Front suspension knock

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Front suspension knock

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

So every time I turn over 10 mph I get a pretty loud knock. 1987 GW everything is still stock.

I was underneath it last weekend and did not see anything unusual. Nothing is hitting anything or loose. I got my Wagon this spring and have not touched the suspension yet. Shocks are first on my list but will probably replace the u joints and bearings too. I would like to fix this knock at the same time. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side. Was thinking tie rod. Is this common or is is this something I will have to hunt down?
1987 Grand Wagoneer

AwesomeJ10

Re: Front suspension knock

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Is it something silly such as rock caught in the brakes?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Look at the rear spring bushing on the front springs. Look to see if there is small gaps on each side of the bushing and the mount. When turning it can slide back and forth and makes a knock sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Stuka wrote:Look at the rear spring bushing on the front springs. Look to see if there is small gaps on each side of the bushing and the mount. When turning it can slide back and forth and makes a knock sound.

That's where mine was.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

Stuka wrote:
Look at the rear spring bushing on the front springs. Look to see if there is small gaps on each side of the bushing and the mount. When turning it can slide back and forth and makes a knock sound.

I will look at this, Ill let you know what I find.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

Ok, so I don't see a gap on the rear bushing of the front springs on either side. They are cracking and kind of swelling but do not appear to have any gap or marks at the leaf or bracket. They could use replacing but I'm not convinced it is the source of the knock.

The bushings at the sway bar are totally shot. Again, no visible evidence of metal touching metal but need replacing.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

Check for loose track bar hardware or evidence that it has been sliding back and forth on the upper bracket. I have seen worn ball joints make a knocking sound when turning but they will usually do it when driving slowly (parking lots and such). You can jack the front end up and get a pry bar between the knuckle and outer "C" on the axle tube, then pry it outward and see if there is any play in the ball joints. Worn tie-rod ends/drag link ends can cause noise when steering lock to lock, but will do this while stationary as well. Definitely take a look at your spring hangers to ensure that you don't have one trying to depart the frame, look for frame cracks around them as well. :?:

Come to think of it...my rig was doing this as well last time I drove it (9 months ago) and I trouble shot it to spring bushings as well. Seems like it was only when I made left turns at lower speeds.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh yeah, grand wags have trac bars. Could be a likely culprit.

2017 JKU Rubicon

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

+ another on the crackbar, errr tracbar
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

pipefactory

Post by pipefactory »

KC87Wagoneer wrote:So every time I turn over 10 mph I get a pretty loud knock. 1987 GW everything is still stock.

I was underneath it last weekend and did not see anything unusual. Nothing is hitting anything or loose. I got my Wagon this spring and have not touched the suspension yet. Shocks are first on my list but will probably replace the u joints and bearings too. I would like to fix this knock at the same time. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side. Was thinking tie rod. Is this common or is is this something I will have to hunt down?
My 89 was doing the same thing before lift and track bar delete. It was the bolt that holds the track bar to the diff. It has a slot in the bracket and was going back and forth in the slot, tightened the bolt and was gone.

Topic author
KC87Wagoneer

Post by KC87Wagoneer »

Got it. It was the bolt that holds the trac bar to the frame. Thanks for the help!!!
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad you found it!
2017 JKU Rubicon