Bumper Materials

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Joshtradamus

Bumper Materials

Post by Joshtradamus »

Hello! Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but I've come across some conflicting/ambiguous information. I have a 1979 Chief and I'm trying to assess the feasibility of polishing the bumpers versus having them replated.

They're definitely chrome plated (and peeling), and as I understand it, they stopped chrome plating after the 1979 model year in favor of polished aluminum. What I'm not 100% certain of is the underlying material.

I've read in places that these were chrome plated steel. But magnets don't stick, so that can't be it.

The rear bumper is pretty well smoked anyway, so I figured no harm in sanding through the chrome to see how well it would polish up. Just wondering if the darker colored metal that I'm revealing underneath is indeed aluminum.

To add to my confusion, the layer of material in question that sits beneath the chrome appears to be thin and on top of another material which seems to be laminated. It's hard to tell, but the lamination shows in the areas that are damaged. While there is some rust staining near the bolts, I don't see any on the reverse (exposed) side.

Anyone know for sure what these things are made out of?
IMG_0700 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Re: Bumper Materials

Post by SJTD »

If they aren't magnetic they're aluminum. They did plate aluminum.

The standard process for chroming steel is a thick plating of copper that is then polished, a thin layer of nickle to hide the copper color since the chrome is only a few tenths of a thou thick then the final chrome.

It's more or less the same process for AL. Maybe you're hitting the copper?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

they were anodized in most cases, a friend of mine sanded his using multi grade sandpaper 320,400, 600, 800. 1000 and then used polishing compound to a polish to a high shine then clear coated it. sanding it he was able to remove scratches

Topic author
Joshtradamus

Post by Joshtradamus »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info! That explains what I'm seeing. It's definitely plated aluminum. It also sounds like polishing will work. I have to paint the whole thing anyway, so it won't be much more effort to clear those bumpers during the process. Thank you for your help!