T18a Transmission Squeal

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
fjs0001

T18a Transmission Squeal

Post by fjs0001 »

Hey there. I have a 77 Cherokee with a 360 and T18a. It's my first car and I've had it for 20 years. I moved last year and drove it 3.5 hours to my new home, it did fantastic! Now it has started making a loud belt squeal type noise after I release the clutch in lower RPMs. It doesn't do it in neutral, or with the clutch in, while I rev the engine.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to pull the transmission, ugh. I swapped the original t15 for the t18a many years ago and that SOB is HEAVY! I'm not looking forward to it. Anybody have suggestions for me to look at before I start tearing into it?

tgreese

Re: T18a Transmission Squeal

Post by tgreese »

I presume you checked the oil. You can stick your finger in the fill plug hole and feel the surface of the oil. I would check the transfer case oil too; oil is shared between them with a Borg-Warner 3-speed but not with the 4-speed.

Does it matter what gear you are in? In neutral, with the clutch released and the engine running, the input shaft, cluster, 1-2-3 gears and reverse idler gear are turning, but the main shaft is not. Have you tried putting the transfer case in neutral to see if the noise changes? I would run through the gears with the TC in neutral, and listen. If the noise does not change with the TC in neutral, then it seems the problem must come from the synchronizers or the rear main bearing. The rear main bearing is usually not a problem... typically the front main bearing is the one that fails.

Top comes off after that, but you typically can't see much other than the workings of the shift top. Not a lot you can do with the transmission in the truck, sorry to say.

First post! Welcome from Boston.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Obviously what tgreese said is the easiest stuff to check and I would definitely check the oil level first.

I'm just curious if there's any chance that it's the clutch slipping a little bit, from wearing out/deteriorating and starting to go bad. This also leads me to wonder if it's doing it in all the gears or just the one.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
fjs0001

Post by fjs0001 »

Well I had time today to crawl underneath the jeep and it didn't take long to see the problem. My driveshaft was rubbing one of my mufflers. I fixed that and then went ahead and changed my transmission oil. No more noise. I'm so happy that I don't have to fool around with removing the transmission.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

It’s nice when you fear the worst and it’s a simple fix😊
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Simple fix for the win! Always love it when it's easier than you'd expect lol
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.