Proud of my son Nathan

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Proud of my son Nathan

Post by The PIG Smith »

A few of you may have met my son Nathan at one of Zach's Meet & Greets, or seen pics of him when he and I go on crazy adventures...
...and I am always proud of him for he and I share a lot of interests in common.
Sadly, he likes Coyote powered Ford Mustangs more than an AMC 401 powered street machines, but other than that, we on on the same page on most everything else.

Today, Nathan returned from Scout Camp having earned his Rifle and Archery Merit Badges.
What makes this extremely exciting news, was than Nathan was the very first Scout at our Scout Camp to ever qualify for the Rifle Merit using a .50 caliber black power, muzzle loading rifle.
The tradition since the beginning of time, was for Scouts to use a .22 caliber rifle, typical a single shot, bolt action style rifle to earn the Rifle Merit Badge.
Recently, the BSA has permitted the use of modern Thomas Center brand muzzle loading rifles at BSA ranges.
This year at Camp Chief Little Turtle, Nathan was "THE" Scout to score 35 points or higher on each of 5 target to qualify.
His targets all had a really great grouping.
Nathan commented that he thought shooting the muzzle loader was easy and more enjoyable than the .22
(maybe all those hours of playing the XBox and Black Ops/Modern Warfare 3 is paying off?)

Additional, he had the highest overall score in Archery of the entire Camp.
He put the arrow dead center of the bullseye a few times with most of the other arrows close to the center.
While he did not get an award or anything, he was recognized at the closing campfire.

Krista, we are ready to defend from attacks in The Great Zombie Apocalypse.
I will need someone to cover for me as I am working on networking to other Zombie Survivor Camps.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Proud of my son Nathan

Post by Stuka »

Congrats!

Black Powder certainly requires a different skill set compared to a standard cartridge rifle. And being inaccurate as they are, makes being first that much more impressive.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Congratulations Bryan!
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

JAWs7227

Post by JAWs7227 »

The PIG Smith wrote:Krista, we are ready to defend from attacks in The Great Zombie Apocalypse.
I will need someone to cover for me as I am working on networking to other Zombie Survivor Camps.

And when you're underneath and/or underneath the hood of your FSJ. :lol:
Jess

1976 Jeep J10, 131", 360 2v, TH400, QT
1979 Jeep CJ-5, 258 2v, 3-spd - Sold
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 2-dr, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
1992 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 4.0L, TF999

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Most awesome and congratulations to you and your son!

My son Luke was at scout camp all this week and had a great time while earning a couple merit badges. He was nominated to participate in the "Order of the Arrow" camp, completed the mile swim, emergency first aid, wood carving and a few others. The boys endured 100 plus temps over the weekend as well as some pretty nasty thunderstorms earlier this week.

Luke was just promoted to BS First Class so I don't think they have participated in the marksmanship challenges yet, at least with the rifle.

bigun

Post by bigun »

Congrats! :-bd :-bd I've only shot a black powder rifle a couple of times it is deffenatly(sp) a different experience over smokeless. To me it feels more like a push instead of the kick from a smokeless.

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

ScottsMojo wrote:My son Luke was at scout camp all this week and had a great time while earning a couple merit badges. He was nominated to participate in the "Order of the Arrow" camp, completed the mile swim, emergency first aid, wood carving and a few others. The boys endured 100 plus temps over the weekend as well as some pretty nasty thunderstorms earlier this week.

Luke was just promoted to BS First Class so I don't think they have participated in the marksmanship challenges yet, at least with the rifle.
Nathan has been a Life Scout for about 18 months now.
He has been working getting his required Merit Badges knocked for Eagle, before he starts his Eagle Project.

Nathan has been a member of the "Order of the Arrow" for some time now, but at this Summer Camp, he completed the requirements to become part of the 'Brotherhood'
Now, his OA sash will have a the tradional red arrow, but now will have a red line on top and bottom of the arrow.

Just another rank in the OA.
All I know is more $$$ for more uniform stuff. :roll:
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Congrats to both of you. Tell him "nice work, keep it up" from us... :-bd \:D/
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Indeed Bryan! Congrats to both you and Nathan! :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Congratulations to you both... he must be one heck of a shot to qualify with black powder. I guess that we have to keep an eye on him as a future "sure shot".
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" ... DEAD!
"Hole in my pocket"... 1974 Cherokee 360/400/QT

Dumpy

Post by Dumpy »

Awesome!!! I wanted to be an eagle scout but our local small town troop sucked, so I quit :(( looking back, I wish I would have gone to the next town down the hill to finish. I've never shot a black powder rifle but I've heard it's quite a bit harder. Keep him at it!
72 J2000 360 4BBL T18 D44 w/4.09 33s

lindel

Post by lindel »

Outstanding! Awesome achievements all the way around!
Lindel

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

The PIG Smith wrote:
ScottsMojo wrote:My son Luke was at scout camp all this week and had a great time while earning a couple merit badges. He was nominated to participate in the "Order of the Arrow" camp, completed the mile swim, emergency first aid, wood carving and a few others. The boys endured 100 plus temps over the weekend as well as some pretty nasty thunderstorms earlier this week.

Nathan has been a Life Scout for about 18 months now.
He has been working getting his required Merit Badges knocked for Eagle, before he starts his Eagle Project.

Nathan has been a member of the "Order of the Arrow" for some time now, but at this Summer Camp, he completed the requirements to become part of the 'Brotherhood'
Now, his OA sash will have a the tradional red arrow, but now will have a red line on top and bottom of the arrow.

Just another rank in the OA.
All I know is more $$$ for more uniform stuff. :roll:
My Luke is but 13 so he is just cutting teeth in Boy Scouts. He has been scouting since Cubs, and unfortunately he had been relocated about 70 miles away from me by his mother. So, my time with my son doing Scout stuff has been limited to this point.

But, the good news here is that my Luke and his mother are moving about 10 miles from my place! :-bd

Luke and I attended his first meeting with his new troop tonight, and it went ok, being the new peeps and such. Looking forward to many memories with my son doing scout stuff in the near future!!!

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Dumpy wrote:Awesome!!! I wanted to be an eagle scout but our local small town troop sucked, so I quit :(( looking back, I wish I would have gone to the next town down the hill to finish. I've never shot a black powder rifle but I've heard it's quite a bit harder. Keep him at it!
I as a youth suffered the same problem. Completed Cubs but moved to an area (BFE) that didn't have a troop close. So, by default I stopped. Black powder is easy, same principles as modern cartridge. The main difference is in lock time - trigger pull to ignition. Depending on the rifle you are shooting, that can be next to unnoticeable.

RockSteady

Post by RockSteady »

Very impressive achievements! Brings back so many great memories. I was in the BSA and OA until I was 18, and continued with an Explorer post until 21. I have to say, having my dad be an active volunteer and counselor made the experience amazing. We spent so much time together camping and hiking and working on scouting projects; it made everything fun and never felt like work.

You can tell Nathan an Eagle scout encourages him to continue all the way to Eagle. Without tooting my own horn, the Eagle achievement came up several times in very positive ways during interviews, and is pretty highly respected in the law enforcement field, if he's ever thought about that route before.

My favorite old scoutmaster used to offer this bit of advice: Get your Eagle before the two liquids combine...perfume and gasoline!
74 Wagoneer 401 TH400 QT 2" - Newest project, Daily Driver
67 Mustang coupe Brittany Blue 289 4v 5spd 9" 3.70 Posi Wilwood disc all around - Sunday Driver
97 Ducati Montster 750 - Saturday Driver

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

RockSteady wrote:Get your Eagle before the two liquids combine...perfume and gasoline!
Sage advice, that is!