1972 J2000 Missing Rear Axle Parts

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TrickyDick

1972 J2000 Missing Rear Axle Parts

Post by TrickyDick »

Hi all! I’m new to this community and FSJ’s in general. I’m looking to buy my first FSJ in the near future and am looking to trailer it home from out of state. Problem is the rear axles are missing parts and the owner can’t locate them. This is advertised as a 1972 Jeep J2000. Ideally I’d like to source the parts in order to mount the rear wheels to facilitate getting the rig on a trailer, plus I’ll eventually need them anyway. I’m assuming the part(s) I’m looking for press fit onto the axle shafts and are held in place by a nut/cotter pin at the end of the shaft. Does anyone know the part number of these bits or at least a suitable sub that will work for rolling the rig onto a trailer? I need them rather quickly. Thanks in advance.

V/R,,

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeller

Re: 1972 J2000 Missing Rear Axle Parts

Post by Yeller »

That axle is not from a 72, it is from an earlier truck, can’t remember when they used the 2 piece axle design but it was in the the late 60’s. Sorry not any help with part numbers.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would not get too enthused about this truck. How do you know it's a '72? A '72 should have a VIN plate on the driver's side with a VIN starting with "J2" ... the VIN will tell you some limited information, like model, engine, transmission, GVWR, wheelbase. Get the VIN and post it here.

I mention because this is the wrong rear axle for a '72 J-truck. The tapered rear axles with a nutted axle were long gone by 1972, replaced by a flanged axle where the axle shaft and wheel flange were forged as one piece. This is an axle from an older truck, possible this truck was a donor for a different older project truck, or it's not a '72. Not only is the tapered axle a cigar butt - scrap value only - IMO this axle is ruined by rust on the tapered axle surface.

JMO - if the truck is missing important parts like this, I would look for another project. Completeness is important for these trucks, since they were never made in great numbers like the Fords and Chevys. Ford made something like one million light trucks annually, and Jeeps numbers were (my guess) in the low tens of thousands - like 100 Fords for every Jeep truck.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

I agree,i would either low ball the offer or walk on this one , having FSJ fever isnt bad but as said, numbers are small boneyard parts are slim and if you find one, their like a carcass in the desert PICKED CLEAN. with missing major parts its gonna cost you time and money, i found my parts thru FSJ friends networking , when i'm out and about i'm always looking for FSJ parts, last summer i found a drivers side door in a drive by in someone's yard, turned out it was and old lady using it as yard art, because she thought it looked cool. talked her into selling it for 20 bucks. soon or later parts are gonna be non existent and we will have the coolest trucks on the planet. :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: