Please help, Trying to ID suspension bits and improve ride

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
scottb

Please help, Trying to ID suspension bits and improve ride

Post by scottb »

Hi errbody, trying to ID the suspension on my 89 GW because it's like driving a tractor and I'd like to get it a little more civilized. I do guess that it's aftermarket, but very limited on part numbers.

Here's what I've got:
Shocks: White with no bellows, ID on the shocks (all 4) say "R26" then X067H1
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 10.26.11 AM.png
I was unable to google anything useful on these shocks, so I guess they came as part of a suspension kit.
The tires are BFG AT/KO 33"s on stock wheels, and this is what the stance looks like:
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 10.28.50 AM.png
On the rear axle there are lift blocks, don't appear to have index holes, thus the truck crabs somewhat, gotta fix that.
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 10.33.54 AM.png
Like I said, the ride is extremely harsh and unforgiving, so I'm wondering if the springs might be aftermarket as well. The shackles look to be original.
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 10.39.30 AM.png
The truck has a BJ's Offroad exhaust, Holley Sniper FI system, aftermarket headers and intake manifold too, so it's definitely been modded to a degree. I bought this sight unseen from a dealer in Florida where it had been registered to a small biz since 2018 and prior to then was California titled. The VIN ends with 109984.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give!

Best,
Scott Brawner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 GW - White/Sand

devildog80

Re: Please help, Trying to ID suspension bits and improve ride

Post by devildog80 »

Nice looking truck.
But remember these are not modern vehicles, and were made to work with some few amenities for comfort, and will ride more like a truck. Part of the joy owning one of these trucks that some of us absolutely love about them.
Softer springs for ride can be had, as the shocks will keep everything in check, but springs will be your ultimate upgrade to get the softer ride you want.
Others here will chime in with their own methods, then it is your call to see what works best for your situation, and determine best solution.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Look at Rough Country suspension and see if it compares to yours. The blocks in the rear are a cheap way to get some lift, and you likely have the original springs with them. I recall Rough Country uses those in their lift kits. If you think the shocks are making the ride too rough, you can remove them and go for a short test drive. Won't hurt anything to drive around the block and compare bump stiffness. You can also reduce your tire pressure - that will remove a lot of the feel-every-pebble stiffness.

Lift springs often upset the suspension geometry. if you lose caster angle, the directional stability will be bad and you'll be constantly correcting to go in a straight line. This does not relate to bump stiffness though.

There is a thread here viewtopic.php?t=12324 regarding Wagoneer springs. In my experience, these Jeeps ride pretty nice with factory suspension. They won't be as precise or responsive as a passenger car, but not bad - fine for a daily driver and to keep the family happy. Pickup trucks usually have the characteristic rear axle slam that these wagons do not. However they get droopy in the back end - "wag sag" - and a lift kit may be the PO's answer to that. Plus these Jeeps often get lifted for appearance's sake. Originally they had station-wagon-like step in, one of their selling points. The 4WD bits are tucked in to the body, allowing a more normal ride height.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
scottb

Post by scottb »

devildog80 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:07 am Nice looking truck.
But remember these are not modern vehicles, and were made to work with some few amenities for comfort, and will ride more like a truck. Part of the joy owning one of these trucks that some of us absolutely love about them.
Softer springs for ride can be had, as the shocks will keep everything in check, but springs will be your ultimate upgrade to get the softer ride you want.
Others here will chime in with their own methods, then it is your call to see what works best for your situation, and determine best solution.
Thanks for the reply, I do get it for sure, one of the things I love about the truck, but I've ridden in other GWs and they do not ride like this at all, so I was just trying to pin down the cause, it could be that these shocks are not application appropriate.
tgreese wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:49 pm Look at Rough Country suspension and see if it compares to yours. The blocks in the rear are a cheap way to get some lift, and you likely have the original springs with them. I recall Rough Country uses those in their lift kits. If you think the shocks are making the ride too rough, you can remove them and go for a short test drive. Won't hurt anything to drive around the block and compare bump stiffness. You can also reduce your tire pressure - that will remove a lot of the feel-every-pebble stiffness.

Lift springs often upset the suspension geometry. if you lose caster angle, the directional stability will be bad and you'll be constantly correcting to go in a straight line. This does not relate to bump stiffness though.

There is a thread here viewtopic.php?t=12324 regarding Wagoneer springs. In my experience, these Jeeps ride pretty nice with factory suspension. They won't be as precise or responsive as a passenger car, but not bad - fine for a daily driver and to keep the family happy. Pickup trucks usually have the characteristic rear axle slam that these wagons do not. However they get droopy in the back end - "wag sag" - and a lift kit may be the PO's answer to that. Plus these Jeeps often get lifted for appearance's sake. Originally they had station-wagon-like step in, one of their selling points. The 4WD bits are tucked in to the body, allowing a more normal ride height.
THanks for the link to that article, super informative!
1989 GW - White/Sand

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I will say alot of times people will put on springs and shocks and torque all that stuff up in the air. One thing you can try is to jack up the Jeep...let the springs hang, loosen the bolts on the shackles lower the Jeep so the weight it on the wheels and then torque to spec. It may help some
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
scottb

Post by scottb »

I'll give that a shot, thanks!
1989 GW - White/Sand