NO VACUUM LINES...help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Starlight

NO VACUUM LINES...help

Post by Starlight »

OK, so I've had this 1982 258ci J10 for about 3 weeks now and have been going over it inch by inch. I have a Tech Service Manual to guide me. Pulled the gauge pod out to lube the speedo cable & get the odometer working. In the process, discovered that none of the heater controls or vacuum lines to the heater were hooked up. Plus they are rotten. So in the process of redoing all of it with new vacuum lines, I have discovered that many of the vacuum lines running all over the truck have been pulled off or dead ended, by a PO. So I guess I have 2 questions: (1) The manual shows 2 lines going into the Vacuum Storage Tank mounted on the firewall, behind the engine, for the heater. My VST had nothing coming or going from it. Manual shows one tube from the heater going into it and another coming out, but does not show where (on the truck) it goes after that. Where does it go to? (2) Will the heater work at all after I get it all hooked back up properly, if so many of the other vac lines are not hooked up?

The manual shows some vac diagrams, but not enough detail. I wish I knew someone else with a truck like to to just compare, but don't know anyone else with one. Thanks for any and all help on this manner. If anyone has a better vac diagram than the tech manual shows or has some detailed photos that would be great.

tgreese

Re: NO VACUUM LINES...help

Post by tgreese »

Starlight wrote:
The manual shows some vac diagrams, but not enough detail. I wish I knew someone else with a truck like to to just compare, but don't know anyone else with one. Thanks for any and all help on this manner. If anyone has a better vac diagram than the tech manual shows or has some detailed photos that would be great.
What's wrong with the TSM diagrams? Are you looking at the factory service manual? The vacuum diagrams are complicated but quite detailed. Page V-19.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You are making this more complicated than it is.

I'm looking at page 3D-6 and 3D-7. If you read the description it should be clear. You have two vacuum motors on the heater (fig 3D-6), each of which connects to the vacuum control switch (fig 3D-5). The vacuum switch connects back through the firewall to the vaccum storage tank (fig 3D-6). The other hose from the vacuum storage tank connects to manifold vacuum.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

I have the Jeep Technical Service Manual 1982-1983 and the last page in the Vac series goes to page V-13. No V-19 page that I can see. Thank you for the info. I did not see where the other line went from the VST to the manifold vacuum for some reason. I shall pay more attention. I love a challenge, guess I have one. Thanks again.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Starlight wrote:I have the Jeep Technical Service Manual 1982-1983 and the last page in the Vac series goes to page V-13. No V-19 page that I can see. Thank you for the info. I did not see where the other line went from the VST to the manifold vacuum for some reason. I shall pay more attention. I love a challenge, guess I have one. Thanks again.
You are looking at the '83 supplement. The '82 diagrams are about an inch back in the manual.

Glad I could help! 8-)
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I looked at the diagrams again, and it's V-13 you want, not V-19. V-19 is for high altitude.

It might be helpful to make a few photocopies of the page, and get some colored pencils. There are several systems mixed together in the same diagram. You can trace out the spark control, the EGR, the air injection, the vapor recovery, PCV and TAC (thermostatic air cleaner) separately.

For this application, both the TAC and the air injection are extra complicated. All the stuff in the southwest corner of the diagram is controlled by three solenoids, and has to be controlled from somewhere (the ECU, electronic control unit). It controls the air injection valve and the throttle positioner. The TAC has its own valve, which looks like it should be controlled by coolant temperature (in the block or manifold), but from the drawing it may be located on the air cleaner.

If you look in sections 1J and 1K, these systems are explained individually. 1J-83 has a discussion of the Feedback Systems, which should control the solenoids.

There's a lot to learn here, if you want to put it back to factory condition. Unless I were committed to putting everything back, I would start learning as much as I could about simplifying these systems. The electronic Carter BBD carburetor on these Jeeps is universally hated as being fussy, complicated and troublesome. Do you need to keep the car smog legal? How much are you willing to spend? Do you want to stay with a carburetor, or do you want to go with fuel injection?
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

I guess no sticker on the valence! I have the pict of the sticker... will post later for a 1982 wagoneer w the 6cyl , auto... Calif, should be the same...

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Hi
No it does not have to be completely stock. It's running fine with the new carb kit and I just want the heater to work. Not too worried about smog stuff. Idaho is not strict about that on the old old cars like this one. I did discover that the Temperature Control Cable is broken at the dash. So trying to locate one. Unless you, or anyone out there, knows of a substitute.
The label on my truck is a KE version.

Thanks

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

BTW...that KE sticker does not show any Vacuum diagrams.

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Found a Temp Control Cable from BJs

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

Another question. What is their (TSM) definition of High Altitude? I'm usually about 2500 to 3500 feet.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Starlight wrote:Another question. What is their (TSM) definition of High Altitude? I'm usually about 2500 to 3500 feet.
Not sure. I'd say Denver. I expect it's up to the dealership to specify that the car is for use at high altitude.

You understand that it's a configuration from the factory? A high-altitude vehicle will be delivered with different characteristics.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

If you check the sticker I posted... it mention below 4000' as a reference.... so high will be above 4000'. I had a high altitude wagfy once. Timing is 16 degrees and the rest is speculative such as smaller jets and idle mixture screws adjustments.
Which carb do yu have? Pict is better of course.
Timing increase is considered to be by 1 degre for every 1000' from sea level and base timing of 12.
Back from Ouray where I ran 22... and lowered to 16... and I have not moved to 12.... and it is running fine.
Ws for the heater control... from the black ball to the vacuum shifter on the instrument cluster switch and from the instrument to the defrost and the floor vacuum valve.. it is trial and error....the hoses are colored coded... but I do not have the code.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I remember on the heater controls the center being live vac from the ball, but dont remember which the other ports are...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Starlight

Post by Starlight »

i GOT IT ALL PUT BACK TOGETHER AND ALL IS WELL. Most of the emmissions junk has been taken off as well as most of the vac stuff, but I figured out how to make the heater work. That's what counts. Thanks for all of your help everyone. This site rocks!