Weird Transfer Case Question

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Weird Transfer Case Question

Post by ProTouring442 »

I once saw a motorcycle hauler based on a GM truck where the bed was very low. Apparently, they converted the transfer case to run in FWD only.

I would like to do this on a motorhome build (Clark Cortez) I am considering.

Any thoughts on how? What case to use?

I know, I'm a lunatic. :shock:

Thanks!

sierrablue

Re: Weird Transfer Case Question

Post by sierrablue »

Driver's or pass drop?

Any tcase that goes straight through (no diff) should be fine, although for that I would think you'd want a gear driven over a chain-driven case. D18, D20, D300, NP205, Atlas...I'm sure I'm missing some.

I would say you'll probably want CV joints over u joints in the front (axle shafts), if you can. If I didn't have 2wd I'd be looking at that for mine.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If its something as heavy as a motorhome, best to use something like an NP205. You would want it to be gear driven (The chain drive cases really aren't designed to have 100% of the torque going through the chain), and it would need to be one with a pump so that it doesn't overheat (Common issue for cases like the NP200).

The bigger issue I see is that putting a solid axle that is strong enough for the load is going to lift the motorhome way up, defeating the purpose of it being low. Unless you are going with an IFS setup from like a GM truck. Maybe that can be grafted onto which ever frame is being used.

And then it back you would basically use a trailer axle or something without a pumpkin to get the bed height to be lower.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Stuka wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:40 pm If its something as heavy as a motorhome, best to use something like an NP205. You would want it to be gear driven (The chain drive cases really aren't designed to have 100% of the torque going through the chain), and it would need to be one with a pump so that it doesn't overheat (Common issue for cases like the NP200).

The bigger issue I see is that putting a solid axle that is strong enough for the load is going to lift the motorhome way up, defeating the purpose of it being low. Unless you are going with an IFS setup from like a GM truck. Maybe that can be grafted onto which ever frame is being used.

And then it back you would basically use a trailer axle or something without a pumpkin to get the bed height to be lower.
From the factory, the Clark Cortez is a FWD motorhome. They're relatively small (20', tops), but use a Chrysler Slant 6 and a Clark, 4-speed manual transmission.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, found some photos of them. Its a neat setup, gives a lot of interior space, and a low deck height. But they use a transaxle. I am not sure you could use a conventional engine/trans/t-case setup, as the front axle would have to go through the transmission, even if it was IFS. its all pretty low slung.

Unless the Clark was just an example, and not what you would actually be using.

There was a version that used the engine/transaxle from an Olds Toronado.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Stuka wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:16 pm Ahh, found some photos of them. Its a neat setup, gives a lot of interior space, and a low deck height. But they use a transaxle. I am not sure you could use a conventional engine/trans/t-case setup, as the front axle would have to go through the transmission, even if it was IFS. its all pretty low slung.

Unless the Clark was just an example, and not what you would actually be using.

There was a version that used the engine/transaxle from an Olds Toronado.
I may go with a Toronado UPP. Like I said, just thinking at the moment. There's a Clark up the street from me I'm considering.

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

Full Custom Ian, who has a YouTube channel, is building a front wheel drive car hauler using a similar technique that you are researching. He has stated how he wants this to be low-ish. Maybe his videos and future build can help?
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

Most of the front wheel drive motorhomes I've worked on were 70s GMs with the 455 V8 and the Olds Toronado transaxle. I did work on a mid 80s Revcon front wheel drive that was set up as a command center for law enforcement and it had a 454, Turbo 400 married to a NP205 locked in 4 high.