Rear Quarter Panel - Water / Ice discovered...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Greg72

Rear Quarter Panel - Water / Ice discovered...

Post by Greg72 »

No joke.

We haven't had much rain lately, so I can only assume this has been sitting there as maybe 4" of standing water in the DS rear quarterpanel for a LONG time. With the recent cold temps in Austin, it froze to a solid block of ice. This is a 1989 Grand Wagoneer -> BTW.

I can't figure out how this much water got back into that quarterpanel... the rear carpet is completely dry, so it's not likely coming from the headliner or roofrack screws / gaskets.

The fuel filler maybe? I would guess maybe the fixed rear glass but unlike a rolldown window in the doors there isn't an obvious way for water to sneak past. I read someone posted about a possible bad fitment around the rear quarter panels where they were welded near the tailgate which could allow water in pretty easily... still exploring that.

Anyone ever seen this kind of water intrusion in those rear quarterpanel areas?

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

letank

Re: Rear Quarter Panel - Water / Ice discovered...

Post by letank »

Classic... I think both my wag had this.... either the rear taillight gaskets or the window gasket

there is a drain or a lack of welding between panels, on the underneath facing the underside... let me find a pict... cannot find the right pict...

Crawl under the rear quarter panel you will find on the panel facing the inner a crevasse and is blocked by road debris, here is the approximate location from outside, poke a screw or large nail to clear debris
85RQrtrDrain.jpg
found an old pict with the hitch detail, but you can see the opening, this is the passenger side the rear is on the right side of the pict
QuarterPanelDrain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

letank wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:55 pm Classic... I think both my wag had this.... either the rear taillight gaskets or the window gasket

there is a drain or a lack of welding between panels, on the underneath facing the underside... let me find a pict... cannot find the right pict...

Crawl under the rear quarter panel you will find on the panel facing the inner a crevasse and is blocked by road debris, here is the approximate location from outside, poke a screw or large nail to clear debris
85RQrtrDrain.jpg

found an old pict with the hitch detail, but you can see the opening, this is the passenger side the rear is on the right side of the pict

QuarterPanelDrain.jpg

Thanks!

I think I've located it on the driver's side... just a small weep hole (triangle) but it must be blocked with debris currently. I'll have to wait for the ice to melt before I can dig around and clear it out but suspect you are right on the money with your suggestion. Thanks!

-G

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Plugged drains would splain why it didn't get out but not where it got in.

Does your "wood" trim have the mounting hardware?

Anyhoo, do like the book says and use the hose. Start spraying it low down and move up until you find where it's coming in. Prolly the tail lights or side lights as was posited. If the glass leaks you should see it on the inside before it would make it into the quarters. Unless the body where the glass fits is rusted through like mine was.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

SJTD wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:07 am Plugged drains would splain why it didn't get out but not where it got in.

Does your "wood" trim have the mounting hardware?

Anyhoo, do like the book says and use the hose. Start spraying it low down and move up until you find where it's coming in. Prolly the tail lights or side lights as was posited. If the glass leaks you should see it on the inside before it would make it into the quarters. Unless the body where the glass fits is rusted through like mine was.
Yeah... this GW was repainted many years ago and the wood panelling was never reinstalled. All original mounting holes were filled in prior to paint as well.

My money is on the side marker light at this point. I resealed the taillights when I did new replacement lenses but there seems to be a visible gap in the marker light where it attaches to the body now that I am looking more carefully at it...

Another option *could* be the gas filler? Since the woodgrain is missing and the fuel filler trim is not present, maybe this is another easy entry point. We are still below freezing here so I can't spray a hose yet, but will do that in the next day or so when we are back in the 60's again.

-G

letank

Post by letank »

Very good points on the gas tank filler plastic bezel and the quarter panel light!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

those spots on my 90 were rusted out. back when i got the jeep like 8 years ago i didnt know how to weld.. so i cut the rust out and painted it and jb welded plates on it, and its been fine since... lol of course today id weld
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)