quadratrac ? thinking problem solving(or making worse)

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
husker77

quadratrac ? thinking problem solving(or making worse)

Post by husker77 »

Didn't know where to put this, but I had this idea/question rattling around in my head regarding the quadratrac transfer cases. My understanding is that there in no way to replace the clutches(or whatever) if they go bad, except for getting used ones from another case. So I was wondering how close to the size of a lunchbox locker is that assembly that contains the clutches? I was thinking that one of eatons elockers might work if it is similarly sized. It is a limited slip when not "locked" so I would think it would work real similar to stock. I don't know if it was something that maybe eaton could look at using as a base for a replacement. I know that some of the reviews of the elocker aren't great, but I don't think there is anything that isn't open when not locked.

Just a thought I had when researching the transfer case when I first got my Cherokee.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: quadratrac ? thinking problem solving(or making worse)

Post by Stuka »

I do not know of any way to make that work. It's far cheaper to just buy a part time kit.

The locker for an axle is MUCH larger than the diff in the QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

That is what I didn't know, was the size of the diff in the QT. The elocker idea would work just like the stock QT, torque splitting or completely locked.

I wasn't thinking so much for me to make it work but if it was close to the right size that a manufacture could maybe come out with something without having to completely design/redesign and tool up for it.

It was just an idea I had while surfing the internet, although probably not a good idea.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

It would work pretty cool I think, if it could be made to work. But I do not think whom ever designs and builds it would ever make their money back. The number of QT's is shrinking, and not a lot of FSJ owners want to spend $1k+ on a t-case part.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

Ya I thought the same thing, $1000 to fix a QT, or a few hundred to swap in a different TC. Sometimes you just have to get the ideas out to clear space for the next stupid idea.

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Also, I think the main problem seems to be chains. A new cone with no quality chain would still be pretty costly and useless.
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"