Early Wag Radiator? Available? Different?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Early Wag Radiator? Available? Different?

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Hey all!

Never thought I'd be back here with a tech question, but my brother in law picked up a 69 Wag thats missing the radiator completely. Trying to cross reference parts, I'm not seeing anything listed for pre-74? Are the early radiators different? I'm pretty sure I used a regular wagoneer one in my 73, but I'm not sure if the earlier trucks had a different support or what.

Any info would help, thanks!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

tgreese

Re: Early Wag Radiator? Available? Different?

Post by tgreese »

A '69 will be the Buick 350 engine or the Rambler 232 six. Which is it?

Note the V8 core support opening is wider than the six. The later radiators for the 258 will probably work for the 232.

The '62-73 parts book is on the TOm COllins site. Cooling is group 2. There are only two numbers for the 350, either with TH400 or without (947805, 947804 resp.). I expect they are the same except for the ATF cooler in the bottom tank.

BJ's shows an aluminum replacement; kinda pricey. Comparing that with the 360 radiator, the top outlet is on the opposite side. You might be able to make that work, but you'd need to invent the hose routing.

Have you tried searching for junkyards near you for any Wagoneer radiator? Try car-part.com
A real radiator shop could move the top outlet on a 360 radiator.

Pretty sure the only difference between '71-73 and '74-on V8 radiators (304, 360, 401) is the direction of the overflow outlet. Earlier ones go right and dump on the ground, later ones go left into a bottle... I think.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Its a B350, thanks for the info!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I did a little fabbing on mine; I didn't really wanna pay $650+ for a radiator on it.

I got a 27.5" clamp-in SBC radiator from Summit, and the clamps and insulators from them too. I welded the lower tabs into the valence (the lower piece where nobody sees it; not the FRONT of the valence), and built a bracket for the top. The top just bolts into the factory upper holes. This also allowed me to run the electric fan I wanted ('90s Taurus) w/o clearance issues. If you want pics/part numbers just let me know.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.