1977 Jeep Wagoneer fuel line confusion: inline tubes

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Sdsurfer

1977 Jeep Wagoneer fuel line confusion: inline tubes

Post by Sdsurfer »

Good evening all,

I’m hoping to get some help on what I thought was a simple job…

I am redoing the fuel lines on my 1977 Jeep Wagoneer. Previous owner had replaced hard lines with rubber lines in the engine, only hard lines were ones attached to the gas tank (3rd photo). I’ve dropped the gas tank and ordered new hard lines from inline tubes. I ordered:

Item # Description
JPF7702 1977-83 Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer Full Size Front of Tank Fuel Return Line, OE Steel

JPF7701 1977-83 Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer Full Size 6CYL/304CID V8 Tank to Pump Main Fuel Line, OE Steel

I received photo 1 and 2 in my shipment. I can tell the smaller line is the return line and thicker line is the main fuel line. I don’t think I need the 2 short lines (photo 2)? I think I just need the lines in the first photo that are bent. I still got to unbend them but can’t seem to figure out what side goes where.

Anyone else have experience with these?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Jeep Wagoneer
AMC 401 engine
Exploring the rest of it…
Located in Houston, TX

Sargeant Cranky

Re: 1977 Jeep Wagoneer fuel line confusion: inline tubes

Post by Sargeant Cranky »

I wish I could help, Im replacing the fuel tank and lines on my 72 J2000. I was hoping to get some pointers from you.
Old trucks are like old women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.

Topic author
Sdsurfer

Post by Sdsurfer »

I’ll keep you posted, been so busy haven’t had a chance to work on it
1977 Jeep Wagoneer
AMC 401 engine
Exploring the rest of it…
Located in Houston, TX

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hmm, these certainly look different than my '81 had (also a 258). The 258's (80+?) have the hard line go up the passenger side frame rail (as the fuel pump is on the passenger side of the engine). There should be a short section of rubber hose from the tank, to the hardline that goes along the crossmember to the passenger side.

The return line goes down the drive side frame rail.

I was just looking in the '77 TSM, and it only denotes the return line going down the drive side. It does not show the pressure line at all, for either engine configuration. You will likely need some photos from somebody with a late 70's 258 equipped waggy.

EDIT: So, I saw you ordered the fuel line for the 6cyl, so I assumed you had a 6cyl. But I can see in your signature that you have a 401. So most of what I said above can be disregarded for your application.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Looking at the '74-80 parts book, Jeep divides the fuel tank illustrations between '74-77, '78-79 and '80. There are many different combinations of these parts for the era, depending on the year, engine, and model. I can't determine the exact combination of parts for your application from the listings - one would need the original parts as an example, I expect.

The sixes used some different parts for this plumbing from the V8s, regardless of the year. For '77, there was a rear tube and an intermediate tube, and the intermediate tube was different between the V8 and six. This is all mounted on the frame - the engine mounted tubing is completely different between the V8 and six. The rear tube to the tank looks to be the same for both engines.

The return lines for the '77 model 10 are the same, six or V8, again mounted on the frame and in two pieces, front and rear.

Regarding the listing from Inline Tube, I would point out that the 304 was discontinued for the Wagoneer after 1972. Also, the year range given does not make sense when compared to the Jeep factory listing. If there were a year break, I would expect to put all the '77 and earlier Jeeps together, and then '80 and later. '78 and '79 might be ok for the '80 range parts, but they are on the cusp of changing the filler and tank design for the major revision in 1980. This is a common problem with aftermarket sellers - they often are not accurate listing the year, model and equipment ranges for what they sell - sometimes being way off. Don't know if it matters for this part, but it could explain why the tubing you received is so far off from what you have and what you expected to get.

Hindsight - but perhaps helpful - for owners of Jeeps in the '74-80 year range, the factory parts book can be purchased inexpensively on media (CD, USB) and paper several places (sp. RockAuto, BJs, Faxon, others). The parts book will help you, and learning to read the listings will give you more tools to ensure you get the right (or not the wrong) parts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.