Difference in side window gaskets?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Mopar_guy

Difference in side window gaskets?

Post by Mopar_guy »

I was going through older build threads when a comment caught my eye. Someone stated that the side window gaskets for a Cherokee are different between a one-piece glass and the one with a vent window. Is this correct? I'm planning on switching from the vented side window in my 83 Cherokee to a one-piece window. I'm having the glass shop cut dark tinted glass for all of the side and rear. If that gasket is different, is one available? I don't see it on BJ's. Thanks!
83 Cherokee Laredo

threepiece

Re: Difference in side window gaskets?

Post by threepiece »

I suspect they are different but I can’t confirm without looking at my stock.

I probably have the right ones here in the Detroit area.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

CJ7Pilot

Post by CJ7Pilot »

I think there are three different styles of glass.

First is the one-piece glass, which uses a single gasket that goes all the way around, just as you's expect.

Second is a two-piece glass and vent window, mounted separately with individual gaskets, in the same opening. There is a chrome strip that goes around both pieces, making it look like one piece. This is the style I have, and new gaskets are impossible to find. Fortunately, my original gaskets were pliable enough to re-use. I'd like to replace the chrome strip, though.

Third is a window and vent mounted in a one-piece aluminum frame, which gets installed as a single unit, with a single gasket, like most windows. I suspect this gasket is very similar to the first style, but I don't know if they are interchangeable.

I heard BJs was working on a source for the gasket for the one-piece glass, but I don't know where they are with that.

Good luck! :-bd
Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

'78 Cherokee Chief
'82 Scrambler

Topic author
Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to wait until I get it out and see about finding a universal one that will work. Steele Rubber shows a number of different styles so hopefully I can get one to work.

@threepiece, if you find a set of usable one piece gaskets, let me know.
83 Cherokee Laredo