Car shows.. No one seems to care about amc

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

SJohn
Vendor

Re: Car shows.. No one seems to care about amc

Post by SJohn »

I don't go to alot of car shows, mostly cause I have no idea when and where they happen here in DFW but I usually got to the annual car show in my home town. It's a pretty big show and about 150-200 cars ranging from 40s hot rods to brand new C8s. I've done fairly well in the past as usually there's only a handful of Jeeps and I'm typically the only AMC in attendance. But last year I was surprised very few people seemed to even notice my truck or care to look at it. The kid that judged it didn't say a word or ask a single question and I ultimately didn't receive an award out of the handful of Jeeps there. 1st place went to a brand new gladiator with paint matched 20+ inch wheels. I think if the judges are a younger generation they tend to flock to the shiny new stuff and care less about our old iron. Oh well, I like talking to the old timers hahaha. I've seen pictures of the cars and coffee around DFW and it's all new cars and supercars like Ferraris and loborghinis etc that I have no interest in parking next to so I haven't been to one yet.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Owner/Operator/Chief Engineer of Johnson Production FSJ Parts
https://www.johnsonproductionjp.com/

1986 J20 LS Swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17875

1981 Cherokee Chief - Rustard - 2JZ swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=22981

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya younger guys and older guys.. non care about Jeep or amc lol.

They just judge the Super Bee clones.

I love the car shows and all i see are the same damn muscle cars.. Like dodge just made 5000000 super bees.. I bet most out there are just fakes
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

At the car meets the university car club has every week, the SJ sure doesn't fit in, but it certainly gets some attention. Most everyone else has German cars built in the last 5 years...

Planning on going to the local cars and coffee with it this weekend...not expecting much but everybody around here knows the old Wagoneers and lots of people ask about it. It stands out and makes the Subis look dumb on the way up the mountain ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

baileynb

Post by baileynb »

I forgot about the cars and coffee at the gas station Sunday morning. I stopped to put gas in the Wagoneer. Ran in to grab a snack and came out to find a couple people checking it out. One of them said that I could have waited and that they're all "over there" pointing the rest of the group standing around. I just kind of laughed and said maybe some other time, my truck has work to do and isn't pretty enough for that croud... He did not seem amused.

will e

Post by will e »

baileynb wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:49 pm I forgot about the cars and coffee at the gas station Sunday morning. I stopped to put gas in the Wagoneer. Ran in to grab a snack and came out to find a couple people checking it out. One of them said that I could have waited and that they're all "over there" pointing the rest of the group standing around. I just kind of laughed and said maybe some other time, my truck has work to do and isn't pretty enough for that croud... He did not seem amused.
One time I took my wife's 2015 CTS to Home Depot. It's a nice car but not a 'V' model or anything special. As I pulled into the parking lot I was surprised at how many guys stopped and turned as I drove past. It was really weird.

On the way out I saw that about 20 to 30 CTS's were parked there. It was some kind of club meeting. I stopped and chatted for a bit.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

I think AMC will always be in the 4th row of show's yet the few whom realize us know what they are seeing. One thing you can always do when you bring your jeep out to one of put a little sign on it saying:
"Free towing to the Top of the sand dunes for all you 'chevy & Fords" trying to get there.

iharding

Post by iharding »

seventynine wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:46 am Well…technically you have a Chrysler based on your signature ;~>

I see a few AMX and Javelins from time to time. They just didn’t make as many. And to be honest, the big three were making better looking muscle cars IMO.
The Javelin stands up to the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Barracuda… all handsome cars. AMC did make some super ugly cars though.

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

iharding wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:29 pm
seventynine wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:46 am Well…technically you have a Chrysler based on your signature ;~>

I see a few AMX and Javelins from time to time. They just didn’t make as many. And to be honest, the big three were making better looking muscle cars IMO.
The Javelin stands up to the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Barracuda… all handsome cars. AMC did make some super ugly cars though.
Absolutely the Javelin stands up with the other pony cars. Here's mine that will grab attention away from the others. :-bd
Z1.jpg
Z2.jpg
Z3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That’s a beautiful car!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

That Javelin is gorgeous!

I realize my Jeep is more Kaiser than AMC, but it's definitely getting some looks, and at the meets I've been going to, it's either the only V8 there, or the only "real" V8 there (not an Infiniti or something along those lines), and when I rev it up people say they think for half a second they're at a '70s Trans Am race.

I'll grant you I've been going to college car meets, where the Jeep is easily in the top 3 oldest cars, usually also one of 3 domestics, and one of about 3 4x4s. The torque of the Buick was enough for a guy in a Beemer to get beat off the line, which lead him to return it because "my brand new BMW sports car should NOT be outrun by a 50-year-old Jeep that looks like a 1970s soccer mom car."

They definitely get weird attention, and maybe they deserve more, but they'll def. turn some heads. :-bd
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Thanks for the complements. It gets driven a lot. I'm 100 miles short of 8k miles on it for this summer. I'm going to start building my Cherokee this winter that's sort of what Ghinmi (Greg) did. 2wd on a Chevy truck chassis but I'm using a Roadster Shop SPEC chassis. I have a 6.4 Scat Pack Hemi with an 8 speed trans going in it. It'll be larger and more comfortable than the Javelin for doing road tours that we like doing. It'll haul more luggage as well. LOL I plan on doing a build thread on here once I'm under way with it. I've been getting ideas from here and I like to share mine as well.
83 Cherokee Laredo

will e

Post by will e »

Took the Jeep to a local 'Crawlers and Coffee' yesterday. Off road rigs, lots of wrangers, toyotas, a few bronco's, a square body, a 1960 kaiser, a land rover or two. And probably a few other things. No side by side or 'buggy' type rigs.
I had one of two FSJ's. The other is owned by a vendor. You can see it on his front page: https://www.bulldogwinch.com/

We got LOTS of attention. But, in a sea of wranglers, my rig tends to stand out a bit.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

cone

Post by cone »

AMC was just like every other company, they made some good looking cars and some ugly ones. Anyone remember the Aztec?

iharding

Post by iharding »

cone wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:56 am

AMC was just like every other company, they made some good looking cars and some ugly ones. Anyone remember the Aztec?
Can’t blame amc for that one! That was a Pontiac!

will e

Post by will e »

iharding wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:42 pm
cone wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:56 am
Can’t blame amc for that one! That was a Pontiac!
Was the Aztec inspired by the Gremlin?

Sarahclark

Post by Sarahclark »

Stuka wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:04 pm We have a lot of Jeeps show up at Car shores here, and normally a few AMCs.
https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/
Could be a regional thing. japanese chef knives Sure, we also have a lot of vehicles from the big three, but also plenty of less common stuff. But we also don’t have issues like rusty and such, so just a lot more cars overall.
Sounds like your car shores are a haven for the uncommon, a utopia where Jeeps and AMCs mingle with the big three without a trace of corrosion