So im guessing this isnt normal lol

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

So im guessing this isnt normal lol

Post by candymancan »

So tge last couple days ive been hearing a banging noise under the drivers side... checking checking i couldnt find anything.

Until i grabbed the u joint on the axle shaft to see if it was bad... and the antire axke shaft slides foward and back like 1-2 inchs back and forth lol and smacks against the grease cap on the hub

Does it float in the diff ? Meaning no c clips. I honestly forgot. Im assuming it floats in there.. and its secured via the wheel bearing nuts and stuff in the hub. So why the heck is the axle shaft sliding foward and back so much when i grab the u joint ?

My guess.. the nut back off or snap rings broke ? And thats why its doing this ? The other side isnt doing this.

I did both bearings on both sides about 8 years ago.. maybe 45k miles ago.. so i cant honestly remember it all..

For now.. itll be perm parked until i can fix this.. Not sure if the wheel is going to fly off or what
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Re: So im guessing this isnt normal lol

Post by letank »

Read.... took me a while to get it... , too late... yes park it... Remove wheel and inspect bearing retainer
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)