Ttb swap?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Tonyt2293

Ttb swap?

Post by Tonyt2293 »

So I recently picked up a 69 j2000 fairly complete I need to swap the axles has a closed knuckle 44 and a d53 in the rear . So been thinking of swapping in the axles from my 91 f250 has the sterling 10.25 rear and ttb dana 50 front been trying to find some builds but no luck should I just scrap the idea and just leave it as a crazy idea and swap in some solid axles ?

tgreese

Re: Ttb swap?

Post by tgreese »

Have you measured the track of the Ford and compared with the Jeep? Overall the Jeep is small for a pickup. My understanding is full-size pickup axles are too wide for a J-truck, Ttb or not.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Width isn't an issue--the '67-pre'97 Fords are all right in that 65" WMS range.

I wouldn't take the ifs from the Ford tho. Those are not a great design with all the negative camber they induce when the front end unloads. I mean it works but it's not great.

Must be a light duty f250 if it has the IFS???
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sierrablue wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:21 pm Width isn't an issue--the '67-pre'97 Fords are all right in that 65" WMS range.

I wouldn't take the ifs from the Ford tho. Those are not a great design with all the negative camber they induce when the front end unloads. I mean it works but it's not great.

Must be a light duty f250 if it has the IFS???
All 80-96 F250's had TTB.
Tonyt2293 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:58 pm So I recently picked up a 69 j2000 fairly complete I need to swap the axles has a closed knuckle 44 and a d53 in the rear . So been thinking of swapping in the axles from my 91 f250 has the sterling 10.25 rear and ttb dana 50 front been trying to find some builds but no luck should I just scrap the idea and just leave it as a crazy idea and swap in some solid axles ?
It would be a lot of fab work to make a TTB work in a J-Truck. The frame is not near what it needs to be for the TTB brackets. You would be time and money ahead to just swap in a stronger solid axle. And move to the 74+ front spring setup at the same time, which were under the frame.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

In my opinion the only reason to intentionally swap to ttb is chasing wheel travel. That is the only place it really shines, but is terrible bunch of work. Personally I’d put in a solid axle of your choice. You are correct, 65” is the perfect width.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

As the owner/operator of a TTB I'll second Yeller's comments and add some.

The D50 TTB is the worst possible option. The beams on it are short, so the camber change vs. suspension movement is increased over the D44 TTB. There is no gain in strength with the D50 over the D44 because they both use the same U-Joints in the steering and mid-axle locations and these already are the weakest parts in the whole axle.

If you go with longer than stock radius arms you can get the caster change into a reasonable range.

Excepting the whole U-Joints strength issue, the rest of the system can be built to be extremely stout and it can cycle 12+ inches fairly easily. Some COTS TTB Systems are strapped down to 16"! There are good reasons to limit the droop of this system, if 16" of wheel travel isn't enough....
Two of those COTS options: Option 1 Option 2 Then there is the orinator of TTB suspension tech: https://autofab.com/category/suspension ... uspension/ No, they're not inexpensive, and yes some probably can build their own for a lot less. However there are a lot of nuances to building a strong TTB, what to do about that middle U-J is just one of them.

I have been outright abusive on a couple occasions chasing broken desert racers and once just trying to find a speed on Saline Valley Rd. that wasn't rattling my teeth out (nowhere between 1mph and 60mph was smooth!). No problems beyond normal wear and tear.
thom

Where does that road go?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

ntsqd wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:15 pm As the owner/operator of a TTB I'll second Yeller's comments and add some.

The D50 TTB is the worst possible option. The beams on it are short, so the camber change vs. suspension movement is increased over the D44 TTB. There is no gain in strength with the D50 over the D44 because they both use the same U-Joints in the steering and mid-axle locations and these already are the weakest parts in the whole axle.

If you go with longer than stock radius arms you can get the caster change into a reasonable range.

Excepting the whole U-Joints strength issue, the rest of the system can be built to be extremely stout and it can cycle 12+ inches fairly easily. Some COTS TTB Systems are strapped down to 16"! There are good reasons to limit the droop of this system, if 16" of wheel travel isn't enough....
Two of those COTS options: Option 1 Option 2 Then there is the orinator of TTB suspension tech: https://autofab.com/category/suspension ... uspension/ No, they're not inexpensive, and yes some probably can build their own for a lot less. However there are a lot of nuances to building a strong TTB, what to do about that middle U-J is just one of them.

I have been outright abusive on a couple occasions chasing broken desert racers and once just trying to find a speed on Saline Valley Rd. that wasn't rattling my teeth out (nowhere between 1mph and 60mph was smooth!). No problems beyond normal wear and tear.
Lot of first have truth there! Ntsqd knows his stuff.

Welcome aboard TS! Glad to see you over here too. Now start a thread post some pics of that fine waggy you acquired😎
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

thom

Where does that road go?