables off, clean the connections of any grey pasty stuff (that's lead oxide, which doesn't pass power well. I fixed 3 cars and an airplane with that issue today)
Next, check the other end of the battery cables to see if they are tight. I jump from there to testing the main terminal on the alt for power. If no power a jumper properly fastened from there to the battery + may get you home.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
damaya

Post by damaya »

An update
I got the GW running!
I had blown the fusable link, replaced the one going to the starter switch.
Thanks
David