First Time Road Driving My FSJ!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

First Time Road Driving My FSJ!

Post by Harry Dawg »

Alright y'all.

Today marked a significant milestone in this build. I got to drive it to and from work for the first time.

I've driven it around the neighborhood, but never long or fast enough to get a real feel for it's manners.

I have been working on this truck for over 5 years now, so this was a pretty awesome day for me.

Inital notes are it performed better than expected, but still have some kinks to work out. For those interested I made some notes, mainly for my reference as I go to work on some of this stuff.

-Temps stayed right at 190 the whole way to and from work.
-Idle was pretty good. I could get it a bit smoother though. I need to raise the float and back the curb idle screw off.
- I think one of these Facebook marketplace mud tires has some severe runout. It bounces you around until about 30 MPH.
-Didn't want to catch 3rd every time, it would just grind, but it would if I shifted firmly but not forcefully. I think I just need to lengthen the shifter linkage an inch or so. ( I was monkeying around with them as I was getting stuck in reverse and 1st. Fixed that, but now 3rd is out of alignment)
- Brakes work great. They will put you through the windshield they are so touchy lol.
- I also added power steering so I could get a drop pitman arm and hopefully correct my turning radius after lift. That works good. I can turn it with one finger and it's a factory Eaton Pump with Saginaw box.
-Closed knuckle Dana 44 combined with the mud tires doesn't turn worth a rip. I had to do a 3 point turn on road because I couldn't cut hard enough, and take a different way in to avoid the tight turns in the down town area. My buddy has an open knuckle passenger side drop out of a Cherokee or something that he said I could have. I think that needs to get done if this thing is going to be a road driver.
-Actually tracks fairly straight for what it is. Didn't have any issues with it wandering all over the road.
- Need to clean clean oil and grime off the back of the block and manifold. Whatever is all over it smells like burning chewing tobacco.

ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Yeller

Re: First Time Road Driving My FSJ!

Post by Yeller »

Woohoo! Huge day. Has to be satisfying :)

I’m going to have to make time to stop in and say hi on my next run to ATL
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

will e

Post by will e »

Congratulations. Always an exciting moment to get it on the road again and, after 5 years, it must be really exciting.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Love that feeling! Now to get to the point where you're spending more time driving it than working on it...

I'd say or filling it with gas but it's a Jeep...unless you make it electric that ain't gonna happen ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Thanks y'all.

Yes, very exciting but also a bit nerve racking driving a rig you put together on a public road lol. I went through last night and retorqued anything I had worked on just to be thorough.

Heck yeah. Come on by next time you're in ATL. Visitors get me out from behind the computer, and you can check out the rig! It's a win-win lol.

It does guzzle some gas, but I have never dreamed of EV swapping it. The 327 is a great motor, and I plan on keeping this motor if possible (dependant on parts availability at time of rebuild).

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thats awesome!!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

baileynb

Post by baileynb »

Awesome.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Harry Dawg wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:10 am Thanks y'all.

Yes, very exciting but also a bit nerve racking driving a rig you put together on a public road lol. I went through last night and retorqued anything I had worked on just to be thorough.

You just need to do more of them😉😂

Now you need to build one in 12 weeks from scratch, drive it out of the shop, onto a trailer, haul it across the country and drive it to some extremely remote locations that also includes public roads, talk about ready to throw up for about 5 days, then it settles in that it will be ok about 1 day before you head back across the country 😂

I will make time to make the visit happen, hopefully it doesn’t take me forever 🤦‍♂️
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

I can't even imagine!

I never understood how people get rigs built in such short time frames. Even if I spend 10 hours a day in the garage, I always get hung up on a hard to find part or something that sets me back a week.

Probably going to take a break from building rigs after this one is finished. I have been grinding it out on my Cheyenne as well as the CJ7... too many pans on the burner right now lol.

will e

Post by will e »

Harry Dawg wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:47 pm I can't even imagine!

I never understood how people get rigs built in such short time frames. Even if I spend 10 hours a day in the garage, I always get hung up on a hard to find part or something that sets me back a week.

Probably going to take a break from building rigs after this one is finished. I have been grinding it out on my Cheyenne as well as the CJ7... too many pans on the burner right now lol.
I tossed together my Cherokee (initial build) in a couple of months. Bought it. Stripped it for painting. Swapped engine/transmission/transfer case (all from other FSJ's). Did SOA/SF. Then drove it 600 to Ouray and back.
But I had most of June to do the work after it came back from paint. It was 2009 and my employer had mandatory non-paid time off. I was also lucky that almost the entire month it never got over 100 degrees. But, whew, a lot of time spent on the rig for sure, it was a marathon but I had a plan and a doner FSJ.

To be fair, that wasn't 'the end of the build'. The next 14 years continued to be a work in progress although I am running out of things to do to it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’ve been told I don’t sleep lol. If I’m really into a build it’s not uncommon for me to get 60 hours a week into it and that’s still working 60ish hours at the day job lol. But I also tend to tear into stuff with enough confidence to fill a colosseum, it usually pays off and things come together quickly lol. But I also do customer projects by the hour and I get those by being efficient. However with my work schedule I’m doing fewer and fewer of those.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Harry Dawg wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:47 pm I can't even imagine!

My issue is money... but once i had the funds.. and the parts.. i rebuilt my cabin floors. Entire bed and bed supports.. frame.. etc in just a month. But ive had it for 5 months.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)