ebrake strut spring

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
69gladiator

ebrake strut spring

Post by 69gladiator »

I am replacing the rear shoes and wheel cylinders on my 82 Cherokee. One of the ebrake strut springs broke. I purchased new ones from a local parts store The spring does not fit over the end of the strut. I checked on Rockauto and the part number matches what is called for on 82. I checked 81 and 80 and the part number is also correct for those years. I'm hoping that the wrong part was put in the bag. Has anyone experienced this?

Srdayflyer

Re: ebrake strut spring

Post by Srdayflyer »

there was a post he re a few months back regarding this issue and he listed the current part# and the location where he got them, and i too had this issue but i live in az, and was able to find a good one here

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

This is a Jeep factory PN you are referring to? From the 81J book? Looking at the 81J book, Jeep did not offer that spring as a service part, only as part of a "lever and strut package." The '74-80 Jeep factory parts book shows it as part of the spring kit for that axle, again not a separate service part.

This implies that the aftermarket seller somehow included your Jeep in the application information, mistakenly or otherwise.

Suggest you list the part number so we can look at the listing on RockAuto. These are Delco brakes, and the applications info might tell us something. The previous post about this part may have been for the earlier Bendix brakes; I recall the OP found a single listing for the last remaining spring on RockAuto and bought it for something like $60.

It's an anti-rattle spring. Suggest you are better off deleting it or searching for a replacement at the junkyard.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

Might not be totally SAE approved but i filed a bit off the sides of the strut. The spring now fits. Tracking down this stuff gets tiresome.