Buying my 2nd FSJ

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

sierrablue

Re: Buying my 2nd FSJ

Post by sierrablue »

2Beers wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:41 am sierrablue asked "What Broke?" Short answer, No crank no start. Longer, better, answer. Somewhere in the dark west of Williams AZ we were looking for fuel for the 2nd time. Since we'd only owned the Jeep about 7 hours at this point we were being conservative in our trust of the fuel gauge. Plan was with a 20 gallon tank @ 13mpg we should be able to go about 200 miles between filling up. Not trusting the odometer, we used GPS and the I-40 mile markers to calculate the distance. The first fuel stop with 1/4 tank left calculated out to 16mpg. Questionable but our only data point. GPS said there where several fuel choices on Route 66 coming up. First two we saw were closed. GPS assured us another was open 24 hours and there were two cars there getting fuel. GPS lied to us and the other drivers. Pumps looked on, it would take your credit card but not pump any fuel. When I turned around the other cars were gone. My son said it did not look like they got any gas either. Son said well at least we have the emergency 5 gallon can we brought. I had forgotten about that. Bringing it was a good plan but poorly executed since I had also forgotten to put any fuel in it. GPS said there was another station not far away so we jumped back in to head out. No Crank, no start. My son who is decent at diagnostics with a scan tool and a smoke machine went to look under the hood. At least that would keep him busy while I tried different combinations of starting in neutral and park thinking maybe there was a transmission lock out. Lights worked so the we had juice. I decided to use a pair of pliers to jump across the starter solenoid posts to see if the starter was still alive. Before my son could get the pliers I slammed the hood, declared it fixed, and he should drive. I climbed in, waited, and to his disbelief it fired up. Cause? The "no heat" hose had knocked the small ignition wire off the S terminal of the solenoid. It was the slip on kind and all I had to do was slip it back on. We made it to Flagstaff and in the morning while scraping ice and snow off the windows with my credit card and no gloves I noticed I never put the fuel cap back on. If you look closely at the picture I posted from the next day you can see we are using a fuel exit restraining cap of the duct tape variety.
Lol I'm glad you didn't have anything too bad then. Should be an excellent rig!

Hate the GPSs lying about that kind of stuff. Never makes you comfortable with your trip...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.